Replacing Graphics Card...Can You Help?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nalapombu, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

I DON'T have an installation question, I have a product question that I am hoping someone can sort out for me.
    On my dads system (my old Dell) the video card is bad and needs replacing. To make sure I was going to get the right card I dug out my system documentation to see what type of card it is. Here is what type of card I have:

NVidia TNT2 M64 Graphics with 32 Meg.

Now what I need to know is WHAT type of card to get to replace it. Is my card an AGP card or is it a PCI card?
    I am NOT interested in the brands or specs right now, I just need to know the TYPE, I guess.
    Thanks and I hope you can settle this for me.

Nala

P.S. What's the difference between an AGP card, a PCI card or the other type?

2. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Those Nvidia TNT cards were made in both PCI and AGP.If it's the original Dell supplied card it's most likely an AGP card.Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.I don't think that card even has a fan to go bad.Which model Dell PC is it?

4. modgun

modgun CLM

I dont know the technical details, but agp is dedicated, tailored graphics support (graphics only), while pci is for lots of stuff, including graphics cards.

AGP is brown and shorter than the white PCI slots.

[​IMG]

I had that same card years ago, dont remember if it was agp or pci or whether it was offered in one or both. It was an okay card but is now outdated, and some things, IIRC, just wont run on it because it is an "mx" card.

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

modgun,

Great avatar.;3

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you have a long brown slot above the white PCI slots, you are set.

Get an AGP-based nVidia FX5200 or FX5500 if you aren't going to play 3D video games with this rig. Costs $70 to $100.

Get a 6600GT if you want to get a very nice midrange GFX card that will play games pretty well. $200.

Get a 6800GT or Ultra if you want the best of the best for your graphics experience. Expect to pay $350 and up.

Just download an app called Driver Cleaner, delete the graphics driver from Add & Remove Proggies, and reboot into Safe mode.

Run Driver Cleaner in SM to remove all traces of nVidia's old drivers.

Then shut down and physically swap cards.

Restart the PC into Normal mode and let the system install the new card with the drivers on the CD that will come with it.

And, just like that, you have installed a new graphics card.

PS. If it is a PCI card, don't get anything pricier than the 5200 series PCI card. And know that your board does not support the newer PCI Express cards that you will see while shopping.

7. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

I will be doing this in XP, not Win 98 like I started with when the system was new.
    The System that it came on was the Dell Dimension XPS-T series with a 700 MHz chip. I haven't been under the hood for a VERY long time so I cannot truthfully remember what slot it was in.

Fastvfr, thanks for the suggestions. I haven't used XP very much, I am a NOO-B with it so I do not know if it has a SAFE mode or not. Do your instructions still hold if the OS is XP? Let me know and I'll appreciate it.
    This could get ugly by the weekend..........
    Thanks everyone.

Nala

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Oh yeah, it's still F8 at the POST screen to get Safe Mode.

That ensures there's nothing nVidia running when you remove the rest of the driver remnants.

A machine upgraded from Win98 to XP will need the same steps as a new one that has always had XP on it. No differences.

Another course of action, if you are having any other difficulties, would beto back up all vital info to disk and re-format the hard drive with NTFS before reinstalling XP.

You can avoid Driver Cleaner that way, at least.