Replacing sights on RIA 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by firefighter4215, Sep 24, 2015.

1. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Has anyone replaced a staked on front sight on a 1911 GI model? I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 compact, and just learned that there are stake-on night and fiber optic sights available. I just wondered how big of a deal it is, and what to get.

2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Doing it is not hard, but if you are not familiar or comfortable. I'd pass it off to someone that could.

You would have to pull the front sight off. Which is not as easy as it sounds. Pretty much a staked sight is this... Post goes through hole in the slide, and a tool swages the post to a larger diameter than the hole on the slide.

You might have to do a little careful work on the inside of the slide to help break the swage. Insert the new sight and with the tool, restake it. The tools are available from Brownells.

Now since you are interested in night sights, and would have to spend money on a smith or the tool. Why not consider sending the slide off to Novak and having them do the work? They could probably stake the sight, but they could also dovetail the slide for you.

Just a thought.

3. bczrx

bczrx

As a factory sight, I don't know that it is attached as firmly as one from a gunsmith.

I removed my staked on front sight from an old 1911 slide following the type of advice listed above. It worked fine.

I had a nightsight set installed by a company that went bankrupt a month after I got my slide back.

The sights went bad 3 years later, and they were that companies sights.

About a year ago I went to pull the sights off to have the slide refinished. I didn't pay enough attention and they had been silver-soldered into place.

I pulled so hard it cracked the slide itself near the hole.

I had a spare slide, so it didn't kill me, but I was sad at an avoidable mistake. Oh well- the sloppy fit slide died.

The moral? Check the inside of the slide carefully and relieve it before driving out/pulling out the front GI staked sight.

Or, have it done by a professional.

4. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Yep.

I just picked up a new one today. It's a factory stake job that appears to have been soldered on the inside. It was cleaned up well and hardly noticeable.

5. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin

6. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Thanks for the replied. It was going to be quite expensive to have the slide milled, then have Novaks installed. I thought if I could get a decent stake on front sight, that might be the way to go. I guess I have some thinking to do.

7. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast