remington primers (soft)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mi-fordson, Mar 1, 2010.

1. mi-fordson

mi-fordson

When we could not find primers (glad that is all over) all i could find in small pistol was some remington small pistol. This is the first time i ever used remington normaly use winchester or wolf, anyway i just ran out and started useing the remingtons and when i got done and was case gauging i noticed that the primer on most has a dent or a scratch. I shot a few of the bad looking ones and all shot fine. Have any of you guys seen this with remington primers? I am loading on a dillon 450 with the 550 up grade priming system.

Thanks mi-fordson

2. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

I've had that issue sometimes with Win primers if there is a flake of powder in the priming cup. The powder will leave a dent or an impression in the primer.

3. Sheep

Sheep

i use the same primers and load w/ a hand priming tool. every primer has an indentation from the tool. I've been told that it is not a big deal.

4. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Sometimes you'll get a little "shaving" piece of brass in the primer cup which will leave the dent indication. I sometimes have a "bottled air" can near my loading so I can blow it off quickly. That or an old tooth-brush works fine. Nothing to worry about..... continue on.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Every 100rds I check my primer cup for crap that get on it.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Well, maybe the primer shortage is over for you in the MI economy, but most places are still running very short on pistol primers across the country. I use a lot of RP, they are no softer than any other. Like the guys said, keep the primer cup clean w/ a brush or compressed air.

7. mi-fordson

mi-fordson

Thanks for the help i will try to keep the primer cup cleaner just wanted to make sure everything was ok...

mi-fordson