Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone watch this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ov9XKbA1Hw"]Sneak Peek - Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation - YouTube[/ame]

It's on Netflix streaming until March 1st. I know it CNBC (who just sucks) but I think it's worth a watch anyways.

It's interesting to watch. Has anyone every had their Remington 700 fire "accidentally" like in this show? Lots of poor gun handling contributed to these sad deaths as well as any issues with the Remington 700 in any case.

If nothing else you can meet the man who designed the 700 which is pretty cool. Still building guns and shooting at 95 years old :)

I would still buy a 700 if I wanted one. Just found this interesting. Some typical CNBC crap/slants and verbiage thrown in. They clearly don't like firearms but there is some interesting video thrown in.

·
MDW Guns
3,745 Posts
This is old news.
In the beginning I did not give too much about it and thought it was a freak thing.
Then one day a customer came in with a 700 and sure as hell you just had to push the charge handle forward and you heard the click. The safety was on!

Remington fixed it at no expense and within a week!
However this did leave a negative feeling towards the 700.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
This video is a joke. They tried to demonize Remington's best-selling rifle saying it was faulty. There was a response video to this and it showed the 700 that was acting up had been compromised. Just another scam they tried to pull to take down one of America's leading manufacturers.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This video is a joke. They tried to demonize Remington's best-selling rifle saying it was faulty. There was a response video to this and it showed the 700 that was acting up had been compromised. Just another scam they tried to pull to take down one of America's leading manufacturers.
Could be just that. :dunno:

But when the man who designed the gun himself says that a design fault existed, which he did in the show....well that carries some weight I think. And they showed more that one 700 doing it, so if it was modified then more than one model 700 model was. If the documents they showed were real even the USMC admitted the issue was legit. Not sure if you watched the entire show (45 mins I think in length) but it was not 1 gun nor 1 incident highlighted.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
I have a 700 BDL in .270 do all rifles do this ? was it fix at one time /year of manufacture? going to check mine tomorrow.. if I push on the bolt it will fire correct? if defective.
first time news for me WOW. thanks

·
NRA Life Member
73,562 Posts
I think I had that issue once when deer hunting. I had my bolt partially open until I got to my hunting spot (normally just have an empty chamber, but I chambered a round on the way in because we had spooked up a lot of deer while walking). I aimed at a deer and pulled the trigger and just got a light click - then I took my right hand (so no finger near the trigger) and raised the muzzle up and put my hand on the bolt handle and it fired.

Pretty strange, but it doesn't really concern me. If I have a round chambered, it isn't pointed anywhere that it will hurt anything.

And, to be fair, my 700VS's trigger pull probably has to be measured in grains. The wind may have blown it as I was closing the bolt.

·
Always Carrying
3,153 Posts
The 700 is the most overrated bolt rifle since the Mosin-Nagant.
Based on what?.....your opinion I guess. I'm not impressed with their newer stuff but the 2 Factory 700VS rifles I have outshoot plenty of custom rifles at half the price. 1/2" five shot groups are the norm and some smaller when I do my part.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
This is old news.
In the beginning I did not give too much about it and thought it was a freak thing.
Then one day a customer came in with a 700 and sure as hell you just had to push the charge handle forward and you heard the click. The safety was on!

Remington fixed it at no expense and within a week!
However this did leave a negative feeling towards the 700.
I believe the problem was Remington's stubbornness to admit it was a problem. The problem didn't just affect one caliber. It affected several calibers in the 700 line.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Remington learned of this problem, from the man who designed the 700, early on in production, when only a relatively small number of guns had gone out the door. Remington didn't want to spend the money to recall what guns were already released, nor did they want to spend the 5.5 cents per gun to solve the problem with a proposed design alteration, deciding it'd be cheaper to pay any possible future settlements.

That was 65 years ago. Whether or not some of the people who've had issues with the 700 could have practiced better gun handling, Remington knowingly sold a flawed product, concerned only with the bottom line.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The full video covered pretty much everything posted so far so if anybody has a interest it it worth watching IMO. They even show why the rifles might be having this problem with a break down of the trigger system. It makes sense why it only occurs sometimes and not in every rifle. They also provide a bunch of internal Remington documents as evidence that they knew of the potential of this being an issue. Cost being a reason they avoid fixing it.

The estimates they give of what it would cost Remington to fix all the rifles already in private hands is more than the net worth of the company. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

Like I said I would still buy a 700 but this appears to be a real issue with some of their older guns at least. The first hand examples given on here only make that appear to be more true to me.

I think the show did a pretty fair job of covering it. CNBC sucks IMO and I hate to give them credit but they seemed pretty balanced overall. Even the father who's 9 year old son was killed by what was reported to be a 700 with this issue was shown "dealing" with the tragedy in his own way. That was by shooting a rifle in field for relaxation. I thought that was a pro gun moment if there ever was one on a show like this.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
This video can also been seen on HULU I think or just by googling it.

With that said and I'm not picking any side on this matter, I did have a Model 700 BDL Deluxe in 7mm RemMag discharge when closing the bolt on a round. The round hit the dirt 5 feet in front of me and I returned the gun that evening. That is all.

·
Not Assimilated
1,668 Posts
Based on what?.....your opinion I guess. I'm not impressed with their newer stuff but the 2 Factory 700VS rifles I have outshoot plenty of custom rifles at half the price. 1/2" five shot groups are the norm and some smaller when I do my part.
Based upon facts: There are much better bolt rifles. The Rem700 wouldn't make my top ten of such rifles because:

It lacks a one piece steel bolt. It's three parts brazed together.
A flat one piece bottom iron is ideal, the 700's rounded aluminum one is not.
Controlled feed is better than push feed for reliability in extraction.
Its bolt release is inside the trigger guard, which is pretty dumb.
The safety design is substandard. It hasn't been capable of locking the bolt since 1982 and never locked the firing pin.

A Winchester 70, any Sako, Weatherby, or Howa is a far better bolt choice than a 700.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This video can also been seen on HULU I think or just by googling it.

With that said and I'm not picking any side on this matter, I did have a Model 700 BDL Deluxe in 7mm RemMag discharge when closing the bolt on a round. The round hit the dirt 5 feet in front of me and I returned the gun that evening. That is all.
Did you have to change your undies, I would have had too :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.