close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Removing the loaded chamber indicator on S&W PPK/S

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hogship, Apr 26, 2006.

1. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

That loaded chamber indicator is the only thing on my S&W PPK/s that looks shaky to me. Although it has never caused a malfunction (yet), it just looks like it will eventually interfere with feeding. I just don't want it to happen when the consequences could be great, if you know what I mean!

Anyone considered removing it?.....and, if so, how could that be done?

To me, this is just one more of those dad-blasted lawyer gizmos.

hog

2. isp2605

isp2605

Not sure how long the loaded chamber indicator has been on the PP-PPK-PPK/s series. But it's not on there because of lawyers. Been on there a long long time.
    Never heard of it ever causing a problem. Some of them will be real picky about the ammo they'll feed and the originals will bite some people, but the loaded indicator has never been identified as a weak point. Don't worry about it.

3. hogship

I've never owned another PP series Walther, but I'm pretty sure the Smith PPK/s chamber indicator is a new sort of loaded chamber indicator. There is a rod that protrudes through the bolt area of the slide and rests against the cartridge case head. If there is a round in the chamber, the rod is exposed at the other end near the hammer slot.....it can be seen directly from the rear.

I have a few other firearms with loaded chamber indicators, but have never seen a contraption like this one. If this is standard Walther issue, I'd be surprised, but admit that I could be wrong since this is my one and only Walther.

Calling it a "lawyer" gizmo may not reflect the whole truth.....since some states may require the indicator for approved sales.

Is the Smith PPK/s's loaded chamber indicator the same as on the real Walthers? Interarms?

....odie

4. uncut

uncut

yes it sure is the same loaded chamber indicator, just like the real and old Walther's...........

notice it says..... Walther PP.... which was never made by S&W.. but only by Walther and Manhurin under license of Walther
    the only model that does not have the loaded chamber indicator is the .22lr version (PP,PPK, and PPK/S)... and some that have been made for Danish police (something like that, don't quote me though on the police thing)

[​IMG]

5. hogship

Wow, ok.....that's news to me! I never would have thought it. I'm looking at it with a different perspective now. Although I still believe the LCI is something that was an unneeded thing.

Thanks for clueing me in.

hog

6. isp2605

isp2605

Nope, definitely not something new, and not a S&W device. Exactly the same, as uncut said. I've owned several, including some WWII models. In addition we use to be issued PPK, pre-S&W, to senior command and had a bunch in inventory. That's the way the loaded indicator was designed. Whether all were built with it I don't know. It's possible they eliminated it as a cost cutting effort during the war but I've never seen one without it. But that's the design.
    Obviously a similiar designed loaded indicator wouldn't work too well on a rimfire fire cartridge.
    Again, don't worry about it.

7. uncut

uncut

I would not worry about it neither.....
    and yes the LCI has gone back on the PP line of Walthers to and before WWII.......
    I would not mess with it... never heard of anybody having problems with it at all....

8. michael t

michael t

Saw one last week on a 60's 32PP that was stuck out back (hammer end)
    was all gunked up from years of shooting and nor cleaning. Tokk GS a few min to take apart and clean mess. I wouldn't worry about it. My has never been a problem .

9. hogship

Well, gentlemen.....I guess I'll just go with the flow and not make waves on this one......not going to worry about it until it fails. From what I'm seeing here, it's not likely to fail either.

I must say, however, that I'm more than satisfied with the performance of my S&W PPK/s.

hog

10. uncut

uncut

glad to hear the PPK/s still has a following.....

11. michael t

michael t

This funny all the replies about a non problem My faithful PPK/S failes to fire on first DA pull and nobody cares. Go figure. I ve ordered new hammer springs.

12. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I would love to have a post war PPK/S. Could have picked up a new PPK/S up at the Post exchange while in Germany, back in the late 70s. Dumb kid that I was had to get a S&W model 59 and 28. At least all the German soldiers and cops I met thought that was uber cool. :cool:

13. hogship

Don't feel so bad.....those Smiths you got are superb firearms. Do you still have them?

When I was in Germany during the summer of 1970, I got an Arminius 22LR D/A revolver and a (forgot the manufacturer's name) single action Colt style .357mag revolver. The Arminius was a complete piece of junk, but reliable, and the cowboy revolver, was pretty good quality....but I sold it a few years later. The Arminius, I gave away!

Like you, I could have bought something German made and really nice, but I squandered the opportunity......:frown:

hog

14. HoustonHusker

HoustonHusker GO HUSKERS!

On michael's recommendations, I picked up a box of CorBon's at the gunshow last week. I carry mine everyday still but the HydroShoks are backup ammo now.

HH

15. michael t

michael t

Hey all of you guys are Welcome to come and hang at my Bersa Board I run a kinda loose ship and we talk about every thing and anything. I got 751 members at present stop on by.

bersatalk.com

16. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Hog did you ever remove it?