Removing splinter from 2 y/o

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by farmer-dave, Feb 5, 2010.

1. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

My son has a splinter, or something in the bottom of his big toe. It's bothering him but absolutely doesn't want me touching it. Is their some product out there that would numb his skin so I could take a needle to it. I figured some experienced parents would have some advice.

2. Just1More

Just1More

3. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Who's in charge? You or the kid? Kid's gotta learn to suck it up at some point...

Just don't be barbaric. Simple.

4. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Unless it's a major wound, there's no need to numb it, or visit a doctor. Muster up all the strength you & your wife have (you'll need it) and hold him down securely while you remove it. He won't like it, but it'll be over before he knows.

5. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

You've never had a two year old, have you?

6. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

Ice,,,, he may not like that but it will numb it

7. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

By the way, good luck with that!!!!

8. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

My 3yr old had one once and he wouldnt let me touch him either. I waited til he was asleep and got it. He squirmed a couple times but i just stopped til he quit moving.He never woke up. It was on the bottom of his foot. Took about 3-5 minutes.

9. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I wonder if ambesol would work? It works on tooth aches and takes the sting outta burns.

Actually ,my son did have not 1 but many such things go into his feet(and nose) at that age.:rofl:

Splinters are a cake walk.Get it when he goes asleep and is tired.Dont let him see a needle,All kids(and some adults) naturally associate those with agony and pain.just use tweezers and a magnifying glass.

We keep tweezers with a very fine tip around just for this purpose.

10. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

I had two. And if I told one of them to lay still while I took the splinter out and not whine he would do just that.

11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

A shot of buttered rum... worked with my kid. Also helps with teething. Rub a little on their gums...

12. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

My response aswell! :supergrin:

13. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

I'm not even sure it's a splinter it looks more like a black or purple spot of something. I also wondered about using ambesol. Maybe I'll wait till he goes to sleep and do some poking, I figure if it's something bad it will fester and I can get it out then. I don't think it's hurting him too bad because he's playing on it.

14. geronimo509

geronimo509

You need to tell him that it will hurt, but only for a minute. But if you don't do it, it will hrut for a very long time. Hold him down if you have to. Tell him he can have ice cream when he's done, if he actually lets you do it and you don't have to hold him down. he needs to learn that not everything good for him will feel good. Just like eating your vegies. I'm a single father of a three year old and when he was 2 he was constantly getting splinters from running barefoot on our deck.

I like the post that says you need to tell him to man up. and your the boss, not him. Just don't be barbaric

15. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

And not whine?? Pretty impressive. Mine would have done kicked you in the neck about 4 times.

16. farmer-dave

farmer-dave

That sounds more like my kid, I guess he's closer to 3 then 2 but he's a tough kid to hold down. I'll monitor the situation for a while and try the night time approach first.

17. geronimo509

geronimo509

I once removed some right after we got out of the shower. I showered with him so I can loosen it up in the shower. Well I was in shorts only and still a little wet. When I was done and cleaning up, he got up and smacked me so hard in my back, and gave me such a dirty look. It was kind of funny.

On a side note, my son is a little rough and we play fight all the time. He can punch pretty hard for a three year old.

18. jjcool

jjcool

I once held my 3yr old down at the ER while he got two stitches put in his cheek. Talk about hard to do (emotionally). It was either that or put him to sleep and since it was just two stitches I didn't want the risks of putting him to sleep.

As others have said, just hold him down and look at it...be gentle and it'll be ok. But make sure it's a splinter before you go digging around in his toe.

19. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

fold a sheet lenthwise until it's as tall as he is from shoulders to mid-calf. wrap him up like a burrito (arms at his sides), and have mom lay over top of him. it's how i started iv's on all my peds patients back in my ER nurse days.

20. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Our little girl (just a couple months past 2 now) had one in her palm. She was a real trouper about it and only winced one time while we were working on her. We used ice and numbed it for a minute or so before we started. I held her hand and my wife used a needle and tweezers to get it.

Greg