Glock 17 removed slack from g17 trigger for comp

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by -, May 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Guest

A week ago I rigged my G17 to have no slack in the trigger pull. It feels like a 1911 more than a Glock. The problem is now the safety devices in the glock no longer play any roll. I did this for Action Pistol type events with my club. A few of my club friends expressed understandable concern for me doing this yet their guns all have hair triggers and some don't have any safety devices like mine. I don't really see a difference between my glock and their guns safety wise. I fired hundreds of rounds through my gun after the mod and had no problems. With an empty chamber I banged the gun around for a few hours in front of the TV and holstered it for a few days on my hip with out it going off. After the mod my groups have shrunk and my follow up shots are much faster. I have not used it in a match yet because I feel I owe my club members as much testing as I can before I bring it out. I did take the gun to a gun smith and got his blessing and complements on my "plastic work". I think I have tested it enough but wanted to ask you all if there was any other test I should run.

Thanks

2. pangris

pangris Moderator

What exactly did you do? Replace parts? Polish? Cut?

If you have a good relationship with your FLG, then I'd pay him a few bucks for a written evaluation of the gun. He doens't have to declare it safe (and I don't know a gunsmith that would declare ANY gun safe in writing), just state that the work appears well done and that it does not appear unsafe for competition use.

From there, anyone with a 1911 that runs a 2.5 lb trigger will indeed have a hard time telling you why your Glock is unsafe.

Just be *very* careful when reholstering, I would *never* holster the gun with a loaded round without very carefully checking for obstructions that are blocking the trigger.

Also, obviously, never carry it for personal protection.

Paul

3. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Try dropping it with a mag full of dummy rounds making sure the mag basepad hits first. See if the trigger bar discconnects from the striker tang.

Personally, I don't want a glock with all the internal safeties bypassed and the trigger set with no slack. It's the same as having a 1911 cocked but not locked and the grip safety pinned. ;) YMMV though.

4. vluc

vluc

eek...my 34 is down to 2/2.5 lbs for competition but all the safeties work. IIRC, safeties must be functional, at least for USPSA and IDPA....

5. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

A glock with no pre travel and disabled safities is not the same a 1911 even if it has the grip safety disabled.

I consider your glock to be unsafe and I would DQ you for unsafe equipment.

6. VincentZ

VincentZ

The gun is clearly unsafe and is grounds for a DQ.

There is no reason to disable any of the three safeties on a Glock either for competition or carry. It is pretty easy to produce a competition trigger with a 3lb break and a great reset. The take-up is only on the first pull and can be prepped on the draw so it is not an issue. At this point it is up to the shooter to learn good trigger manipulation and control.

If you feel the need for a super Glock trigger there are several reputable Glock-smiths that can provide a great trigger with the safeties intact.

Why risk your safety and the safety of those around you??

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Thank you (and Matt as well). I certainly wouldn't hope to find such an aberration at a GSSF match. With some polishing and the 3.5# OEM connector my 17 is pretty decent & resets better; with same Rx but Scherer my 19 is awesome, what I always wanted out of a great custom shop DA revolver with all the added benefits of the Glock and all safeties are intact. I see no sense in doing such things as described; the gun described has ceased to be a Glock. You can keep it away from me, please.

8. jjayh

jjayh

AMEN

Checkout great triggers from Custom Glock Racing or Dale Rhea's Rhea Gun trigger. You won't be disappointed in either of these.

Jerry H