Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BOZWELL, Jul 25, 2005.

1. BOZWELL

BOZWELL Fine Member

Model 870 SPS-T Super Magnum Thumbhole Stock
    http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870spst_thumb.htm

Saw this at Remington's website and just wanted to know if anyone had this shotgun and what they thought of it. I've been looking for a good turkey gun since I moved and was considering tihs one.

;b

2. Dangermouse

Dangermouse

I have the one without the thumbhole stock and it's a nice gun. Holy crap do those 3 1/2 inch shells kick like a mule.

3. noway

noway

I have a thumbhole stock but it's of a boyd's design, much cheaper route if you are building a dedicated turkery/deer shotgun and more personal.

My main turkey and deer shotgun is a 870super express and all I do is change the barrel. 2 guns in one as I call it. The thumbhole stock which helps provide a solid grip like a rifle, helps out great on long shot when taking game animals like deer/hog/turkey or any non-flying-fowl or staionary animals.

I'm also working on a project 870express in the same configuration ( no need for a 3.5" chamber for what I'm doing with the gun and no need for a 3.5 supermagnum for turkey) and hope to make a dedicated 20ga slug only in the same config just for deer or hog. A std 3" magnum shell is all you need to put down a turkey, you don't need a 3.5" and the extra recoil/blast/cost unless you just want to have it.

Top barrel is a remington cantilever smoothbore barrel chamber w/3" chamber, top'd with a 4x Nikon scope. I have about 3 chokes that I interchnge based on what I'm shooting. All provide tight patterns with most loads I've used. I've only killed one tom with this gun, but it can take a turkey out upto 40yrds with most of the 1.75oz/3" stuff that Ioad in it. The patterns testing has been extremely effective. I previous had a 30" hasting wadlock barrel, that was also very good. Everything I put thru it was damm killer, I sold it a few years back to a GT'er on this sight and wish I never did. It was awkard to carry and clatter into over heard brush, but could lay down some copper-plated or plain lead shot with ease.

btw: Bottom bbl as shown mounted on shotgun is a hasting cantilever rifled barrel top with a sightron 2-7x but I've just changed this to a Leupold shotgun scope. This combo as-is, can easily take deer or turkey at ease upto 35-40 and maybe then some ( turkey) or deer out to 75-100yrds.

With the advantage of 2 bbls with cantilever mounts I can easily change the bbl and maintain zero. So if you want a good turkey gun in a remington pkg, you have alot of options ;)

4. Lawrence Keeney

Lawrence Keeney pain in the ass

That would make a hell of an Alaska last-ditch bear killer, wouldn't it?

:soap: