GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,766 Posts
Is that horse hair plaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We call it "Kitty Fur" and it's in a lot of the sub-plaster surface as a strengthener. I guess that horse or hog hair could be used.

I've had the gas pipe used as the common return to the box instead of more costly wire - and besides the gas pipe had to be there anyway ...... right?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Are you an Electrician?

You think every room has only one circuit?

A kitchen can have half a dozen or more.

Typically a bedroom could be on one circuit on two walls and another circuit on the other two, shared with other bedrooms, or rooms, and a different circuit for lights.
I am a Carpenter/GC who has done a lot of electrical work working alongside a couple of master electricians. Having done mostly remodel work with some additions I have seen plenty of strange and highly questionable stuff. I never said that any room should have only one circuit, and frankly believe that every room should have a min of 2.

Because I am not licensed I won’t take on any electrical work for any client, but have no problems working with a licensed sparky for a project.

Why do you ask? Do you have an issue with something that I said? Are you licensed?

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,766 Posts
I can't make sense out of what you are saying.

I stand by what I stated that the vast majority of houses are wired that way. There is no such thing as one circuit for each room, and only one room on a circuit. Sure someone could wire a house that way, but some rooms, like the kitchen, require quite a few different circuits. Otherwise you a not in compliance with the Electrical code.
The kitchen multiple dedicated circuits is mostly for the motors involved ....

Refrigerator compressor
Freezer compressor - if indeed there is a separate unit.
Dish Washer
Disposal
Microwave (if a dedicate place for it is established, otherwise the counter outlets)
Martini Mixer, etc.....

Since I wired hospitals to federal standards, we were not allowed to have lighting on the same circuit as wall plugs. Some times you can get an 80V return on the common leg from a ballast - I'm talking kinda old-school here what with the newer LEDs and elevator-style HID ceiling pots and light bars. I know - I'm old.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Horse hair was common in some areas a long time ago. That is seriously Old School.
Very seriously old school, and very seriously nasty as well.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
We call it "Kitty Fur" and it's in a lot of the sub-plaster surface as a strengthener. I guess that horse or hog hair could be used.

I've had the gas pipe used as the common return to the box instead of more costly wire - and besides the gas pipe had to be there anyway ...... right?
LOL! Oh man. Pretty big no-no today. Concerns about sparks and gas leaks and all that. I don’t think that it can be used for the ground wire either, but I have seen that a few times.

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
I am a Carpenter/GC who has done a lot of electrical work working alongside a couple of master electricians. Having done mostly remodel work with some additions I have seen plenty of strange and highly questionable stuff. I never said that any room should have only one circuit, and frankly believe that every room should have a min of 2.

Because I am not licensed I won’t take on any electrical work for any client, but have no problems working with a licensed sparky for a project.

Why do you ask? Do you have an issue with something that I said? Are you licensed?

I ask because it seems you were implying to the other poster, that finding another live circuit on a different breaker, in the same box, is unusual and strange, when in reality, it is not strange at all to find more than one circuit in the same electrical box, or enclosure.

I also had not seen your previous postings where you discussed your qualifications.

I am a retired Master Electrician. I do not currently have a "License", but I would only need to pay the fees, and then I would be licensed. I am qualified by the state to be licensed. I passed the state Master Electrician exam, which qualifies me to be licensed.

I am not currently licensed because I am retired, but I am still a State Certified Master Electrician.

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Especially when bugs start eating it.
Which bugs? Never heard of that.

I was referring to the grey/black superfine dust that is generated when demoing that stuff for a remodel. Even if you wear a half-face painters respirator while tearing it down and hauling it out you still get some in your lungs. It coats every inch of your body and plugs your pores. And the stench? Nightmares still.

My lungs will never be the same again, and I was careful.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Are you an Electrician?

You think every room has only one circuit?

A kitchen can have half a dozen or more.

Typically a bedroom could be on one circuit on two walls and another circuit on the other two, shared with other bedrooms, or rooms, and a different circuit for lights.
^^^This.

On the 'back stab' thing. One day another guy and I were working at Church. I plugged in a 12 amp device into a wall box. A short while later, I noticed smoke coming out of the wall box.

I pulled the receptacle, and it had been 'back stab' wired. It was on 12 gage copper wire with a 20 amp breaker. Nothing else was plugged into the circuit at the time.

I traced down a bunch of other circuits that had been wired back stabbed and corrected them by wrapping the wires around the screw. Never had anymore problems, but was durn glad I was there when I noticed the smoke.

Never use the back stab method of wiring. I don't care what UL says.

I'm not an electrician and I didn't stay at a Holliday Inn last night.

·
Unmasked
4,403 Posts
The kitchen multiple dedicated circuits is mostly for the motors involved ....

