Replacing a bunch of electrical outlets. How do you...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bababoris, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

Buy once, cry once. I like the screw down back wire type, too. I'm pretty sure that while code still allows the back stab type, they are now limited to 14AWG, 15A circuits - they can no longer be used on #12 wire.

-Pat

FullClip, Caver 60 and 1bigK like this.
  2. tihash

tihash

Please make sure the power is off. Esp if you're soliciting advice on how to change ac receptacle

Caver 60 likes this.

3. 1bigK

1bigK

Not a licensed sparky, but I have been taught how by one and have done plenty of new construction and repair work along side of a couple of licensed guys. Also have passed the homeowners exam when it was needed.

I too hate the back stab outlets and switches because I have seen them fail. So I was taught that after placing the wire loops around the respective screws to use a needle nose pliers to close the loop/pinch the loop tight so as help prevent a loose connection should a screw ever come loose. (It can happen)

And for the record, unless the box does not have an adequate whip (extra wire) it is way faster to just cut the wire there at the back of the fixture and strip a fresh length of bare copper. Fresh copper will always give you a better connection than dirty oxidized copper.

The backstab type fixtures are popular with Sparkys that only care about getting done fast to get paid, but those type don’t care about applying any more quality or doing it right than they have to. You should care more about doing things right when working on your own stuff.

Just my contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    PhotoFeller likes this.
  4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Loop the wiry clockwise around the screw. Tighten all the screws, even the ones with no wire. Wrap everything with electrical tape.

2CE8CE6F-3FB3-42A7-AB23-4B60ACCA07FA.jpeg

5. hannstv

hannstv

My house is like that also....no rhyme or reason. Just nutz.

jk_226 likes this.
  6. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Back-stabs are NEVER to be used in a chain as they are going to have to carry the load from a spring clip, through a connector and back out the other spring clip.

I've seen back-stabs fail and smoulder in the box. They make such a small contact point that they get hot, the spring loses tension and they get hotter.

One easy way to segregate the breakers and even label them is to plug an extension cord into the receptacle you want to work on and take the female end into the breaker/service room with a test light in the end.

.......then you start snapping breakers until the test light goes out and then you can walk to wherever the receptacle is and work on it.

If you want some SERIOUSLY good receptacles and switches, buy Hospital Grade ones with the green dots on the faces.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Bud0505 and LV3 like this.
  7. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    My electrical inspector used to check garage ceiling fixtures (they never had a bulb at that point), in a subdivision I was building, with a wet finger, essentially giving the fixture a wet willy. :)

It seems to me that many houses have circuits wired vertically.

I upgraded the panel in my house from 100 to 200 amps. I came home at lunch to find the electrician had disconnected the bugs on the drop while they were hot. He said you just have to watch what you touch. I scolded him, told him if I knew he was going to do that I would have unplugged my home theater.

8. Majestic9C1

Majestic9C1 You're Going to Love my Nuts

As an Electrician this is the proper way to do it and how it was taught to me :)

FullClip, bigbrother1984 and 1bigK like this.
  9. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

During the divorce, my ex took the outlet and switch plate covers. She said they were hers.

Haldor, FullClip, Flags and 3 others like this.
  10. 1bigK

1bigK

I meant to include the direction of the wire wrap in my direction, but my thumbs got ahead of my brains. Good catch.

Just me, but I always wrap my screws when the box is metal, which means always for commercial work.

Caver 60 and Sherlock913 like this.
  11. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

Same here. I cut as flush to the old outlet as possible, and restrip.

Agonizer likes this.
  12. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

I was taught to wrap by commercial electricians and just made it a habit for my home, plastic remodel boxed outlets. Lol

Caver 60 and Agonizer like this.
  13. 1bigK

1bigK

I made a dead short switch using an HD switch and an exterior (plastic) box and face plate with a 5-6’ length of a male 12G extension cord end from a damaged extension cord. I find that it is fast, easy, and foolproof way to identify and shut off that circuit. I still verify that the power is off with a tic or plug in tester.

14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Or you could do it this way.

outlet.jpg

;)

15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

That’s beyond petty.

1bigK likes this.
  16. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

And she left me with 3 spoons in the silverware drawer.

FullClip, Batesmotel and 1bigK like this.
  17. NoStress

NoStress

Make sure the bare ground wire does not contact the white neutral wire screw when you insert the receptacle into the box. It is easy to screw up if you are not aware of it. When you plug in a load you will energize the metal cases of things like kitchen appliances and someone can get a bad shock if they are grounded by the sink for example. I was installing a copper fuel oil line for a guy once and got shocked because the metal furnace case was energized from the room light. He did not put it on a dedicated circuit and the bare ground wire of the overhead room light was touching the neutral so about 1 amp was going thru the ground wire to the furnace, oil pump, and copper fuel line and finally me to the earth. Just lucky it was a light and more amps were not on the circuit. When I went outside and grabbed the fuel line to connect the tank I completed the path to ground and got zapped. I have seen an awful lot of houses that have voltage on the ground wires because switches, outlets, and light fixtures were not installed properly. Screw this up on several different circuits and you can get a lot of amps going thru your ground rod instead of back on the neutral like it should. It is easy to do and I would bet if many here would test for it they would find they have voltage on the ground wires of one or more of their circuits.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  18. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Yeah, as long as it’s not an FPE panel.

Haldor, Agonizer, 1bigK and 1 other person like this.
  19. RenoF250

RenoF250

I agree, I have had the wires fall right out of the push in plug and I have had the wrap around get loose. I use the spec grade and tighten the crap out of them. They generally have a screw that will take a square drive bit also so you don't have to mess with that flat head nonsense. They also have a metal strap on the back so they are physically stronger.

Agonizer likes this.
  20. 1bigK

1bigK

I listen for the breaker popping. Am very aware of the danger of FPE panels.