Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

My carry gun, a G19 gen 4, is coming up on 1200 rounds and I was wondering when I should start thinking about replacing springs?

How often do you replace them? which do you replace? Can't find any solid info anywhere.

Thank you!
Fipoj

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh okay. Excellent haha.

Not sure now why I have heard people talking about replacing the other springs every 10k or so. Maybe just preventative because they don't cost much.

Fipoj

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have no idea how many rounds were on my gun when I replaced my stock original RSA with a stock weight SS RSA all I can tell you is it was one hell of a difference when I did recoil is about 20 % less and groups are alot tighter. I replaced with a lone wolf SS RSA great product great customer service.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Hello all,

My carry gun, a G19 gen 4, is coming up on 1200 rounds and I was wondering when I should start thinking about replacing springs?

How often do you replace them? which do you replace? Can't find any solid info anywhere.

Thank you!
Fipoj
Folks say around 5K.
Mine don't last that long.
When I start getting failure to return to battery it's RSA time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea how many rounds were on my gun when I replaced my stock original RSA with a stock weight SS RSA all I can tell you is it was one hell of a difference when I did recoil is about 20 % less and groups are alot tighter. I replaced with a lone wolf SS RSA great product great customer service.
One of the reasons I love the G19 is that it is so light so I think I'm going to stick with stock unless my friend ends up getting the ss guide rod and I consequently end up liking it. I can't justify the money.

Recoil of a 9mm is nothing compared to a 45 or even that of the P226 chambered in 9 because of the bore axis being so much higher.

Fipoj

·
Registered
813 Posts
Whenever its time to replace the spring in my Gen 3 19, what do you guys think would be the best choice?

Replacing it with another Gen 3 G19 spring?

Or a Gen 4 G19 spring?

Which would be best & why? (its my EDC btw)

·
Transform & Win
3,351 Posts
how do you perform a correct RSA spring tension check?
hold gun muzzle to sky and guide the slide softly nearly home and the RSA should close the slide completely by itself?
GT member Arc Angel wrote a post in his Blog on the procedure he follows. Read it here >> The Original Recoil Spring Test

The following is from Glock, Inc. as taught in the Glock Armorer's Course with a note from the Instructor:

Field Inspections (excerpt from Glock Armorer's Manual ©Glock 2009, Page 63)

3. Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Assembly

The recoil spring should be strong enough to move the slide forward reliably to chamber cartridges even if the pistol is somewhat dirty, dry or the ammunition is not perfect. With an unloaded pistol, point it 45° upwards and pull the trigger. While holding the trigger back, pull the slide to the rear and release it very slowly. The recoil spring should be able to push the slide completely forward and fully into battery. This test verifies that the recoil spring is strong enough to chamber ammunition despite less than ideal circumstances.

[GRT45 class notes from May, 2011 Armorer's Course: The G21 and G20 pistols, with their heavier slides, are known to sometimes fail this test even with a new RSA.]

·
Registered
823 Posts
I havent changed any springs in my G-21 which has more than 30K rounds in competetion and practice from the early 1990's. It still works fine with no issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.