Refrigerator compressor
Freezer compressor - if indeed there is a separate unit.
Dish Washer
Disposal
Microwave (if a dedicate place for it is established, otherwise the counter outlets)
Martini Mixer, etc.....

Since I wired hospitals to federal standards, we were not allowed to have lighting on the same circuit as wall plugs. Some times you can get an 80V return on the common leg from a ballast - I'm talking kinda old-school here what with the newer LEDs and elevator-style HID ceiling pots and light bars. I know - I'm old.
There are also Required small appliance branch circuits in the kitchen.

Reactions: LinuxLover

·
Registered
23,887 Posts
Which bugs? Never heard of that.
Carpet Beetle Larva. And a few other creatin eating bugs like it. The same bugs that tear up taxidermy animals in museums. They eat the hair in the plaster and leave little tunnels filled with waste. Moisture gets into the waste and it swells cracking the plaster releasing bacteria filled waste.

I was a docent at the U of U museum of natural history. I had to learn about all the things that attack the exhibits. Silly thing I remembered was what they could do to walls.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I ask because it seems you were implying to the other poster, that finding another live circuit on a different breaker, in the same box, is unusual and strange, when in reality, it is not strange at all to find more than one circuit in the same electrical box, or enclosure.

I also had not seen your previous postings where you discussed your qualifications.

I am a retired Master Electrician. I do not currently have a "License", but I would only need to pay the fees, and then I would be licensed. I am qualified by the state to be licensed. I passed the state Master Electrician exam, which qualifies me to be licensed.

I am not currently licensed because I am retired, but I am still a State Certified Master Electrician.
I think that you misread whatever I posted. But I have better things to do then debate the point.

·
266 Posts
I don't like using the spring loaded grabbers, you'll get a better connection going via the screws on the side. If you are plugging in a LED lamp those things on the back are fine but if you are putting a fair load on it you won't strain as much using the screws.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Carpet Beetle Larva. And a few other creatin eating bugs like it. The same bugs that tear up taxidermy animals in museums. They eat the hair in the plaster and leave little tunnels filled with waste. Moisture gets into the waste and it swells cracking the plaster releasing bacteria filled waste.

I was a docent at the U of U museum of natural history. I had to learn about all the things that attack the exhibits. Silly thing I remembered was what they could do to walls.
NASTY! I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing that I have beetle shat in my lungs. Truly gross!

Well that stuff is not exactly kind in what it does to human lungs either. Glad that I am not around it anymore.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Yeah I thought about that too, but then I realized how many switches, outlets, and covers I’d need.
I take the covers off when I paint - replacing a switch or outlet only takes a minute - after you do 10 of then you are an expert.

I saw a few houses while helping my daughter find a house - they replaced the cover with white but not the switch or outlet - IMHO made it worse.

Out house had the almond switches and outlets - and also the stove and dishwasher - even the tile around the bathtubs and showers were almond so it all sort of matched -

After being in the house a few years we replaced the kitchen linoleum with tile - and like fools we picked a light almond / yellowy color -

Then fast forward 10 more years and it was so outdated we not only replaced the outlets and switches but also tore out the kitchen tile and mast bath tile replaced it too.

Only one bathroom with the "yellow" tiles and that is the spare one upstairs that never gets used - and still looks pretty good. So it is staying as is.

My rule from here on out - keep it simple - white is best - off white tile or wood floors - been around for ever and never really goes out of style.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
When I did property management I had a little speaker on a plug that just buzzed when plugged into an outlet.
My new multi-meter has a red light come on if it is close to a live circuit. I have tested it many times - but not sure I would trust it as a primary method. It is really sensitive - get withing 2 feet of a live wire it lights up.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
The vast majority of houses are wired like that.
What I don't understand -

Sometimes you can cut the power to the ceiling light / ceiling fan by turning the switch off -

But sometimes even with the switch off the wires in the box in the ceiling are still hot.

I can understand both methods - but why have some one way - and some the other?

Maybe saves them a few $ in wire -

But it sure seems like it would be better if when you flip the switch off the power in the box at the fixture is also off.

-------------

The living room switch box at my daughters house has 3 switches - the ceiling light, the ceiling fan and one switch that controls one side of an outlet so you can plug a floor lamp into it and control it from a switch.

I didn't work when she moved in - and I was trying to fix it -

I discovered that this switch box was getting power from 2 different circuits - one is hooked outside outlet and was on a GFI circuit.

I think I am remembering this right -

Whoever hooked it up ran a hot wire from two different circuits - one wire to each connector on a switch.

I flipped the breaker on the non GFI circuit (thinking it was the only one in that box) and one switch was still hot - I ended up just capping and taping the GFI hot wire - and used the other circuit to feed the outlet. Not sure why power to a floor outlet in a living room would be hooked into a GFI circuit -

61 - 80 of 117 Posts