GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Big named companies that use a lot of Wearhouse space are working very hard on AI that will do this. Amazon and Walmart are pouring crazy amounts of money into AI.

·
Registered
114 Posts
But will the AI know how to run the forks through the side of the trailer or how to stack all the heavy pallets on one side of the trailer? Will the AI know how to stack pallets full of 5 gallon buckets of paint on top of glass and porcelain? A certain home improvement warehouse needs to know.

I don't want the next generation to miss out on the warehousing shenanigans that I've come to know and love.

·
Come on man!!
14,348 Posts
Big named companies that use a lot of Wearhouse space are working very hard on AI that will do this. Amazon and Walmart are pouring crazy amounts of money into AI.
George Zimmer approves...

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The hilarious thing about the push to replace workers with automation is that all these companies fail to remember that they are supported by consumers, which is what their workers are. When half the country can't get work because they have been replaced by robots, who is going to buy their products? And don't tell me people will have to shift to new types of jobs, it is proven that automation permanently reduces the number of total workers needed for the workforce.

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
We had automatic cranes in a few warehouses 20+ years ago.

At least they kept track of where they put stuff so we could find it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I watched a guy get his foot run over by a 14,000lb clamp truck carrying a 7000lb roll of paper.....it wasn’t pretty lol. He was kneeling down on the edge of an isle, and the guy driving ran smooth over him and didn’t even check up. It smooshed his foot like a bug.

·
NRA Life Member
28,419 Posts
Probably how Skynet gets started.

Reactions: Sniff

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have family that works for UPS and they already have computer controlled carts-similar to small fork lifts-that can move loads around the warehouse without human interaction.

I agree with what was said above.. While I can see the benefits of AI running everything in the warehouse, the jobs that will be lost, and the trickle-down effect for all of the businesses that support those employees, is going to be a big problem. If there are few, or no, employees.. Even my business will suffer and eventually close. Think about the dry cleaners and uniform services for all of those employees. The work shoe/boot sales that will go away. The support for local restaurants for lunch for all of those employees. The new car sales that will be lost because no employees-no jobs-no car sales. Same for automotive repair. We are all connected in more ways than we casually see or understand. While we are working feverishly to reduce the workforce, we are doing nothing to stop rampant breeding.. What are all those new people going to do here on this Earth? Healthcare and funeral homes are about the only businesses that will not suffer if breeding is allowed to continue at it's current pace. There is no other way for this to end other than chaos and anarchy. When there are no jobs left, and the people who have jobs are expected to pay for those who do not have jobs, the proverbial poop is going to hit the spinny thing with blades.

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,144 Posts
The hilarious thing about the push to replace workers with automation is that all these companies fail to remember that they are supported by consumers, which is what their workers are. When half the country can't get work because they have been replaced by robots, who is going to buy their products? And don't tell me people will have to shift to new types of jobs, it is proven that automation permanently reduces the number of total workers needed for the workforce.
They can just learn to code, man.

/sarcasm

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,473 Posts
I have family that works for UPS and they already have computer controlled carts-similar to small fork lifts-that can move loads around the warehouse without human interaction.

I agree with what was said above.. While I can see the benefits of AI running everything in the warehouse, the jobs that will be lost, and the trickle-down effect for all of the businesses that support those employees, is going to be a big problem. If there are few, or no, employees.. Even my business will suffer and eventually close. Think about the dry cleaners and uniform services for all of those employees. The work shoe/boot sales that will go away. The support for local restaurants for lunch for all of those employees. The new car sales that will be lost because no employees-no jobs-no car sales. Same for automotive repair. We are all connected in more ways than we casually see or understand. While we are working feverishly to reduce the workforce, we are doing nothing to stop rampant breeding.. What are all those new people going to do here on this Earth? Healthcare and funeral homes are about the only businesses that will not suffer if breeding is allowed to continue at it's current pace. There is no other way for this to end other than chaos and anarchy. When there are no jobs left, and the people who have jobs are expected to pay for those who do not have jobs, the proverbial poop is going to hit the spinny thing with blades.
Damn straight!! Agenda- 21 for everyone!!!

... wait, what....................??

·
Registered
7,832 Posts

-Wow, guess we should have never adopted flight for the sake of the railroad industry.
-We should have never developed digital cameras for the sake of the film (Kodak) industry.
-We should have never developed the word processor, then the computer for the sake of they typewriter industry.
-Geez, I hesitate to think what the invention on the Microwave did to people that actually had to cook food...

Respectfully, your arguments have been around for the ages. Innovation also opens up opportunities. Look at all those fork lift workers who will now be predisposed to heart disease, diabetes, etc. by working at a desk 40-hours a week. That's a boon to the healthcare industry!

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Maybe all those kids who grew up playing video games will finally be employable. It works in the military with drones...
aahhh... they're already in the Military flying drones...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts