GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
We lived in the house for 27 years. I bought her out of her share of the house. She had no income and didn’t work until the youngest child was 7.
Hers?

Either way a little disturbing.
My EX had some novelty switch plates. They were definitely hers

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
Lots of Electricians will tape around the the screws, even though it is not required, especially with a metal box. Some metal boxes don't have much side clearance, so if the receptacle mounting screws loosen up, the receptacle wire connecting screws can ground out on the side of the box.
That could actually be safer if it trips the breaker. I have a thermal camera and part of my home inspection process is to look for warm outlets and switches. I have caught loose wiring in both an old and virtually a new home that way.

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
What catagory a voltage is in is different depending on what country you are in.

Historically in the USA these have been the volage catagory definition.

ELV - 50V or less (now divided into Class 1 and 2)
LV 51V-600V
MV 601V-69,000V ( Changed a few years ago)
HV - 69,001V-230,000V
EHV 230,001V-800,000V
UHV >800,000

ANSI Standards are different and the big change that is making its way into USA regulation is the division at 1000V.

https://www.generatorsource.com/Articles/Generator-Info/High-Medium-and-Low-Voltage-Differences.aspx

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-low_voltage
I think this is what he is talking about with respect to high vs low voltage. Not standards.

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
In reality, especially for stranded wire. Obviously not in a stab in outlet or switch, but industrial terminal blocks.
Yes, for stranded wire I would agree.

Reactions: Haldor

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
That could actually be safer if it trips the breaker. I have a thermal camera and part of my home inspection process is to look for warm outlets and switches. I have caught loose wiring in both an old and virtually a new home that way.
That's possible, but it doesn't negate the fact that lots of Electricians will tape switches and receptacles like that. Not all will do it, but most of the people I have worked with, I would say the majority do it. Mostly Industrial/Commercial Electricians.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Sorry but I can't resist --

Why can you plug in - for example a phone charger - with the prongs any which way - and it still charges the phone?

I mean the hot side of the outlet can go to either of the prongs and it doesn't matter.

It is stuff like this that messes with my brain.

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
Lmao....108 replies and the problem was solved by like reply five.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but people like to discuss these things.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
That's possible, but it doesn't negate the fact that lots of Electricians will tape switches and receptacles like that. Not all will do it, but most of the people I have worked with, I would say the majority do it. Mostly Industrial/Commercial Electricians.
I did not know that.

I have never seen it any of the houses I owned nor in industrial installations.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
I am pretty sure when the house was built they did not have this outlet hooked into GFI -

I found a few other cases where the prior owner had done things with the electrical system that were dumb and dangerous.

The one that sticks out is they replaced all the 15 amp breakers with 20 amp breakers -

So they had 20 amp breakers installed on the circuits that were using 14-gauge wire. I fixed that before they even moved in.

Plus he added a light fixture in the game room by splicing off another light - but didn't install a box - the connections with wire nuts were just laying on the sheetrock in the attic.
I bought a house in Columbus OH with a wall clock hanging on the wall in the kitchen. An AC powered wall clock, the zip cord was dropped down into the cavity and wire nutted to AC wiring.

Same house had a bad breaker feeding power to the stove. I decided to upgrade to a gas stove and was pulling out the old wiring prior to having a gas line installed. I flipped the off the breaker to the outlet and half of it it was still live. This was the same house that had a wall switch with loose wiring that was making the switch heat up (I felt the heat in the handle), that was the reason why when I got a thermal camera that became part of my standard home inspection process (looking for loose wiring).

Did I mention that house had FPE breakers to boot? From the 40's, but still crap breakers.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
Sorry but I can't resist --

Why can you plug in - for example a phone charger - with the prongs any which way - and it still charges the phone?

I mean the hot side of the outlet can go to either of the prongs and it doesn't matter.

It is stuff like this that messes with my brain.
Double insulated devices don't require a specific orientation to the power plug. Both blades are narrow so you can plug it in either way.

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
I did not know that.

I have never seen it any of the houses I owned nor in industrial installations.
Yes, I really wouldn't expect to see it in residential applications. Those guys most likely wouldn't spend the time to do it.

Whether taping like that is a good practice or not may be debatable. Most of the time I did it, unless it appeared unnecessary.

As far as taping wire nuts, I understood it was to help prevent them from loosing and falling off from vibration or heating/cooling. Especially in an industrial setting. I never heard anything negative stated against the practice.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
That's a great idea!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts