Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
The Remington has a squared trigger guard. Obviously not a rip-off, duh...

·
Registered
13,831 Posts
I don,t know.
Other than the composite stock and rail, they both look like any other bolt gun to me.

Reactions: Sniff and catman71

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
However, probably like most of Rems lately, it'll be like dragging the action through a sandbox.
I've heard that the Marlins have been improving substantially of late. I'll find out this week when my 1894 arrives from Bud's.

Reactions: treg

·
Huge Member
11,688 Posts
I don,t know.
Other than the composite stock and rail, they both look like any other bolt gun to me.
I think the OP was pointing out that Remington pretty much just copied the specific style of the Ruger Ranch rifle, down to the color/style of the stock, short barrel, trigger, rail etc. Probably a good idea for those Remmy Fan Boys who are satisfied with the crappy Remington quality control.

The question is whether it uses an internal or detachable mag like the Ruger?

Apparently Ruger found a pretty good market with those cheap little rifles and Remmy wants a piece of the action.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the OP was pointing out that Remington pretty much just copied the specific style of the Ruger Ranch rifle, down to the color/style of the stock, short threaded barrel, trigger, rail etc. Probably a good idea for those Remmy Fan Boys who are satisfied with the crappy Remington quality control.

The question is whether it uses an internal or detachable mag like the Ruger?

Apparently Ruger found a pretty good market with those cheap little rifles and Remmy wants a piece of the action.
Pretty much, yeah and it is a detatchable box mag. I think Ruger is selling a ton, I got one when they first came out. It is one of my best rifle purchases, hiking while scouting for coyote, shooting off the bench, calling rifle, blowing up water bottles with my son......it is awesome. The stock is the weak point but for a knock around, it doesn't bother me. It will shoot multiple loads into 1/2" The pic is H335 with a 55grn Vmax and Varget with a 55grn Vmax.

upload photos

upload photos

·
Huge Member
11,688 Posts
It's on the Remington Website /// Model 783 Synthetic Heavy Barrel MSRP is $459. The regular 783 (which is their budge line) has a MSRP of $354.

The specs do not give a weight however so with a heavy barrel and metal mag etc, I suspect it is heavier than the Ruger Ranch which weighs 6lbs + or - an oz or two depending on caliber. Plus the Ruger now uses AR or AICS type mags instead of proprietary ones.

It seems to me that if you are going to make a short, compact rifle you would want it to be light.

Here's what it says.

"Custom-grade accuracy is now within reach of virtually every hunter. Building upon expertise that's dominated bolt-action technology for more than 50 years, our engineering team started from scratch and combined their most advanced, accuracy-enhancing features to create an all-new platform.

The Model 783 Heavy Barrel features a picatinny rail, SuperCell® Recoil Pad, and a flat dark earth synthetic stock that contains a high nylon fiber content, which promotes superior strength and rigidity. Also helping deliver those inherently tight groups is a precision button-rifled barrel. For shot control, it's equipped with the crisp new CrossFire™ trigger system that's user adjustable to suit your preferences.

The Model 783 features a steel detachable magazine with a steel latch. Like with all Remington bolt actions, expect a lifetime of rock-solid reliability. From the next generation in a legendary bloodline."

·
NRA Life Member
68,938 Posts
So how many years has Remington been making the 700 SPS Tactical?

I'm mainly seeing the style of scope mount as the only significant difference and that's an add-on part. I believe the SPS also came with a threaded barrel.

·
NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
670 Posts
I want a tacky ti cal Winchester 30-30 lever action after seeing this thread with a laser, and Eotech scope on a picatinny rail. Also backup iron sights at a 45 degree angle, oh the stock will have to be a folding nylon with a desert patten and a single point sling. The barrel will need to be Threaded 10” so I’ll need an SBR permit. I’ll be using it for heavy brush white tails. Anything that I missed?

Reactions: First shot

·
Huge Member
11,688 Posts
I want a tacky ti cal Winchester 30-30 lever action after seeing this thread with a laser, and Eotech scope on a picatinny rail. Also backup iron sights at a 45 degree angle, oh the stock will have to be a folding nylon with a desert patten and a single point sling. The barrel will need to be Threaded 10” so I’ll need an SBR permit. I’ll be using it for heavy brush white tails. Anything that I missed?

Well, I want a million bucks neither of which has anything to do with what, we are talking about. ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I was going to say the trigger guard looks like it is a 783, not a 700.

Mac66 best me to it.

Even more irony there as the 783 is in and of itself a ripoff of thr marlin X7. And they did that because the 770 was a travesty with almost no consumer approval.

I wanted to get an SPS Tactical a couple years ago but Remington has priced themselves out of the market with the 700. I was able to buy 2 savage hog hunters for just a few dollars more than one sps

I guess maybe that is why Remington is going to push the 783 now.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Good list. Bayonet lug and grenade launch tube capabilities would be cool on a lever deer rifle.

·
Army Vet
768 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So how many years has Remington been making the 700 SPS Tactical?

I'm mainly seeing the style of scope mount as the only significant difference and that's an add-on part. I believe the SPS also came with a threaded barrel.
I knew this would be the closest thing to their defense. Not buying it, its not even close. Just my opinion. I'd actually be tempted to buy the Remington if they chambered it in 22 Hornet or maybe 7mm-08 with an 18" barrel. I am not trying to make fun of them, it is just so blatant. If I was going to make fun of Remington I would post a pic of their handguns.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I agree. Everything has to be tactical now. Want to go dove hunting? Then your shotgun need a rail and threaded barrel......
Sad but true. Fortunately the “tactical” fad is like an angry infected boil. It’ll bust when many of its followers begin to grow up & wean themselves off of the Ritalin.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.