close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington Tac-14 Forend Strap Modification Final Config #2

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by BSteadman, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

So I've been experimenting with a forend strap on my Tac-14. A final decision won't be made until I hit the range sometime this week to see how the current configuration with the Magpul Hand stop works. I'm seriously thinking a strap won't be necessary. Given the grip texture of the hand stop and my general hand/arm strength. In addition I'm not timing myself on how quickly I can put 5 rounds down range. Please excuse the use of tape and staples to temporarily tac things into place. Also in some of the pics obviously the strap needs to be shortened. The strap came from an old fanny pack.

CurrentConfiguaration.jpg

Here's the first configuration I've tried. Utilizing the Magpul sling mount, then looping the strap over the rear hand stop and mounting the end of the strap on the back of the forend. This is the method I would choose if it becomes necessary. It has the best feel. Screws would go into the forend on the back where you see the tape wrapped around.

Method1.jpg Method1a.jpg Method1b.jpg

Second configuration places the strap on the inside of the hand stop rather than looping over the top. It works but feels wonky and starts to make an already tight space tighter. I also have concerns about placing a screw or pop rivet into the hand stops face. (this method would require the use of something behind the hand stop as support material) My least favorite. Yes those are my PAJAMAS in the picture.

Method2.jpg Method2a.jpg Method2c.jpg

The third method eliminates the Magpul hand stop furniture altogether and utilizes two sling mounts. If you didn't want to use sling mounts you could simply mount the strap to the forend like Mossberg does on their corncob. This would be my second choice.
    Method3.jpg Method3a.jpg Method3d.jpg

My choice for the Tac 14 over the Shockwave are simple.
    1. Remington action/steel receiver
    2. Availability of firearm at the time of purchase
    3. Mapul forend that allows for various accessories to be mounted. This a moot point as you could do the same on the Shockwave.
    4. In the case of a PGO (pistol grip only) I prefer the location of the Remington safety.
    5. Remington finish.

Shockwave advantages:
    1. Dual extractors
    2. Pre drilled receiver for mounting rail. Again a moot point as drilling and taping the Tac
    14 I can do myself in addition to no desire to scope/red dot it. If that's needed I'll mount
    a green laser/light on the Magpul forend.
    3. Already comes with 5 +1 capability
    4. Mossberg is almost 1/2 pound lighter (TAC-14: 5.65 Lbs; Shockwave: 5.25 Lbs)
    5. Ability to shoot Aguila Minishells with adapter that must be removed when shooting 2
    and 3/4 inch shells. I'm thinking if the Aguila shells turns out to be a big deal there will
    be a mod for the Remington. If not maybe I'll make one myself.

Seriously it boils down to what an individual wants and puts a premium on. For me it was the Remington action and Magpul forend. I could have been just as happy with a Shockwave. On another note I did just see a two tone Mossberg Shockwave with a Marine colored receiver.

My ammo of choice for the Tac 14 is Federal Law Enforcement Tactical 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 Buckshot 15 Pellets.

Hope this helps out.

Brad

fflincher and Brass3 like this.
  2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Nice idea. Had you thought about turning the handstop around so the long part is in front?

L-2, DJ Niner and Jsferrazza like this.

3. deadeye99

deadeye99

I'm curious about the results. Have you fired this set up? I bought a shockwave last week and put 200 rounds through it. 50 7.5's and 150 00buck and slugs, some magnum loads. I think anything hard toward the front of the grip would be painful if your hand slips and it will with sweat and all.

fflincher likes this.
  4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Third option, with 2 sling swivels looks like a winner.

5. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

I knew I was forgetting to do something. Here's what that configuration looks like. What I like about this configuration is that on the upward (shell loading movement) where your hand is most like to slip off the larger hand stop is very effective.

Option4.jpg Option4a.jpg Option4b.jpg Option4c.jpg

6. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

I like the 2 sling swivel configuration. Here's a slight modification using the front lower hand stop.

Option5.jpg Option5b.jpg Option5c.jpg Option5d.jpg

7. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

I'm just waiting on some additional ammo arriving Thursday or Friday of this week to give it shot. I'll follow up with a range report.

8. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

Just got back from the range. Other than muddy shoes and Oakley's we had a great time.

MuddyOakleys.jpg

This is the configuration that was used utilizing the Magpul hand stop and strap.

TestConfiguration.jpg

Fired 50 rounds, 25 Aguila buckshot and Federal 00 buck 8 pellets. Function wise regarding the hand stop and strap this setup worked good. When firing from the hip no issues whatsoever. First the hip absorbs some recoil (if slightly rested against your hip) and your left hand is at a nearly 90 degree angle to the forend. This is very comfortable shooting. When you raise the gun to shoulder level out in front of you so you can see the bead sight it's impossible for your grip/hand to maintain a 90 degree angle to the forend. When fired this causes your left hand pointer finger to be driven into the hand stop. The strap does an excellent job keeping the hand in place. Shooting from shoulder height would become uncomfortable in as few as 10 rounds of 2 3/4 inch shells. No issues with the Mini shells given their reduced recoil.

