Replace Barrel For Accuracy ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ctkenc, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ctkenc

ctkenc

I'm new to Glocks; bought a new G34 2 weeks ago and have fired about 750 Rounds through it so far. Runs perfectly with any kind of ammo but accuracy is not good.
    I'm coming from 1911's with great accuracy .... I shoot IDPA and frequently need the accuracy to hit the head zone at distances.
    Bench rested the new G34 and shot Bullseye Targets on indoor range at 25 ft ... good results, then moved out to 50 ft and continued bench rested with poor results :faint:

I shot it in an IDPA Classifier and it cost me enough points to miss Sharpshooter Class by a few points ... targets that should have been an easy no brainer did not score ... baffled me as to how I missed the shot.

Yesterday I shot at 25ft and 50 ft, freehand, in a comparison test with my old Colt 1911 9mm Gold Cup, National Match and my G34 .... the Colt would group all shots in a tight group at either distance (tighter at 25 ft than 50 ft due to me old eyes). The G34 sprayed them all over the place at 50 ft and was nowhere near as good at 25ft as the Colt 1911.

I know this may sound weird, but, I really like the G34 and want it to work but I've got to find a way to get more accuracy from it.
    Would a Replacement barrel be likely to improve the results in a meaningful way and if so, which replacement barrel do you think would contribute the most ?
    thanks
    ken

2. HK Dan

HK Dan

The GLOCK trigger takes some getting used to. Usually when I see a new GLOCK shooter throwing 12 gauge sized groups, he's trying to work the trigger like a precision rifle. This will be counter-intuitive; use a smooth, brisk, straight press rather than working it back to the break and adding pressure slowly.

You'll also need to give it a bit more trigger finger as compared to your 1911. I run with the right side of the trigger almost touching the crease at the first joint.

If you absolutely have to have a match grade barrel, expect it to run $160 or so, and KKM makes a fine one. I don't think you'll find that it helps all that much. Get the trigger under control and you'll be making -0 shots at just about any distance you want with the factory barrel!

3. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

The barrel isn't going to help you, it's the loose nut behind the buttplate that's having the accuracy problems. :)

Once you get used to the trigger and ergonomics of the Glock, it will settle down for you and shoot teeny-tiny groups. The Glock has a high quality barrel and the pistols are capable of insane accuracy. I reach for my well worn bone stock G17 (2nd gen) when I want to show someone up in a game of "shoot the smallest group" and I'm a 1911 guy.

4. Taz

Taz

1000+ on the trigger being the culprit. Transitioning from a 1911 trigger to the Glock is kind of like going from a Ferrari to a Yugo in feel. It took me a LONG time to getbused to the craptastic feel of the bent unpolished sheet metal surfaces that make the Glock trigger when compared to my LesBaer 1911. Also going from a 3# single action to a 5#+ Safe action takes time. Spend a bit of time dry firing the crap out of it to learn the feel. Invest in the $.25 trigger job, buy some polished parts from people like Custom Glock Racing or invest in a Vanek trigger kit and you will get your groups down and scores up.

5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I know some people claim that replacing their barrel increased accuracy, but I've got three different aftermarket barrels of different brands, and not one is any more accurate than the stock Glock barrel. As others have said, it turned out to be the Glock trigger that was throwing my grouping off for a while at first.

I really still prefer the SA trigger of older guns like the Browning Hi Power best, but after getting used to the differences of the Glock trigger, they get a lot easier to shoot. Until you're sure the problem isn't you, don't buy a barrel yet, unless you wanted a threaded one, or needed broach cut rifling so you can shoot your home-molded wheel weight bullets with it.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Sorry to tell you, but you are your accuracy problem and 1911 shooting is the main reason you have accuracy issues with Glocks - I base that on about 20 years as a police, civilian and military firearms instructor and several years of IDPA/USPSA/GSSF competition. I shoot stock Glocks as do most of the people on my team and many of those I compete with. Any stock Glock will put round after round in the head of an IDPA target at 35 yards - the problem is that new Glock shooters, especially those trying to use 1911 grip and trigger techniques, have serious shooter-caused accuracy problems. Out your Glock in a good ransom-type rest and it will match any stock DA gun you own, including Sig and H&K. I have similar issues when I went from law enforcement shooting to competition, but I soon learned that after a little training on the proper Glock trigger control, all my Glocks will put every round in one hole at 7 yards and group as well as any gun I own and better than most at long distances.

We regularly have things like 25 yard head shots in our local matches and since I learned the TDSA "slack out" technique it's no problem. I used my wife's stock G34 in a state law enforcement match that was heavy on accuracy (out to 50 yards, using the actual scoring rings on a B27) and I was about even with the 2 top revolver guys at 25 yards. When we moved back to 50 yards, I won it with more 10/X shots than either of the guys shooting the revolvers from single-action.

A barrel won't add anything. Your Glock is more accurate than you can shoot it, but you can get close if you learn to shoot a Glock like a Glock and quit pulling the trigger like it's a 1911.

7. ctkenc

ctkenc

Thanks guys ,,, I appreciate all of your Replies and shared experience.
    It is very encouraging to read what you have suggested .

I was at the Range this morning and 100% agree the Glock Trigger is unique and if you try firing various Pistols in one session you get really screwed up.

I shot with a casual bench rest ( rolled up old blanket) at distances from 25 ft to 50 ft and adjusted the sights to produce a consistent result that will meet my needs in IDPA Matches. Had an experienced IDPA Shooter with me who provided coaching and suggestions ... big improvement today.

Getting used to this Trigger looks to be a big part of the key here, just as you have suggested.
    I'll be keeping the Stock Barrel and working on the trigger pull ... :faint: practice, practice, practice.
    thanks Guys,
    Ken

8. Six Feet Under

Six Feet Under

I had the same issue when I sold my 1911 and picked up a G19. I was all over the place at first, then I paid more attention to what I was doing and the groups started getting a LOT better.

9. henchmen77

henchmen77

I think you would do better working on the fundamentals of shooting IE trigger control,sight alingment, sight pic. You would do better to spend the money on ammo and time of the range. Too many shooters try to blame their gear when it comes down to not having good fundamentals and not being able to put them to use in a match or on the range. A stock G34 all you may want to do is put some better sights on there and out of the box it will shoot IDPA with no issue. So I would tell you not to waste your time on the barrel very few shooters can out shoot a factory pistol.

10. cciman

cciman

The uniqueness of the Glock trigger that everyone fails to mention is the trigger reset. I love how my stock glock triggers feel on the subsequent shots-- very good for combat shooting. Albiet, I do not compete.

Shooting from a rest is not the way to train on the trigger, because you do not get a good hand grip and, the gun bounces too much on recoil that throws your senses off, and your next trigger pull sucks...

Stand up. Practice taking out the slack on the trigger, as you come on target, then finish with a controlled smooth squeeze and follow thru. (No flinching) Try putting each round into the hole before it.

On the next shot, let out only until you feel that click as your reacquire target, and repeat. Do this slowly, then speed it up-- learn that trigger reset.

After you learn the trigger then work on accuracy.

Yesterday, I put all 50ish rounds inside 2' from 30 yrds, 2 handed standing grip with a stock G19, using crap Pakistani ammo... lots of misfeeds and squibs outta this ammo:cool:

11. FNFAN

FNFAN

Was that 2" or 2'?

12. cciman

cciman

Sorry, I must have been thinking about something else :wow::

correction :embarassed:

it was actually within 2.5 in. Gen 2 G19, stock

13. rug357

rug357

Sounds like you just need more trigger time.
    I shot various 1911 pistols for about 27 years.
    I had to switch over to a Glock about 2 years ago and had a lot of accuracy problems in the beginning. Now about 6,000 rounds later I'm getting pretty good with it but still not up to my previous 1911 level. I think by the time I hit 10k round mark I can get close to my 1911 level.

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754

Never tried one, but been thinking about it just to see if it makes a difference. I know my own technique will make far more difference than this tiny part, but it's still an interesting idea.

The contact info for the seller of these parts is outdated, jump to the last few pages for his up-to-date contact info.

15. gasboffer

gasboffer

I have a Bar-Sto for my 36. I've benched both it and the factory bbl. The fact. bbl seemed to shoot tighter groups. Two C notes shot to hell.

16. ambluemax

ambluemax

Thank you, its amazing how many people know how to make a glock go bang yet have no idea how to properly operate the trigger!!

I'm primarily a 1911 shooter, and the glock trigger just takes time to learn. Once you do its second nature. I've shot both enough that the transition between them, even on the same day, isn't that big of a deal. You just have to practice. I personally know SSP experts in our club that run stock G34's.

IDPA is pretty well designed in that equipment won't make the shooter

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  17. cciman

cciman

Yes we've noticed.:rofl:

On this forum, its not nice to show your tribe colors. When in Glock town, speak Glock.

Hail to the cult of Glock here:wavey:

18. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

It is also a good idea to try some different bullets once you get the groups little. Sometimes you find a bullet that your pistol really likes! It can be like you put in a match barrel.

19. solvability

solvability

I have been right where you are. First step put away the 1911 and don't shoot it until you are fully acclimated to the Glock. I recommend you improve the Glock trigger - I got a Glockworks tactical and it made a big difference.

The 1911 is my baseline gun - I come back to it when I pick up a bad habit and want to worki it back out.

I shoot SSP and use the G17 exclusivley now - before that I shot a Sig 226 - the Glock blows the SIG away on speed. Stay with it and practice - you might want another barrel to shoot lead (or use moly coated lead)

20. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

im in this same boat.
    i shoot USPSA and steel challenge with a G17.

i always feel like i should "fix" my trigger, but honestly, i just need to really be taught or learn how to pull this type of trigger correctly.

HK Dan has a good description above.
    im going to try that, however, it seems opposite the "reset" technique i have used in the past with decent results.