Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lean & Mean
15,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Isn't this thing cool? Designed by John Moses Browning. Pump action, hammer-less, tubular-magazine, bottom-ejecting, take-down shotgun. Grandma of Ithaca 37.
Made between 1921 and 1933 when Remington quality was likely at its highest. Offered in 20 gauge only with different barrel lengths...including police model. 20 inch, cylinder bore, utility shotgun. Take a look at this video, please (if you are interested in the history of Remington model 17):

In an effort to attract police department sales, Remington introduced in 1926 the Model 17R Riot Gun, which sold for $46.95, as soon as the first production run of sporting guns was completed. This model was essentially their sporting gun that featured a cylinder bore barrel 20 inches in length with a four-shot magazine capacity, an overall length of about 39 inches and unloaded weighed approximately 5.25 pounds. With a round in the chamber, the overall capacity of the gun was five rounds. The Model 17R was the first 20 gauge riot gun that Remington produced. It should be noted that there was no disconnector to the trigger mechanism thus allowing a “slam-fire” technique of operation if the operator so chose. This means that if the trigger were held back and the pump action cycled, the gun would fire upon the action closing. This allowed a rapid fire operation as fast as the operator could pump the forearm back and forth.

I didn't win the last auction for Stevens 58, but I'll try to get this thing. Fair to good overall condition with VG bore. May be fun to work on and restore that thing. Fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Cool looking shotgun. My SIL recently gave me a model 31 in 20 gauge. 26” barrel with cylinder bore. The blueing is in pretty rough shape, and I would like to get it checked before shooting it. I know better than trust anything that some of her relatives may have touched, and she agrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nestor

·
Lean & Mean
15,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Remington came back to me, with the year of manufacturing. 1929.

Reactions: lazarus66
1 - 4 of 4 Posts