Regarding the Mini Shells at first I was going slowly and using an average pump stroke. Most issues (9 out of 10) occurred during shell ejection. They hang up in the port about 3/4's out with the brass stuck in the receiver. During the last 15 rounds I pumped it with authority and all 15 rounds feed and ejected flawlessly.

The Federal 00 buck are definitely more stout and no issues whatsoever with feeding or ejecting. The +1 extension tube worked flawlessly. Going to keep the side saddle on.

I found this gun to point very well at self defense distances of 7 yards from either hip level or shoulder level.

On my next outing I will remove the hand strap and utilize the taller/larger hand stop on the front of the forend as in this picture.

Option4c.jpg

Love the smooth quiet Remington action. I was very impressed with the functionality of this gun.

Brad

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    fflincher and MO Fugga like this.
  9. deadeye99

deadeye99

This is what I was referring to when I posted above. I had no problem shooting like that and if my hand slipped the strap would catch it. I tried to press forward and make the strap tight and ouch! All the recoil is felt in your left index finger. I would think a hard plastic handstop would be worse. This was with magnum slugs and the fireball is pretty cool. I think the strap is bet left loose. Jmho

fflincher likes this.
  10. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

I agree, leaving the strap slightly loose is a better idea. I think I have my strap definitely a tad too tight. Like you said pressing forward making it tight is uncomfortable. The hard plastic of the hand stop exacerbates the problem. With the shorter hand stop up front, more of the corner is being driven into my index finger. Next outing I'll loosen the hand strap a bit and as you stated if my hand slips the strap will still catch it. Also going to try it without the strap and the bigger finger stop up front. Thanks

fflincher likes this.
  11. pgg00

pgg00

Pajamas? Who wears pajamas? :dunno:

Sniffler likes this.
  12. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

Whelp here's the final configuration.

Final Configuration.jpg Final Configuration2.jpg Final Configuration3.jpg

13. snorth

snorth

I don't see what the strap is doing for you in the last configuration?

Willard likes this.
  14. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Yeah, I've enjoyed this thread so far, cause I really don't wanna blast my left hand. But, I don't understand your final configuration. The strap no longer keeps your hand from moving forward. The handstop does, but now the strap isn't functional.

15. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

Notice in the final configuration the strap is not so much over the fingers, but rather around the wrist. In the videos I've watched of the Tac-14 the only time the hand has slipped off the supplied forend was during rapid fire drills. I believe the slipping off is a non issue if you're not rapid firing with the supplied forend. From my testing I firmly believe the hand stop with the larger stop up front prevents the hand from sliding forward off the forend. With the strap more around the wrist than the fingers in the final configuration (which I'm still playing with) while it doesn't hold ur left hand tight against the forend it does offer additional security/safety.

The configuration I'm experimenting with currently secures the strap to the back end of the forend behind the smaller hand stop. This appears to be promising.

16. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Even if it is around your wrist, I would favor having it anchored at the rear of the forend. Just further insurance to prevent your hand sliding forward toward the muzzle. Just my two cents!

ronin.45 likes this.
  17. ronin.45

ronin.45

I agree. Your previous iterations were more effective. If not to keep your hand from going forward, the strap serves no purpose.

18. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

Alrighty basically I like three of the tested configurations not necessarily in this order. 1) Small hand stop up front with strap, 2) Big hand stop up front, small in back with wrist strap, 3) Big hand stop up front, small in back with wrist strap attached to sling mount and screwed into back of forend.

Wrist strap screwed into the back of forend configuration:

Screw.jpg Screw2.jpg Screw3.jpg Screw4.jpg Screw5.jpg Screw6.jpg

I will leave it in the last configuration until I think of something else...yes I've got ideas but don't know where to lay my hands on the necessary item. Basically I want to find a flat piece that will lay in between the strap and has finger holes.

I'm pleased with the way the final configuration using the strap turned out...my workmanship could have been a tad better so I'll blame it on 6 cups of coffee this morning and the wife parading around...LOL One screw in the bottom would have been sufficient but two is better. I could have tried to put both screws going down instead of the second screw going in at an angle but didn't want to stress that area. The other idea I toyed with was using the dremel and making another M-Lok slot for a single bolt on the small flat surface area directly behind the small hand stop to mount the strap. I've jerked pretty hard on the strap and it isn't going anywhere. The section of the strap with the screws through is where the strap joins together which was heavily sewn. I heated a scratch awl to make my holes in the nylon for the screws.

The strap undoubtedly holds the left hand firmly in place so it won't fly off/out. I don't think with the large hand stop up front that is going to happen...but better safe than sorry as I don't like the nickname "NUBS"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Willard likes this.
  19. ronin.45

ronin.45

This configuration looks much better.

Willard likes this.
  20. kilyung

kilyung

I use skateboard tape on my Magpul equipped Mossy 590a1. It makes the forend stick to my hands. Have you considered using grip tape?