Remington's new CBee .22 Long Rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DJ Niner, Nov 8, 2010.

1. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

For those of us who think it would be useful to have a low-velocity, and therefore very quiet .22 load for close-range hunting or pest-control purposes, Remington has stepped up to the plate with a new .22 CBee hollow point load. I am told this load has been available in some areas or online for 6 months or more, but I only recently found it at a local retail store.

[​IMG]

Packaged in Remington's plastic 100-round slip-top box with a stinging-bee logo, the round is loaded in normal length .22 Long Rifle cases. I suppose this is to help it feed more reliably through various magazine types used by firearm manufacturers, and having tried to hand-feed .22 Short-length CBs from other manufacturers into the chamber of several different .22 autoloaders, I heartily endorse the use of the longer case. As the new ammunition is designed for low noise, and low velocity is required to fulfill this requirement, the load does not have enough energy to cycle the action of autoloading firearms, and so the instructive line "Will not operate semi-automatic firearms" is printed right on the box.

[​IMG]

Unlike all other low-velocity rimfire ammo that I've seen, this round has a hollow point bullet, and it appears like it may actually expand in squishy objects, even at very low speeds. It looks like Remington may have started with the thin-edged hollow point used in their Yellow Jacket hypervelocity ammunition (both bullets weigh 33 grains), and added 4 strategic cuts to help the bullet material separate and peel back. The result is a nasty-looking hollow point that should expand even at rock-throwing velocity.

[​IMG]

The printed info on the back of the box indicates velocities of 740 FPS at the muzzle and 687 FPS at 50 yards, resulting in 40 and 35 foot-pounds of energy, respectively. Also noted is a drop of 2.7 inches at 50 yards, if initially zeroed at 25 yards. Nothing was said about the firearm used to record these readings, or the length of its barrel, so I decided to clock a few rounds over my chronograph and see what I'd get with a few different weapons.

-----------------------------------------------

First up was a Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump-action .22 with a 21 inch barrel. This rifle was specifically set up for hunting and pest control with another brand of .22 CB ammo, with manual operation, a close-focusing scope, and a long barrel to keep noise to a minimum. Ten rounds of the new Remington ammo at 3 yards produced these velocities:

672 FPS

Average: 659 FPS

Next in line was a S&W M&P-22 (AR-15 style) carbine with a 16 inch barrel:

627 FPS

Average: 603 FPS

Last up was a 4 inch barreled, 10-shot, S&W model 617 revolver:

457 FPS

Average: 518 FPS

-----------------------------------------------

In the course of chronograph testing and plinking-up the remainder of the first box of ammunition, three functioning problems were noted. Two rounds did not fire, one each in the revolver and the S&W carbine. These rounds both seemed to have solid firing pin impact dents, and still did not fire when re-chambered in the same weapons with the old strike mark rotated 180 degrees before chambering. One round in the revolver fired very weakly during the chronograph testing, giving a reading of 242 FPS. It was replaced with another round in the testing and when figuring the average velocities, as I considered it a defective round. As the velocity was so low, I believe it is possible it could have lodged in the barrel of a longer firearm, depending on the length and overall condition of the barrel.

No accuracy testing was done, as I was pressed for time and I didn't think it would be reasonable to accuracy test under that restriction. The rounds did seem to shoot to approximately the same point of impact and accuracy level as the .22 Short CBs previously used to zero the Remington rifle.

The noise signatures for the new Remington ammo and some older .22 Short CB ammo were indistinguishable to the shooter's ears, covered or not, when fired in the model 572 rifle.

One round was fired into a mostly-full 5-gallon pail of water to test expansion (fired down through the top opening; it did not pass through any plastic). The recovered bullet measured approximately .36" at the widest point, and did not appear to have shed any metal during expansion. It can be seen below.

[​IMG]

Cost of this ammunition was $9.99 a box at a local retailer, but this retailer is definitely not known for competitive pricing, so I hope it can be found cheaper elsewhere, eventually.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. B.Reid

B.Reid

Looks like a nasty bullet.

3. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Great write up and good info.

Interesting little round, no doubt. I just hope it does not have the primer problems (i.e. lack of a primer altogether) that some of the recent Golden Bullets have.

Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Possums beware...

5. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Very good review!!

6. JFrame

JFrame

Thanks for the heads up and the nice review! :thumbsup:

7. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

Awesome review and photos. Will have to do a search, but have you done similar tests with other .22 ammo? Found it informative and wanted to see how other .22 rounds compared. Will be searching next to see.

8. TonyT

TonyT

I purchased some Remington CBee 22LR solids several years ago. The new CBee HP should be a winner.

9. engineer151515

engineer151515

yes.

:wavey:

10. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

So are these rounds gun-powder free? (Like Aguila Super-Colibri)

I really like the idea of using normal length .22 cases. (Unlike Aguila Super-Colibri)

11. DJ Niner

No, they're not primer-only rounds. Each cartridge has about 1 grain of a very fine round-flake gunpowder in it.

12. DJ Niner

Thanks for the kind words. I did a velocity-in-various-rifle-barrel-lengths test of .22 rimfire ammo many years ago and posted it in this forum, but I think it may have been lost to one of the server failures. I used an old Mossberg .22 bolt-action rifle with a 24" barrel, and sawed it off two inches at a time, re-testing the velocity of each load at each barrel length (24", 22", 20", 18" and 16.25"). They gun is long gone to a trade, but I think I still have a few chunks of the barrel somewhere. :supergrin:

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Sweet,...thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to find some to try

14. MajorD

MajorD

I have always enjoyed shooting these quiet light 22's. This is the first CB I have seen with a hollow point which is definitely interesting for pest control.

15. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

I bought some of this in maybe April or May, and one thing is , it does indeed warn "No semis" and also, I have presently 3 .22LRs (and will probably get more, although I LOVE the 3 I have, I love the .22LR round and so many cool rifles to choose from lol)

My Rem 597 is VERY ammo-choosy and doesn't eat ANY Ammo made by Remington (go figure) , my S&W M&P 15-22 has never had a problem of any kind but it eats a steady diet of vegetarian "CCI" lol. And my awesome bolt action Savage Mark II GXP is labeled as .22 LONG RIFLE "ONLY" so I tried these ammos in it, and it worked fine, but again in my humble opinion its not THAT quiet... at least its not queit enough to shoot in the basement without people knowing, which is what I was hoping for.

but as usual DJ Niner excellent review and very professional..

How's the 15-22 coming along? I am damn impressed with mine, and about dne, wanna compare pics?

16. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I guess that a semi-auto rimfire owner could just hand cycle the action after every round. Sounds neat.

deadite

17. JFrame

JFrame

I love my lever-action and semiauto .22 rifles -- but being able to easily feed rounds of any configuration is a big reason why I LOVE my TC Contender single-shot... :)

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

Excellent write-up, very useful info.
    I'm definitely going to check that stuff out, might be perfect for the Henry.

19. DJ Niner

After wearing various scopes and dot sights, the configuration has pretty much reverted to the photos in post 14 of this thread:

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191114

It's functioning fine now, but accuracy still could be better, despite the installation of a two-stage trigger. I didn't do much with it this past summer, as I was messing with some new-to-me Glocks; they were sucking up most of my time and what little money I could spare.

I'll probably find a quasi-military-looking red dot sight or scope to put on it, then call it a day as far as modifications go. Fun little gun, and it has saved (and will continue to save) me a lot on ammo costs over shooting full-bore .223/5.56mm.

That's what I did; it fired and manually extracted/ejected/fed/chambered all subsequent rounds just fine.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  20. treeline

treeline

Great review, thanks. I don't recall ever seeing hollowpoint subsonics like that before. I might have to try some on the local magpie plague.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010