Remington Rebate/possible scam...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DaleGribble, Feb 21, 2017.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble FullClip CANT BREATHE!!!!!

I'm posting this for two reasons, one is to vent, and two is to find out if anyone else has had a similar issue...

On 11/27/2016 I purchased 2000 rounds of Remington ammo from Cabelas so I could participate in Remington's advertised Black Friday Mail-In Rebate, which entitled purchasers to a $5 dollar rebate per box of ammo. I bought 40 boxes, which was the maximum number allowed in the rebate. I mailed my UPC codes and rebate submission form on 12/13/16. The rebate submission deadline was 12/19/16, so I mailed my submission well before the deadline.

On 1/16/2017 I received an email from Remington indicating that they had received my rebate submission and that they were processing my rebate. This email also included a link and a tracking number that I could use to monitor the status of my rebate.

As of today I still had not received my rebate so I went online and checked the status of my rebate, the status update said I should have received a "response" on 2/19/2017. So I called the number on the rebate webpage and spoke with an operator who told me my rebate submission had been denied because it was postmarked on 12/27/2016, which was after the rebate deadline of 12/19/16. I told the girl she was very wrong, she disagreed and said she would file an appeal and I could call back in a week to see if I could get my rebate.

At that point, I was pretty pissed. I knew I mailed my submission prior to the deadline but I had no clue where I had put the paperwork and USPS receipt. After searching for a while I finally checked the ammo can with the 2000 rounds of ammo in it and found all the paperwork for the rebate. Thankfully I had paid for USPS tracking and the tracking number confirmed the dates. So I called back, spoke to the same operator and I told her I have the receipt with the tracking number and that per USPS, they received my submission on 12/16/2016. She wanted me to fax her a copy of the receipt. I told her I wasn't faxing her anything and all I was going to do was file a complaint with the FTC over Remington's unethical business practices. Her immediate response was "I'm processing your rebate check right now sir." Unbelievable.

I know Freedom Group, Remington's parent company, has run the company into the ground with their horrible QC and faulty guns but I never thought that they would outright lie in order to defraud customers. I'm debating actually filing a complaint with the FTC over this.

2. dudel

dudel

Rebates aren't normally handled by the company giving out the rebates. There's an entire fullfillment industry that handles MIRs. I'd let Remington know directly of the problem. The processors (not Remington), might be running the scam.

3. JMS

JMS 02

Exactly, one of the larger processors is Blackhawk Engagement Solutions. https://www.bhengagement.com/

They do everything to deny a rebate including flat out lying. It took me months to resolve an issue with them, finally wrote BBB on the entire organization and that got their attention, their ONLY concern was having the BBB close the dispute, that is the ONLY thing that they cared about.

4. DaleGribble

I fired off an email to Remington through their webpage about the whole fiasco. I've yet to hear anything but it's only been about thirty minutes.

5. 29glock27

29glock27 版主是屄

Yeah, this.

6. JMS

JMS 02

If the above company is behind it I can give you an email address of a higher up. A lot of times once you find out how they structure the email addresses you can easily contact the CEO, etc.

7. DaleGribble

I looked closely at the fineprint of the rebate tracking page and Velocity Fulfillment Inc. is the company that runs the webpage. They've got 28 complaints on the BBB page. Sorry bastards!

8. DaleGribble

Thanks, especially given our history.

It's not that company, but from the sounds of things, they're run pretty much the same way.

9. JMS

JMS 02

History is in the past.

Looks like you should also contact the BBB, seems like they are quick to resolve those complaints. I guess they want to advertise to new clients that they are BBB A+, even though they shouldn't be.

Mine ended up so messed up I ended up getting $100 in additional rebates, when they asked me to refund them the money I told them the period of time to contact me had expired. F em.

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

I bought some Mobile oil with a rebate - when I got home I realized I had messed up -

There wasn't a box on the rebate form to match what I had done.

It was something like -

10 quarts of Mobile1 and you get $xx back

10 quarts of Mobile Super and get $X back (less)

I had purchased 5 of each -

I sent it in anyway - with a note explaining I wanted to split the difference.

I figured I would never hear from them again -

To my surprise a few month later I got a check that was half of each rebate.

I also did a rebate on Pennzoil Platinum - it was like $15 off a 5 quarts -

So I grabbed one at Walmart - I tried to do the online thing - but Walmart was not an approved retailer - so I mailed it in -

A few months later I got a check from them.

I read a story about a company that sold a hair blow dryer for $14.95 and had a $15 rebate offer. So the rebate was greater than the purchase price -

So many people didn't bother mailing the rebate in that they still made money on the item.

11. AzItLies

AzItLies

Hmmmm, sorry to hear. I received my rebate back about a month ago.

I did notice every communication from them gave me a different number to track the progress with? kind of bizarre.

You did the right thing keeping documentation of it all and tracking etc. Things can and do go wrong. In this case? is there any way to prove ill intent on their part?

12. DaleGribble

I'm glad you got your rebate without any trouble.

Beyond a reasonable doubt, no.

Given their actions and statements prior to receiving factual data from me after I found out that they were trying to pull a John Holmes on me, and then their willingness to change course and issue my $200 refund without actually seeing said factual data, I'd say the vast majority of people would conclude, just as I did, that they're sorry bastards.

Sorry bastards!

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  13. DaleGribble

I rarely do rebates unless they're for a decent sum of money, in this case this rebate was a decent sum of money.

I'm betting they thought I would just roll over and take it like a like a metrosexual. They didn't know they were dealing with Dale Gribble.

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I say you should hold Remington responsible for this. They hired the scammers. They advertised the rebate. They're getting your business. They hired a crooked subcontractor to insulate them from their customers, and that ain't right.

15. Beermeister

Beermeister Deplorable

Isn't Remington known for crappy customer service in recent years?

16. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

More like forever along with perennial ammunition recalls due to lack of quality control. SJ 40

17. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Interesting,i purchased an R1 last January and sent in the rebate paperwork by certified mail w/return receipt.I received my rebate check($75.00) in about 8 weeks.Whenever i deal with anything important through the mail i always sent it certified mail.

18. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I don't think any business runs at 100% efficiency, occasional errors are going to happen. I doubt very much they're running a scam and intentionally trying to rip people off.

dudel likes this.
  19. moeman

moeman

Remington reminds me of why dying young like Marilyn Monroe was best.

Cerebus cancer is not curable.

SJ 40 likes this.
  20. Z71bill

Z71bill

When I bought my Versa Max from Bud's I figured I got a bargain - $995 total

Someone on GT posted something about a Remington rebate - so I mailed one in and got a $100 check.

In this case $895 > $995 :dancingbanana: