• Remington 870

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Mossberg 500

Votes: 23 47.9%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Making lunch
1,003 Posts
Well, 870 of course! Is there any other choice? :)

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I have one of each. Both have attributes worth considering.

·
18,373 Posts
Well, 870 of course! Is there any other choice? :)
Yes, unfortunately . if it's an older Remington wingmaster in good condition it's a fine gun but I wouldn't buy anything new that Remington makes because their quality control is bad and customer service is worse.

That's why people pay a premium for "JM" Marlins. because since Remington and Marlin was bought out by "The Freedom Group" (Cerberus Capital Management) the guns they make are sub-standard at best.

I'll take a new Mossberg over a new Remington any day of the week

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are about the same these days. It used to be 870 shotguns used to be clearly better. Now that they have incorporated plastic trigger guards too it really is going to be a model by model comparison. Base model vs base model they are the same. I think though Remington Wingmasters just don't have a similar model in Mossberg. At least last time I looked hard at buying a shotgun.

Being left handed I prefer mossbergs but remingtons are fine too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I own two 870s and am pleased with both. I have only owned one Mossberg shotgun, and when it gave me issues their customer service was terrible. I wouldn't buy from them again. Remington also currently has a rebate that will save you some $.

·
Just sayin'
4,639 Posts
Mossberg 300 Persuader tactical shotgun. Got it set up with a Sure Fire weapon light forend, side saddle shot carrier, and sling. Awesome piece of kit.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I also like that the Mossberg lifter stows up rather than down. Dual extractor bolt and 2 action bars on the Moss as well. The Moss 500/590/Maverick lifters can easily pop out (and jam the gun) if dropped on its side with the safety on though. I haven't decided how I feel about that lifter issue.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Get a pre-80's 870 Wingmaster with a 3" chamber. By far better than any Mossberg 500 and current 870's.

I have both. The 870 is 50+ years old and the better gun.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Among older models, they're both excellent. The current production 870 Express models have been a bit troublesome, particularly with regard to sticky chambers. Still a decent shotgun, but Remington has done their best to cut costs on the Express models as much as possible. If you're going to go 870, go 870 Police or Wingmaster and you'll be getting a better gun than the Express. An Express can be improved aftermarket with polishing and some parts replacement, but you're better off starting with a better grade.

In my view, and as mentioned above, the Mossberg 500 or 590 has a better feature set:

-Lifter stays up and out of the way, makes it easier to load more shells into the magazine
-Tang mounted safety is quick and easy to see and to operate
-Dual extractors; always better than one (two is one, one is none)

I've never had a jam or functional problem with my very well used 500.

That said, an 870 Police model is still an excellent shotgun, as is the Mossberg. I have several samples of each and I like them all, but something about the Mossberg 500 just feels totally "right". I also prefer the look and the feel of wood furniture. My 500 received a swap of polymer furniture for wood. My 870 Police and Winchester 1300 Defender came with walnut. I do love the old school look on a shotgun.

Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 Police model will serve you very well. Pick which ever one has the feature set that you like better.

Reactions: vba

·
Resident Misanthrope
463 Posts
I have a 20 year old Mossberg 500 that came with ghost ring sights from the factory. It's one of the better Mossbergs I have seen. I used it for a work gun for about 4 years. It is now a home defense gun.

I also have a 23 year old Remington 870 with rifle sights that has been abused as a work gun and it has been in service for the entire time. I have had it for at least 15 years.

Of the 2 the 870 is far better made and has many years of service left in it. It is a Police Magnum. It's no longer pretty but it keeps on ticking through the dust dirt, vibration, and inevitable dings. I have laid the front sight over at least twice from impacts.

The 870 is a little easier to work on and you can change out the magazine spring without removing the whole tube unlike the mossy.

For the price the 500 has done very well and has a lot more rounds through it than the 870 and is doing just fine. But you can feel a difference in the quality. I did put a new set of Magpul furniture on it and I like more than I did before.

I have confidence in both of them.

·
Lobster hunter
281 Posts
If you're considering a Mossberg, you need to take a look at the 590A1. Preferably with 18.5" barrel (more handy than the 20" IMHO) and rifle front sight/ghost ring rear sight. It's a very different animal than the Mossy 500. I've owned an old Remington 870 Police Wingmaster and it definitely had a sweet action, but the 590A1 has better ergonomics and it's built like a tank.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mossberg's are ok but I've went whole hog 870 and have 5 of them --3 12's and 2 20's-----each is very different from the other from Wingmaster to SuperMag to Youth model

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The 870 is a great shotgun, no doubt. But the design of the Mossberg is superior in numerous ways. Good thing is that whichever one you pick, you're going to get a shotgun that will serve you well. If you go with the cheapened Express, you may need chamber polishing, but aside from that, you'll likely do ok either way.

If you're really into pump shotguns, pick up a Mossy AND a Remy!

Then, once you've settled in with those... there's the Remington Versamax Tactical and the Beretta 1301 Tactical awaiting! :dancingbanana:YEAH baby! :cheerleader:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I own for 870s so I know you can't go wrong there. Can't comment on the Mossberg

·
Registered
30,233 Posts
I have them both, along with Winchester and Ithaca.

I'm not a big shotgun user or expert, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

·
M62/76
12,359 Posts
To echo other posters on this thread, I wouldn't own anything Rem makes these days plain and simple. Unless you can get your hands on an older 870, stick with Mossberg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts