close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Replaced ADSL modem - now can't find server

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by engineer151515, Feb 9, 2007.

1. engineer151515

engineer151515

Old Earthlink ADSL modem was slowly dying.
    New replacement arrived.

I swapped old for new. Now my internet explorer gives me an error screen and says it cannot find the server.

:(

Plugged the old one back in and ... crap ... same error screen.

:upeyes:

Any clue as to what might have gone wrong before I try the help-over-the-phone torture?

System - HP desktop computer, Windows XP home.

Internet connection is DSL. Everything is hooked up the same way it has operated (without problem) since 1999.

I do have a wireless router in this mix. My laptop computer, trying to access the internet through this network gets the same error page. No error on laptop when using other network connections (work, coffee shop, etc).

Thanks

2. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

Did you run the setup software, if supplied? I assume you can log into the modem and verify the connection.

3. E.Ritz

E.Ritz

Your username and password is saved in router. You will have to log into the router and change it to what is correct.

4. malkore

malkore

did you reboot Windows yet? your new router may have a new IP taht Windows isn't recognizing.

5. srhoades

srhoades

Earthlink is notorious for binding the MAC address of the modem to your service. You may need to call them.

6. engineer151515

engineer151515

Follow up:

Called Earthlink Tech Assist:

After about an hour, the guy with the heavy accent transferred me to a "Senior" Technical supervisor.

who

Turned out to be a young fella working in Texas.

He seemed knowledgeable and we were able to rip through several diagnostic steps. Since I wasn't a total beginner, we could get to DOS command screens and the like quickly.

This is what we learned (took an additional 1.5 hours)

The DSL modem is wired correctly.
    The modem was responding correctly with the computer.
    The modem could successfully ping the local server but there was a problem somewhere after that point - between Earthlink's local server and the "internet". Totally Earthlink's technical difficulty.

hmmmmm.........

So now I have a technical problem ticket assigned to me and Earthlink will get back in a couple of days.

We'll see.