Replacing bead front sight on a Winchester Model 12?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Vigilant, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Vigilant

Vigilant

DAW9347 likes this.
  2. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

There is still enough metal there that if you use a bead sight with 3-56 fine threads on its shank it can be done. I've done it on many plain barrels, and it works very well. If you have trouble finding a bead with that size threads, send me an email. I know of a place that has those.
    What sort of machinery do you have to do the job? There are a couple of ways to do it, on a drill press, or better still, a milling machine with a drill chuck in an R8 collet.
    I would leave the barrel in the action, and then use the action bottom to level the barrel and then use this tool to find TDC of the barrel and where you want to drill a pilot hole using an "O" center drills small end, or if you have an edge finder, that works well also:

[​IMG]

If you only have a drill press, it would help to have an "X"-"Y" vise locked down on your presses table, with pretty much the same procedure as described.
    Drill the hole required for the 3-56 threads and then tap through and into the bore. I prefer red Loctite, but it's your choice. Once the bead is in place, it's simple to sand the protruding threads in the bore even with the inside of the barrel. Just go slow and your job will look just fine.

FullClip and Vigilant like this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I may not be the greatest shotgun expert, but if the barrel has been cut down, I don't see any way the metal can be thinner than the part where the original bead was screwed in - it's the same or thicker.

DAW9347 and Vigilant like this.
  4. Vigilant

Vigilant

Thanks for the input, gents. Looks like it's time to call Bill the gunsmith.

5. Vigilant

Vigilant

Not sure what he has. Hope you don't mind if I share your response with him.

DAW9347 likes this.
  6. Dave514

Dave514

7. Vigilant

Vigilant

No rib. Thanks for the input, but I had a pretty crappy time with a set of Williams Firesights. I agree, they work just fine when they work.

8. DAW9347

You sir, are absolutely correct and, I did think of that, but didn't put it in words. Thanks or doing so.
    Yes, the barrel walls at that point will be thicker, but not a whole lot. Still, a good point to bring up.

9. DAW9347

Absolutely not! I'd much rather deal with "civil" folks like yourself around here, than a couple others who just want to argue.

Vigilant likes this.
  10. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow

As someone from the south, I cringed so hard reading this...

;)