close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Report:woodie and teal

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Sep 20, 2003.

1. noway

noway

Early season duck started down here ( wood & teal only ). I've been up ever since 02:00 to get the early jump on the ducks.Not bad in less than 3 hour of hunting on Lake Big O and standing in about 24" inches of water. Alot of wood ducks flying around and I was able to knock down 3 ( state limit is 4 and of which 2 max wood duck ). The ducks #2&3 where a double on one shot.

The teals where sparsely flying and completely ignored the decoys and where a mother to hit. They never came in close and where flying by like a F16 fighter on afterburn. The Woodies that where flying where ever where flying in double or triple 9 out of 10 times, and they almost did a U turn at the bigger of the 3hours of shooting to come back and look at the decoys. I only spent 10shells and the 3 Woods that where drop, fell to #6 Hevishot 2.75mag 1 1/4 oz.

Shooting Ducks is in noway a comparison to hunting Coot.

In one big sentence "I'm hook on this Duck Thing!";b

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Coot have the brains of a flea, yet they seldom use them. I had one swim within 5 feet of my blind and just sit there for about 15 minutes. I didn't have the heart to kill the fool. Now woodies and teal are "real" ducks.

Early season duck hunting is a blast. The real test of how much you love duck hunting is late in the season when you've been standing in freezing water all morning with a northern wind dropping the temp to -5 degrees and your gun is frozen to your gloves. All just to get one mallard.

When I think back to some of the conditions I've hunted through I think I was a damn fool. But I'll still jump at the chance to get out there.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

3. noway

noway

{The real test of how much you love duck hunting is late in the season when you've been standing in freezing water all morning with a northern wind dropping the temp to -5 degrees and your gun is frozen to your gloves.}

kinda hard to happen here in warm Fl;f
    But I understand your point.

I kinda think people think we are all crazy for getting up at 0200 , standing in 2 feet of water, at pitch blackness of the night @ 0500, in waters that have things jumpin around,and splashin about, that frequently have snakes and alligators.

While the action slowed down I had to laugh once when I saw a small bass sitting suspend about 2" over my knee. Boy he was shocked when he realize I wasn't part of the scenery.

{Sounds like you had a lot of fun.}

Yeap,sure did! I had a blast (pun intended)

4. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I’ll be in the UP this weekend for Michigan’s Northern duck opener! Can’t freak’en wait!

You guys should try late season up there... breaking ice just to put out the decoys!

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Have you guys ever tried layout shooting? I've done it once and that was way to hardcore for me.

Laying down in a shallow boat with waves taller than the sides, freezing your butt off is no fun. Not to mention trying to actually hit a duck from a boat getting tossed around by 40 degree water. When I asked about falling in the water the old timer we went out with said, "You prolly won't drown if you don't go into shock. Don't worry we'll fish you out.". ;P

I'll stick to ponds where I can plant my feet firmly in the muck. ;f

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Where at in the UP? One of the lakes I hunt is a "border" lake... half in the UP, half in WI.

Back in the fall of '96 (I think it was 96... could've been 97 though) we hunted the last few days of the season by walking out on the lake on 4-5" of ice, shoveling the snow off a few hundred square foot patch of ice before dawn (so it looked like an open pond from the air) and set bluebill decoys right on the ice. We laid down in the snowbanks, right next to the open area we had shoveled, and covered up with white bedsheets. Best damn hunt I've ever had. I wasn't a bit cold... too busy shooting and reloading to feel it.

Another time, very late in the season (but the bluebills were everywhere) we went out before dawn to my blind in a small creek impoundment. The day kept getting colder, and it was very windy. The temps rapidly fell down to about 20 degrees by noon... and kept dropping, but I had brought along a blind heater, and we were nice and snug, waiting for just one more flock to limit out. We waited, and waited. The forming ice, slowly crept outward from the shoreline. All of a sudden the wind quit blowing. Within minutes, it was dead calm, and the temp was now down to about 10 degrees. Without the wind stirring things up, that shallow creek impoundment froze up, from end to end, in about 10 minutes. We started picking up the decoys, but had to chop the last few loose with a canoe paddle. It had taken us only 10 minutes to get from the boat landing to the blind in the morning, with just a trolling motor on my 14' johnboat... but it took us almost 3 hours to get back! By the time we reached the boat landing, I was busting 2-3" of ice in front of my boat with the paddle. The wooden canoe paddle was a piece of junk by then.

But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. ;f

7. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I probably couldn't be farther from you as I'll be off the East side of the UP. Cedarville to be a bit more exact.

8. noway

noway

I'm currently in Chicago and It would be so easy to hunt ducks in the harbor ( joke ) downtown. I counted about 60-100 ducks between the LSD drive and Navy pier. I think they look like "Gadwalls" and the Candian geese are about a dime a dozen with 11-12 other them flying in the classic V-flocks formation.

Great...........

I bet the UP would be dandy with ducks of all shapem sizes, & types.

9. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

From the scouting we did last weekend... you'd be placing a bet that's a "sure thing"! Still lots of Canadian geese as well up there... honk, honk… BOOOM!!!

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Michigun,

Are your goose limits limited up there like they are in OH? My dad tells me that in the northern part of OH, because of the Richardson goose, that the bag limits are cut down to 1 a day. I guess this special goose is some sort of smaller version of the Canada goose.

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

2 a day where I'll be at mpol777... most of MI is 2 right now.

12. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Yep, you're right. I'm near the far western end of the UP. The "border" lake I occasionally hunt is in Gogebic County. You can't get any further west in MI than that.

Best of luck... and stay safe. The weather looks to be pretty nasty this weekend. Might even get some "lake effect" snow over this way, by Monday.

BTW... I have not yet seen any big flocks of geese migrating south. Our goose season opened last Saturday. If they start to come this weekend.... lucky us, eh?