GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Free Full Clip!
17,133 Posts
They will be back. How many times has Colt been bankrupt?
Colt has come back from bankruptcy but they were never as devastated by financial problems as Remington. When Cerebus Capital Management took over Remington and Marlin they fired many experienced employees and hired a cheaper labor force and the quality of their firearms has suffered greatly. That never happened with Colt.

Last month, Remington announced that its lenders had agreed to cut its $948 million debt load by $700 million in exchange for an ownership stake in the company. There is no telling who the new management of the company will be, except that they will be investment bankers and not gun manufacturers.

If they could hire someone to run the company who really knows gun manufacturing the company could recover it's reputation for quality, but if they just hire some bean-counter, things aren't going to turn around.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
Sad that Freedom Group or Cerebus simply squeezed all the profit that they could out of them through compromising quality.

They used to have a good reputation, the 700, the most famous US military sniper rifle, the ubiquitous Model 870. Add in the disasterous R51 and they're swirling toward the outlet of the bowl.

Leaves Ruger as the only wholly privately owned major gun company in the US. Don

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Has a Remington shaver once.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
856DFD46-2833-4675-8FD4-F8A26A2E2C9E.jpeg

This is one of the better looking guns made by Remington.

Nobody will miss Remington firearms. They can concentrate on shavers and blenders now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Cerberus Group isn't making money by saving payroll expense, if the company loses money and goes Ch. 11. I'm sure their plan was to buy Remington, increase the value and sell at a gain to another PE or launch an IPO. Can't do that in Ch. 11.

·
Registered
15,127 Posts
i guess im ok with that. out of all the guns ive ever owned only one is a Remington a Remington 1100 primere sport sporting 12ga.... thats it and i wasnt planning to add any so..moot point.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My ‘82 700 BDL is a great shooting and good looking rifle. I’ll never sell it. Same goes for both of my 870s...

·
NRA Life Member
5,542 Posts
What year was it that quality went noticeably down?

I have a 700 tactical in .223 that was bought in 2009 and i think it was on the borderline of the transition, but mine has been great and the most accurate centerfire I own.

I did return it to my local Remington Service Center to get the recall done on the X mark trigger, so that makes me think things were starting down hill by then, but I understand it's gotten worse.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
This has to come as a surprise to nobody.
I’m shocked it took this long. No need to blame it in the “Trump slump “ either. She was going downhill like a snowball headed for Hades before Trump was elected.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can't believe they were a billion dollars in debt. That's close to five percent of what the entire firearms industry does in gross revenue per year, and of the multitude of brands Remington owns only one, Remington (which is #3), is in the top ten brands by volume. Somebody in management, or several folks for that matter, has absolutely no idea what they are doing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts