Glock 19 Replacing springs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ExecutiveWill, Aug 26, 2018.

1. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

So the "my Glock fell apart" thread got me thinking. I'm going to hit 10,000 rounds through my gen 4 19 probably this November or so. There's been no failures at all with it and the only thing I've done is change the recoil spring at a bit over 5,000 rounds.
    How many of you change out springs, etc. every 10,000 rounds? If not, is there any set interval you have for spring changes, etc?
    This is a carry gun. I already have spare parts, but haven't seen the need to change anything as of yet. It's been a perfect gun.
    So how many rounds between spring changes, etc.?
    Just looking for a consensus.

2. cciman

cciman MacGyver

No CONSENSUS, No CONSENSUS, No CONSENSUS.

ExecutiveWill likes this.

3. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

Me. :mememe:Every 10,000 rounds no matter how well it's ruining. Now this is for my Glocks which are for self defense.

Even the aftermarket recoil spring's that clam to go longer then 4,000 or 5,000 rounds get swapped. Spring's are cheap insurance.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

mrmike7189 and ExecutiveWill like this.
  4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Yes, if the gun is working perfectly you should definitely start changing parts.

5. Cpt.J

Cpt.J

First thing I do with a new Glock is replace the OEM RCS with a stainless or tungsten spring.
    I then use the OEM for spare parts.
    Just my preference, crazy or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers likes this.
  6. AdamRodgers

Well we both must be nut's then, I run the Jager Stainless Gen 4 captured guide rods in my 2 G17's and G19's. I will run the ISMI Flat recoil spring's in stock lbs for every day and swap them out for a heaver one for practice. I shoot alot of hotter ammo when practicing. Reckon I am crazy there, but I try my best to practice like I would fight, even down to a stout recoiling ammo.

That is just to keep the frame's from geting the snot beat outta them. I do keep the factory recoil springs for backups.

Cpt.J likes this.
  7. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

Lol. I'm my own worst enemy with these types of things. My thoughts too are not to touch it until it has problems. Just don't want anything going out at the worst possible time (however unlikely that is).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  8. sonoma

sonoma

I replace the trigger spring every 10,000 rounds.Seems like mine usually break between 12,000 -15,000 rounds on average.

ExecutiveWill and AdamRodgers like this.
  9. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

That's the one I'd be mostly concerned with at this point.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  10. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

One thing you could do is set up a practice gun, and never replace anything on that gun until it breaks. Then you'll actually have some data.

What if trigger springs really last 200k, and you replace yours with a defective one at 10k? How would you know? What's the relative value of a proven part vs. a newer, unproven part?

I have about 300k total on 9mm Glocks. I've never broken a trigger spring. The trigger spring in my main practice gun has over 100k on it. It's outlasted several slides and frames. This is a fact, not just something I saw on the Internet.

Mr Meeseeks, 10or45 and ExecutiveWill like this.
  11. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

That's a good post, Sciolist. Thanks.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  12. AdamRodgers

I will also take one of mine and try the same.

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Another example: The mag catch spring broke in one of my guns at a very early interval. It just snapped in half. That's never happened in any of my other guns, including my dry gun, which has been reloaded hundreds of thousands of times.

So, when I set up a new frame, should I transfer over my old spring, or put in a fresh one? What if I threw out one of the ones I have in service, and put in one like the one that snapped? That can't be the only defective mag catch spring in the world. There was no apparent flaw before it broke...

14. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

Between 10K and 12K, I also replace the extractor plunger spring, firing pin spring, firing block spring, and slide lock spring. I also replace the extractor and slide lock even if they are still working fine. When I change the firing pin spring, I also replace the cups.

Glock parts are inexpensive and readily available. So I keep spare parts handy. They are also so easy to replace with only a punch.

Cpt.J and AdamRodgers like this.
  15. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

My Lord, swapping all those springs could run $19! :)

refugeepj and mrmike7189 like this.
  16. jsirles

jsirles

While I get the general sentiment here, we're talking about springs, which are a wear part that should be replaced before they become a problem. This seems comparable to someone thinking they will wait for their engine to seize before considering changing the oil.
    Springs are being built with pretty good consistency these days and I have no reservations about replacing them and knowing they'll work as required. Buy OEM or Wolff and you'll be fine.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  17. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I think it is important to differentiate between a "carry" platform and a range-only pistol...the OP did not specify...if for EDC then replace...if not for EDC then optional

AdamRodgers and jsirles like this.
  18. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

It is an EDC weapon. I thought I had mentioned it in my OP.

19. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Do you wait for a breakdown to change the oil or tune your car? Tune ups are very long interval now, so many may not keep a car long enough to get to it .
    Yes my springs are changed every ~8K rounds. A friend is a Glock Armeror, so all I have ot do is come up with parts. 8K is his recomendation to start looking for parts and getting together with his schedule.

Cpt.J likes this.
  20. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

every 5,000 rounds (40caliber) and every 7500 rounds ( 9mm)is what I've seen on Glock gunsmithing pages. Makes sense to me and a new RSA costs $15. cheap insurance

AdamRodgers likes this.