Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a handsome Taurus 1911 and I didn't know that it was a series 80 until I picked it up at my FFL dealer. Other than me,whom else has removed those funky 80s parts and installed the shim?

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
I have has good luck with my Para Series 80, no need to change it and now it's the son's, he has not complained.

Right now all I own are series 70, a Ruger and a RIA.

The only difference I ever noticed was in detail strip and clean and then reassembly, there are more parts to properly position. Once assembled and function checked they do not seem different.

Just shoot four or five boxes thru your Taurus, you'll like it.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Is the quality of the trigger pull affected? If not, I don't think it's a big deal. I have had a couple S80 Colts that would easily hold their own vs S70 Colts in the trigger department.
I didn't try to remove the parts or replace the lever with a shim.
Agreed, the main difference is difficulty in reassembly after detailed strip of the frame (slide too, to a lesser degree). Getting those pins back in while keeping the parts aligned is a PIA.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i have a regent r100 that i use in single stack division, i ditched the series 80 levers and fire pin blocker after i reassembled it wrong and ended up missing an entire match because of it. i admit it was my mistake in assembly. BUT being i missed a match because of a totally useless feature on the gun i removed it all and put the shim in it and never had another problem since. i dont really notice a difference in trigger pull or feel. i just know its more parts that it just doesnt need being the 1911 was never designed to have that crap in it anyways. they only put that pin safty in it to appease lawers

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i have a regent r100 that i use in single stack division, i ditched the series 80 levers and fire pin blocker after i reassembled it wrong and ended up missing an entire match because of it. i admit it was my mistake in assembly. BUT being i missed a match because of a totally useless feature on the gun i removed it all and put the shim in it and never had another problem since. i dont really notice a difference in trigger pull or feel. i just know its more parts that it just doesnt need being the 1911 was never designed to have that crap in it anyways. they only put that pin safty in it to appease lawers
I have read that the S80 was implemented initially by Colt due to contract requirements (either in existence, proposed or projected) for a drop safe feature. By the early 1980s all new duty pistols had been equipped with a similar firing pin block for that express purpose.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have read that the S80 was implemented initially by Colt due to contract requirements (either in existence, proposed or projected) for a drop safe feature. By the early 1980s all new duty pistols had been equipped with a similar firing pin block for that express purpose.
ive read about the why and the theory behind it. theres no law requiring the pin safty in 1911s, theres alot of companys producing brand new 1911s series 70s today, made just like the originals without the "drop safty"

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
ive read about the why and the theory behind it. theres no law requiring the pin safty in 1911s, theres alot of companys producing brand new 1911s series 70s today, made just like the originals without the "drop safty"
Sure, many do now. But back in 1983 there weren't many production 1911 makers. And I suppose Colt was desperately trying to stay relevant, as usual.

·
20,286 Posts
Reassembling a Colt series 80 1911 after detail strip, is when I learned how to cuss.
That's one big reason to get rid of the series 80 BS. That, and a better trigger pull. Some companies don't use a series 80 or a Shwartz system which works in conjucntion with the grip safety. I think Ruger is one of those companies that just uses a lightweight titanium firing pin and a stronger firing pin spring which also makes for faster ignition That's what I use on my modified 1911A1 Ithaca parts gun

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
if you are worried about a crappy trigger pull. Shoot it more. Or buy a series 80 kit thats coated from Cylinder and Slide in Fremont,Nebraska. It smooths it up 1/2 pound or so. Plus it keeps the 80 series parts, so if your in a shooting it probably would not be an issue. For removing safety parts that is

·
NRA Life Member
68,403 Posts
I have been shooting a series 80 colt 1911 for many years. I'm still waiting for the failures I read about on the internet.
I have never heard anybody claim the series 80 parts caused failure - then again, I am convinced at least 1/4 of internet.shooters don't really own guns. I recently had a series 80 Gold Cup and I have had a Series 80 Delta Elite for about 30 years. I can't really tell a difference in the trigger pull and I can really, really feel trigger pull since I started shooting Bullseye.

On the other hand, I just don't like it, so I traded off the Gold Cup. I would do the same with the Delta Elite except for sentimental value.

·
Director of civil unrest
11,220 Posts
Reassembling a Colt series 80 1911 after detail strip, is when I learned how to cuss.
Other than this, most of us would struggle to tell the difference between the series 70 and 80.
As far as I know, I've never fired a series 80 gun but from what I've heard, it ruins the legendary 1911 trigger.
I'd say if the trigger is good or doesn't bother you, just shoot the hell out of it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Back before the internet is when I discovered there were series 80 haters. I read all I could on it and came to the conclusion that my Colt was just fine the way it was. I have two series 80 pistols now and would not alter them if someone gave me the parts. The triggers are very good on both of them and I am not that bored.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have a Para LTC that ran really rough with the series 80 parts. Erratic ejection, FTRTB, etc. The plunger was poorly fitted and you could feel it "sticking" or rubbing as you racked the slide. Disassembled and cleaned, but no change. Finally took the series 80 parts out and put a shim in it. Runs like a top now. Interestingly, this is a Pineville, NC gun. I have a second, Canadian-made LTC in 9mm and it runs fine. Sample of two, but I look for series 70 style guns now.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,119 Posts
I've owned a very large number of Series 70 1911 pistols. Only one pistol was a Series 80 design Colt. I did have a problem assembling it one time in comparison to the Series 70, but got accustomed to it. Never had an issue with the trigger function. It's different, nothing more. The Series 80 Colt pistol shot like a champ and as always, was a beautiful firearm! Trigger pull was very good right out of the box.

That Series 80 Colt went to a new home and the new owner had a great time with it! He said that he was very happy with it and it was a "keeper!"

The Series 80 design is no problem. My concern in the OP was that you bought a Taurus pistol.
Sorry, ...... no can do.

Flash

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The Taurus 1911s I heard were mostly good. Like all Taurus firearms, each sample should be evaluated independently. Some will be excellent and some perhaps need help. As to the 1911, as long as the frame and slide are built to spec, the rest of the parts can easily be replaced, if that's a concern.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I replaced nearly all the internals on my Taurus 1911 with top shelf parts, but left the mis-named Series 80 parts in place. It still rattles like an old truck, but the trigger is sweet.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
The Taurus 1911s I heard were mostly good. Like all Taurus firearms, each sample should be evaluated independently. Some will be excellent and some perhaps need help. As to the 1911, as long as the frame and slide are built to spec, the rest of the parts can easily be replaced, if that's a concern.
That's the problem with mine. I think the slide person and the frame person were having serious relationship issues and her dad wasn't very happy about it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
If your looking for a 1911 sans 80s parts I'd suggest a Ruger SR 1911. They fix the hammer drop safety issue by putting in a titanium firing-pin and a heavier firing-pin spring.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts