Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Scottish Member
I used to carry the 180 grain Remington GS. I chose this becuase I knew a Lt at the MPD that worked in training and did the research/ballistic testing for the MPD selection of ammunition about ten (10) year ago. In 9mm, he selected either the 124 or 147 GS. I'm not sure what the MPD currently uses.

Now I prefer HST.

Here's the Lucky Gunner testing on it, so that should give you an idea.

M62/76
I鈥檝e carried it for years and always liked it. It鈥檚 just as good as practically anything else out there.

Mr. Awesome
Yes, it鈥檚 good. I prefer the Bonded versions, but my latest LEA still issues 180gr Golden Sabers, for the issued G22鈥檚.

Registered
Not a bad round but cleaner, more accurate options out there than Remington GS. That said if you can get it in today鈥檚 climate, it鈥檚 better to have than not.

Registered
Very good its on the acceptable list...when we get in ammo crunch times like this and I want to swap out ammo I have a relatively short list of stuff id use if i can find it that makes the list. Currently im running Critical Duty before I got the Critical Duty I was running 124 grain gold dots, before that Golden Sabres.

Registered
Golden Saber is my carry round in both .40 and 9mm. Also both are very consistent grouping rounds in my Glocks. In .40, I prefer the penetration testing numbers a little better on the 165 gr than the 180 gr.

I hear their terminal experience has been/is good. However, I've never had to fire a shot in anger, so no first hand experience.

Registered
I have not shot anyone with it, thank goodness, but when the law enforcement contract in my state was held by Remington I got a case of 500 rounds. I have the non-bonded. It penetrates and fragments.

Registered
Golden Saber is still one of the best premium self-defense JHP rounds. When the ammo dearth subsides I'm hoping to find some bargain prices from outlets thinking they need to move "old" inventory at a discount. I'm partial to the bonded version but after some extensive investigation I'm sorry I sold the last of my non-bonded +P 9mm rounds to a friend. I do wonder if the standard pressure 124-grain round would be a viable low-recoil home defense load at short distance but haven't seen much info on that round's performance.

Registered
When the springfield armory professional had the ammo selected it was Remington gloden sabre in 230 grain .45acp. If that tells you anything. Its usually a very accurate round and very reliable. I think you would be good to go using it for self defense in pretty much any load. I know i would trust it.

NRA Life Member
I had some 9mm Golden Saber - most accurate 9mm ammo I have ever shot at 50 yards. It was the only ammo I could shoot decent 50-yard groups with in my Springfield Range Officer 9mm.

Reactions: pAZ Ron

Registered

Registered
Hmmmm, I got a pandemic 'deal' on some Golden Saber bonded 124gr +P ammo - was planning to sell it but after reading through this thread, I think I'm just going to hang onto it.

I usually carry Winchester Ranger T-series in .40 but that's just because I bought several boxes and haven't used it all. I've never shot anyone with it, but I'm sure it wouldn't feel so good. Same goes for the Remington.

Registered
The good news, is Remington quality control pretty much was terrible, and the Remington ammo business after the bankruptcy was sold off to I think federal, and those guys do a much better job on quality control with premium ammo. They will either bury and kill Remington ammo, or more likely, continue making it, and improve on it.

Registered
It makes the list below in 180 grain. I have not shot any in .40. I bought 500 of the Remington Golden Saber non-bonded 124 grain 9mm about two years ago from Target Sports for 32 cents a round. The HST and Gold Dot was going for twice that at the time. I have Gold Dot 180 grain in my 40 caliber pistols.

In looking through the completed GunBroker listings for quality American made hollow points, it looks like they are going for a about dollar a round for 1k quantities and up to almost two dollars a round for others. If the auction gets up to a dollar per round, you might be better off ordering from a retailer. Bone Frog Club has some 40 S&W 180GR FEDERAL PREMIUM TACTICAL HST JHP (P40HST1) in stock now for $55 per box.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts