close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Renewing early and time on old permit.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Mar 11, 2010.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

So what would the advantage be to renewing your chp early if you actually lose time on your old permit? For example in Va if you renew your driver's license early the full eight years goes forward from when it was going to expire. But the chp forms all say that they are good for five years from the issue date. So if you go 180 days early you may actually be spending money before you have to if we look at it by the "letter of the law". Do some states run their chp like the driver's licenses and go from the expiration date?

2. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

First, VA'S LICENSE ARE GOOD FOR 8 YEARS!?!?!?! MS is only good for 4!

I can renew my DL within 30 days of expiration and get 4 years from the expiration date, giving me 4 years and a month on my license.

As for my permit, I still have to wait 120 days for my license to come back, and they are good from the issue date, which will be 110 to 115 days from the time you renew. So I go in 4 months early anyway.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

They added years to our Va licenses and now they mail them to you. They are actually pretty cool looking with a "hologram" on it with a small face that looks at you on both sides of the license. :supergrin: Now all we need is a lifetime ccw permit. I think early renewal may lose time but what the heck.

4. Menehune

Menehune

I went to renew early this year, only to find that Georgia no longer does renewal. Only new issue. I think it was just to get more money coming in. Now, instead of paying the lesser renewal fee, you fay a full $60 each time, every five years.

My last two renewals, I had the new one within the week. Now, two weeks from the time I re-applied.

5. Greatscott

Greatscott

Ours in California are only good for 2 years.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Now that sucks. I know that the People's Republic of Maryland is also a two tear permit.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Not to gloat.. but we have a 4yr option, and a lifetime option.. ;). If you're renewing a 4yr to Lifetime, there's only about $40 difference. If its a new issue Lifetime, there's about $70, compared to the 4yr permit.

IGF

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

IGF, I was actually referring to the VA driver's license that JuneyBooney was talking about in the opening post. But let me get this straight, your CHP is also good for 4 with a lifetime option? MS CCL is ~$130 for a new issue and I think it's around $65 to renew. I got mine when they were only good for 4 years, but they have upped it to 5 years since. I think I'm a little jealous.:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yup... :) I just double checked the prices because I wasn't 100% sure on them...

$125 for a new issue Lifetime Permit
    $100 if renewing a 4yr to a Lifetime
    $40 for a 4yr permit, whether its new issue or a renewal.

It's all the same background check, procedures, even the same permit...its just how much you want to pay

IGF