14,306 Posts
my remington rand is marked as so
(Left side of slide)
Remington Rand INC
Syracuse N.Y. USA
(Right side of frame)
SM 27534
Any info helps
That's a war time contract pistol; RR made roughly 629,000 of them ( more than Colt or Ithica during the war).

Is it still U.S. Property marked on the right side of the frame?

Pictures would be of great help....

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
Wow, that is in pretty rough shape.

The number is too short to be the serial # ( the serial numbers had 7 digits and no letters) and is a little too high on the frame, it's actually covering part of where the United States Property stamp would be, and also the numbers look too big.

In original form, the pistol itself would look like this:
0513200015a.jpg

And the left side of the frame should look like this:
0513200024_HDR~2.jpg

It looks as though someone applied their own number to the pistol after removing all the government markings on the frame, or it's not the original frame. A lot of the surplus war pistols were used as the foundation for a lot of custom builds for competition, etc, for years, so to see a mismatch between frame and slide would not be uncommon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This guy brought it to me to polish and nickel chrome for him. I had to make sure I wasn't ruining history.

·
Premium Member
42,134 Posts
Wow....really rough shape, such a shame. I think that frame is a Colt “Service Model” or ACE frame. That sucks they were rather rare.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I told the OP on PM without pictures that the serial number is for a 1980 Service Model Ace .22. But the pictures show no other Colt markings and some funky contours. I don't know exactly what it is now, but what with the Micro sights on the RR slide, he will not be hurting any collector value by plating it.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
To elaborate on #15, the A1 scallops are not the same side to side, the trigger guard is too round, The frame "windows" are oddly shaped with a bevel at the top rear corner, there are none of the markings that would be present on a 1980 Colt. It is either a Colt SM Ace that has been hacked up or a knockoff that just happens to have "SM" in front of the serial number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts