Removing Oxide finish on Glock slide?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by skeeziks, Jul 6, 2007.

1. skeeziks

skeeziks

I had a Glock years ago where I believe someone removed the original oxide finish. The Tenifer finish was really nice looking. At least I think what I was looking at was the Tenifer. It was battle ship gray with a teflon like coating. I'd like to duplicate the look. Any information or ideas out there???

2. cwshootersupply

cwshootersupply

The slide can be hot blued or painted or parkerized. Tenifer is a metal treatment not the finish. See disscusion on this topic from 7/5 in this forum.

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Tie a cord on it and drag it behind your pickup.

4. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

5. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

I'm not sure if Tenifer is an actual metal "finish" like hard chrome or nickel would be for example.

But, if it is a "finish" like mentioned above, the only best way is to dip it in hydrochloric acid for a certain period of time. That's how "metal stripping" is done in the electroplating business.

There is another way which is "reverse plating" where the slide in this case would be the "anode" and the electro current pulls the plating finish off of the slide in the plating bath. But, that is a time consuming chore.

If you're gonna strip the part, have a professional do it with the acid. Don't try it at home. Plus, at home it can be a mini environmental disaster as well as dangerous to you and others.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

To remove the black oxide coating that's applied over the Tennifer, the best bet is to have the slide glass bead blasted.

The blasting removes the oxide & imparts a slight matte finish to the tennifer.

One thing to remember, different batches of Tennifer come out different colors !

I've bead blasted many Glocks for customers & have seen colors vary from a stainless steel like silver all the way to a dark honey, golden brown shade. So when a customer requests a bead blast I tell them up front that there is no color guarentee, as the Tennifer proscess is for toughness, not color. This is one of the main reasons that Glock uses the black oxide, it's consistant for cosmetic reasons.

Lest anyone doubt the toughness of Tennifer (a form of nitriding), it's been used on Porsche crankshafts, since the first of the Turbo-Porsche's.

uncle albert

7. Gecko10

Gecko10

I suspect it was DuraCoat or DuraBake which, if applied properly, will result in the type of finish you describe and is available in several grays'.

http://www.duracoat-finishes.com/