Removing broken bolt

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bren, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I broke the head off a bolt in the aluminum triple tree of my motorcycle and it is absolutely impossible to drill and tap. I spent days and a load of money wearing out drill bits that wouldn't even make a dent in it. Anybody got any miraculous suggestions for removing a broken bolt that I can't drill?

I have drilled them and used an EZ out in cars before with no problems - just removed one from my truck engine - but this one is hard as diamond.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

might try welding a socket or something to it and back it out that way,
    also try heating it up a bit and gently tap it to break whatever holding it in loose

3. Jay S.

Jay S.

Have you tried a left handed bit? This will help loosen it as it drills. I also assume you center punched the broken bolt to make sure the bit does not walk. If you didn't and the surface is uneven, the bit will never actually bite into the material.

4. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Bren, what diameter is the bolt? Was LocTite used when it was installed?

5. Resqu2

Resqu2

Try a carbide drill bit, not much you can't drill with them.

6. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

he might have also hardened the surface of the sheared bolt my heating it up with the drill bit and running it over the surface so much,

the center punch hole is needed,

and then like said use the carbide drill bit,

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

It wouldn't surprise me if it's loctite'd if in a triple clamp.
    If anything is sticking up, I might try cutting a slot in the head, soak with breakfree, heat and then try loosening with a good slotted screwdriver.

8. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Make a slot with a small cutting disk and your dremmel. Be carefull.:cool:

9. Mr Thundermaker

Mr Thundermaker Delta Tau Chi

Try PB Blaster or a penetrating oil. Then use a center punch and a left handed drill bit after the PB Blaster has a chance to work its way into the threads, it should come out alot easier.

10. rboatright

rboatright

the only way is, as you already know to drill it. The question is, how to drill it.

As several have suggested, you need a starter hole, consider a tiny abrasive wheel on a dremel or a tiny diamond burr on a dremel. Cut an X with a wheel or cut a hole with a burr to get a place to drill.

Then use the smallest carbide bit you can, so you can get more effective pressure and cut a leader hole, then enlarge with a drill large enough to get your ezout into.

And, as they said, it's probably got locktite on it, and you'll need heat and or softeners.

No magic tho.

11. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

If the bolt was installed using Loctite, then the Loctite will have to be dealt with before the bolt can be worried out. You might try holding a high wattage soldering iron against the bolt stub until the Loctite burns up and smokes. Then the penetrating oil stands a chance of reaching where it will do some good. Can the triple tree be completely disassembled to expose the stub to vise grips?

12. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

If all else fails, take the triple tree off the bike and to a local machine shop with a "Ram" type EDM. They can basically burn the broken bolt away w/o any damage to the aluminum. Plan on spending $50 - 100
    LF

13. Jay S.

Jay S.

This. Or if you can't find a larger shop with an EDM, the tree can be set up on a Bridgeport and milled out with a carbide end mill.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It is broken off too far down to slot with a dremel and I have already tried heating and soaking with Kroil. As far as the surface hardness, I have, after going through many carbide bits, managed to make a small hole in it, so I'm drill in the same place, but it will de3stroy 2 or 3 bits to drill a milimeter.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Wow,.......time for the machine shop.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I could actually just replace the triple tree for a lot less than that. Actually, what I've spent on drill bits would have bought a used upper triple tree by now.

This was the bolt holding the headlight visor on an older sportser. I'm thinking about just switching to a modern, bottom-mount headlight and shaving off the part with the mounting holes. I hate those lights anyhow.

17. elsolo

elsolo

Don't let an inanimate little scrap of inferior steel beat you.

Couple assumptions on my part:

--Bolt is broken off below flush
    --Bolt material is harder than the part it is screwed into
    --Bolt is 1/4-20 or larger
    --You don't have a mill you could lock the part in, to set up for perfect drilling.

If the tip of the drill bits are wandering around instead of starting in the hole that is perfectly concentric to the bore. You'll need to spot face the tip of the broken screw to make it flat with a 1/8" carbide cutter chucked in a Dremel.

After cleaning up the mess that prevented you from getting the little drill bit started clean in the middle, you can take a NEW drill bit 1/3 the diameter of the hole, using ample cutting/tapping fluid and start the dimple. Let the rotary action of the drill do the work, no need to lean into the tool with impatience.

If you have them, left hand carbide drill bits would be preferred; otherwise just use new HHS bits and go slow, and focus on keeping the bit aligned. Drill a hole small enough so your smallest extractor can just barely get tapped into it.

18. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Have you tried a left-hand drill bit?

I've had those actually back bolts out as I drilled with them.

19. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

Weld a nut to whatever you have to work with- this will give you a way to get it with a wrench, and also burn off any loctite that may be in there.

Put a nut over the broken stud, poke a wire feed welder into the nut, fill it with weld (it might take a try or two), and remove it with a wrench while it is hot. If the bolt is broken below grade, build it up with a little weld before trying to weld the nut on.

You'll want to mask/cover everything else on the bike before welding.

Make sure that you put the ground clamp on the tree itself, so you don't send welding current through any parts/wires that can't handle it.

Good luck.

20. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

As a machinist, and being on motorcycles my whole life...
    Chances are that the bolt has seized with the aluminum of the clamp. With dissimilar metals, this is very common. Your only chance to salvage it will be to go up to the next size. You can drill (minor diameter of threads) out the bolt but the threads will still be stuck to the aluminum. If you can replace the clamp for less than a $100, this is the way to go.
    Remember, antiseize is your friend!