close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington Hevi-Shot.... it's as good as they claim!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rfb45colt, Oct 4, 2002.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Being a die-hard duck hunter for many, many years, I've tried every lead substitute to come along. Steel shot sucks, and I refuse to use it any more. I've tried the Bismuth, the tungsten-steel, and the tungsten polymer. All were slightly better than steel. All have one thing in common... they're expensive, and IMO, not that much better than steel to justify the cost. But along comes Hevi-Shot. A sporting goods outlet nearby had Hevi-Shot on sale over the Labor Day weekend, so I bought 5 boxes, at $14 a pop. I bought two boxes each of #4 & #6 shot, and one of #2 (for geese). Last Sunday, and again last evening, I went duck hunting with my new Hevi-Shot loads. The stuff works!!!! On Sunday morning, I folded two mallards cleanly... one at 40 yards, and her partner Mr Greenhead at 50! Both were dead before the splash. Two shots, two dead ducks. Upon cleaning the birds, I was amazed to see complete pass throughs on the 40 yarder, and the pellets went through to the opposite breast on the 50! And I used 2 3/4" #6s! Last evening, it was very windy, and I switched to the #4s. Three shots, three dead mallards. I haven't seen performance like that since they banned lead shot. In fact, I think this stuff is BETTER than lead. I can't wait to try the #2s on geese. Duck hunting is fun again. This duck hunter of 30+ years is sold on Hevi-Shot, whatever the cost. ;f

2. noway

noway

The remington web site at one time had a .mov file and looked very promising with the pattern and density when compared to other non-toxic loads. Very much worth every penny when it helps you fill you're refrig.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Although I agree that Hevi-Shot is a good round, I have to say that I haven't had a problem bring down the ducks with steel shot. Hevi-Shot has more range then steel shot, but as long as you know the limitations or your particular shot choice, it's no biggy. At $20-$25 a box of 10, Hevi-Shot is a little rich for most, I use it for geese exclusively, but only keep a little on hand while duck hunting & use mostly 3" mag #2's in steel.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your "post" heads a little like an advertisement.

4. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker