Removing Factory Installed Trijicon FS on Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Darin Reiss, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Darin Reiss

Darin Reiss

I have installed and removed several Trijicon sights that came as an aftermarket kit. These use the 3/16" nut and locktite to secure the front sight on. But this factory installed Trijicon front sight has me baffled as to how to remove it without destroying it. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to remove this in one piece and where I can re-install it. All I see under the slide of the front sight is a lip that extends out around the slide metal from inside the front sight hole. It appears as if the front sight was pressed on and when it bottomed out into final position this metal(?) lip ring snapped out around the metal of the slide.
    Thanks,
    Darin Reiss

2. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Front sight is staked on, you can remove two ways. Grab and twist with pliers on FS. Or get tooth scraper(hooked shaped)and pull out the little stake in the middle bottom of FS. If you use tooth scraper and do it gently enough you should be able to save FS.
    I only use GLOCK front sight staking tool to re-use FS.
    GLOCK FS are OEM plastic, unless there is GLOCK steel sights with 3/16 nut.

3. jcmios

jcmios

If you are referring to the Glock factory night sight sights they are crimped in place with a crimping tool that expands the metal skirt with two steel balls. You can try to use a short needle nose pliers to grab and bend back the expanded skirt area, or you may need to take a screw driver against a padded slide and bend the skirt in. Once bent in enough you should be able to use a standard small pliers to finish off the job. You will need the Glock crimping tool to reattach these to a gun, and I think the public retail price is about $75.00 from Glock for this tool.

4. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

I ran into the same situation. The guy that helped me out used a punch. The old frontsight was destroyed in the process. The new front sight went on with the nut and a drop of loctite without any problems.

5. steeltoe

steeltoe

I just got a new G-19 with these factory night sights. Has anyone had issues with it coming loose? The purchase price was exactly $75 more for the option so I figured it was a decent deal. One range session so far they are easy to acquire.

6. Darin Reiss

Darin Reiss

Thanks for the input guys. I was afraid that my risk of ruining it was fairly high. I don't mind destroying a $2 plastic sight but I really like these Trijicon Night sights. I will try these ideas and see if I can keep it reusable!
    Thanks,
    Darin Reiss

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

Don't get your hopes up about re-using it. Besides, if you plan on re-use, WHY take it off in the first place ? Or are you going to re-install on a different slide ?

The expanded skirt of the slide is going to be rather fragile after removing it, as the metal will be fatigued from the "uncrimping" if you will.
    To re-install, be sure that you have the sight clamped VERY tightly into the slide before attempting to re-stake it in place. The best thing I've found is to clamp the slide to a nylon or delrin block, using the slide to hold the sight in place. Gently try staking a little at a time, working around the oval. It might work, but if it doesn't, your just about average.
    Longevity of a re-install might be a problem due to the metal fatigue also.

Hope it works for you.

good luck

uncle albert

8. Darin Reiss

Darin Reiss

Uncle Albert,
    Good point about the metal fatigue! I was going to refinish the slide but I am having second thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Darin