GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,440 Posts
That has “ disaster “ written all over it.

upload_2020-10-22_9-9-56.jpeg

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,379 Posts
Maybe all those kids who grew up playing video games will finally be employable. It works in the military with drones...

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,500 Posts
I have worked in a factory where humans drove the fork lifts, AI couldn't do any worse.
Ohhhhhh....I wouldn't agree with that.

Without the depth perception and ability to really see what's happening, it's not going to work very well.

·
NRA Life Member
28,440 Posts

·
κολασμένος
18,257 Posts
I'd still take Klaus over RC

Reactions: ERASER

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Those videos frustrate me. That is terribly designed racking that is not really the forklift drivers fault. Yes, he hit is but they should be designed to take that. I know the racks in the warehouses I have been in have heavy steel corners about 3' high to protect the verticals and not so much weight they all collapse if one vertical fails.

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54431056

This technology will allow formerly "hands on" jobs to get outsourced
More likely they will just lose their job entirely. There are plenty of AI driven warehouse robots that go and pick things up. We have the technology now to go to fully auto forklifts it just has to get implemented. The more these idiots push for higher min wage, more benefits, and don't show interest in work the more a gazillion dollar auto forklift looks like a benefit.

·
NRA Life Member
28,440 Posts
AI can't have this much fun.

:D

forklift.gif

And sometimes you don't even need a FL.

forklift1.gif

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Those videos frustrate me. That is terribly designed racking that is not really the forklift drivers fault. Yes, he hit is but they should be designed to take that. I know the racks in the warehouses I have been in have heavy steel corners about 3' high to protect the verticals and not so much weight they all collapse if one vertical fails.
that's a lot to ask of a steel rack. Better to not hit them...

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.35.14 AM.png

·
Registered
10,761 Posts
The drivers do more than just drive. Sometimes they have to get off the forklift and get a pallet loaded and ready to move. They inspect the lift and do operator maintenance. An AI might be able to sense that the tire air is low but can it see why or add air?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
The drivers do more than just drive. Sometimes they have to get off the forklift and get a pallet loaded and ready to move. They inspect the lift and do operator maintenance. An AI might be able to sense that the tire air is low but can it see why or add air?
most standard warehouse forklifts have solid tires. no air. Same mileage with or without B Hussein Obama's advice.

·
Registered
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
They will make allowances for that and have loading stations with people for now. But there is no reason a AI forklift cannot unload a truck and put the contents on the shelves in a warehouse and I would guess in most cross dock warehouses that is where most of the forklift hours are.

·
Registered
10,761 Posts
most standard warehouse forklifts have solid tires. no air. Same mileage with or without B Hussein Obama's advice.
My point is still valid IMO. An AI can deal just fine with a standard loaded pallet. Now give it an odd load or unforeseen situation and see how it does. Work one job driving and you might be in the drivers seat for two hours at a time. At another job you might be out of the seat every five minutes to deal with things. I am sure we will see more robots in the future but I don't think they can or should replace all or most of the labor.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts