Replacing a bunch of electrical outlets. How do you...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bababoris, Sep 19, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Wanna see what I've had to deal with in Montana?

to code.jpg

2. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Yeah I thought about that too, but then I realized how many switches, outlets, and covers I’d need.

3. glazer1972

glazer1972

Stick tiny screwdriver in slot to release. Wrap wire around screw clockwise when you go back.

4. 1bigK

1bigK

I wish that I took photos of the first home that I gutted and completely remodeled. Built in 1896, it was the third of three identical homes in a row. I am pretty sure that the goober who built these had saved all of his framing and electrical scraps from the other two and used them in this one. Old steel MC would run for 6-8’ then about 6” of unclad wire meeting the next run in a giant wad of friction tape, no boxes. Some wires were twisted 4-5 twists, some were only twisted once. The entire house was run like that. Old four hole fuse box that was recessed above the kitchen doorway, one socket had obviously burned at one point, so no longer used. But additional circuits spliced into existing circuits, and one was apparently popping the fuses as it had a penny in it.

Bare wires running parellel (hot/neutral and still in service) knob to knob along the rafters and fully exposed in the attic/questionable added living space that the city was collecting property taxes for. 2 bulbs hanging from the ceiling by 2 wires that fed those bulbs with a turnkey switch on each fixture. I could go on about how that space was finished and accessed. Truly the worst stuff that I have ever seen in my career, and I have seen plenty. This was 26 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Flipped a few houses and always use the screw terminals when possible. Only use the plug in terminal when some jack knob left a lead too short to use the screw terminals. Son in law is a journey man electrician. He never uses a plug in terminal if he can help it.

1bigK likes this.
  6. 1cm

1cm

Never saw that before in all the houses I have lived in since childhood. I like it though.

7. 1bigK

1bigK

Sounds like someone added some outlets later and what was added were a new circuit. Makes me think that it was done by a homeowner/handyman/jackwagon that didn’t really know what they were doing? Perhaps the original circuits were deemed as at capacity because they kept tripping the breakers? Hard telling from here.

We all have seen stranger things I am sure. I said what I said because I have seen that as well, and the owner tried to get me to fix their electrical stuff as part of a remodel project. While I know enough to do that, I won’t do it because of license and liability.

8. 1bigK

1bigK

A man has gotta know his limits.

9. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Never saw what exactly?

Do you even know what you are talking about?

10. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Never saw what???

More than one circuit in a room? A receptacle? What are you referring to that you never saw????

11. 1cm

1cm

Wiring described in Post #14, which you said is the "Vast Majority", thus implying not all houses are wired that way, and none of mine were.

12. 1bigK

1bigK

I was taught that originally as well, but Alex would squak about wasting time doing that when the boxes were plastic. So I gave him that one.

For bending conduit he doesn’t bend offsets for the transition from wall surface to the knockouts, instead applying the first conduit strap further away from the box. I still bend that offset, I think that my conduit looks neater than his because of this.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  13. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Are you an Electrician?

You think every room has only one circuit?

A kitchen can have half a dozen or more.

Typically a bedroom could be on one circuit on two walls and another circuit on the other two, shared with other bedrooms, or rooms, and a different circuit for lights.

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Exactly what wiring?

Two different circuits in the same box? Receptacles with push in wiring? What??

You are not answering the question.

15. 1bigK

1bigK

Do one room at a time or per season.

16. Caver 60

Caver 60

I cannot fathom why the old push in connections were ever approved in the first place. Never use them. Use the screws and be durn sure to wrap the wire in the correct direction and tighten the screw properly.

You want at least two circuits in each room. Especially for lights. That way if one blows, you still got power to other possible light sources. Also prevents overloading a circuit in one room.

Agonizer likes this.
  17. 1bigK

1bigK

Is that horse hair plaster?

18. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

I just plug in a boom box and flip breakers 'til the music stops.

Batesmotel and Agonizer like this.
  19. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

I can't make sense out of what you are saying.

I stand by what I stated that the vast majority of houses are wired that way. There is no such thing as one circuit for each room, and only one room on a circuit. Sure someone could wire a house that way, but some rooms, like the kitchen, require quite a few different circuits. Otherwise you a not in compliance with the Electrical code.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

When I did property management I had a little speaker on a plug that just buzzed when plugged into an outlet.