Glock Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooo, a while back I made the booboo of thinking that my G23 lower needed some paint, and eventually decided that Krylon Fusion would be the most cost effective/easiest "solution". Long story even longer, even though the Krylon held up very well, I decided that I wanted the factory finish back. But, after some research over a couple of months, it looked as though I was stuck with the paint.
I had read to try Acetone, Brake Cleaner, Laquer Thinner, Graffiti Remover, GooOff, Krylon "OFF!" and a few other solutions. I had never once viewed a successful try. So, I pretty much determined that even if I do try, I'd have to just sand down the remaining paint (the stuff that I assumed wouldn't come off without damaging the frame) and repaint. Keep in mind that when I painted the frame, I prepped perfectly, degreased, the works, and the Krylon adhered very well. Plus, I added Krylon Clear Matte Finish on top of it (stuff works great).
I stopped by Home Depot this morning, picked up a bottle of Graffiti Remover (Spray), and a can of Laquer Thinner. I 1st tried the Graffiti Remover, nothin', nadda. Next was the Laquer Thinner. I took an old T-shirt, dipped it in the Laquer Thinner and started rubbing along the rail. It didn't take long at all and I didn't have to rub that hard and the paint just came right off. I was relieved. After getting most of it in that fashion, all I had to do then was dip Q-tips in the Thinner, and gently rub and twist in the nooks and crannies. You cannot even tell it had ever been painted, did not harm the polymer in any fashion. I had read many posts on many forums about this topic, and some guys just resorted to removing some paint, and after being unsuccessful, simply repainted their lowers. So, if anyone has painted their lowers with regrets (w/Krylon Fusion, or something similar), all is not lost. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I loved you in 21 Jump Street"

LOL

·
MacGyver
9,979 Posts
brake fluid seems to take the paint off of anything. I wonder how it works on the Krylon.

I did Krylon camo tan n my G26 years ago and it is holding up strong, with just some kydex holster wear. Luv it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brake fluid seems to take the paint off of anything. I wonder how it works on the Krylon.

I did Krylon camo tan n my G26 years ago and it is holding up strong, with just some kydex holster wear. Luv it.
Do you mean break CLEANER, and not break FLUID?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.