1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Huge Member
11,252 Posts
I have both, why do I have to chose?

·
****** Viejo
29,265 Posts
It depends. Old Wing-master or new MIM 870 vs Mossberg? tom.

Reactions: badge315

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you want to put a pistol grip on it, go with the remington. The Mossberg 500's action release lever is near impossible to use with a pistol grip on it.

If you only intend to use a shoulder stock, then get the Mossberg 500. Another plus is the 500 has dual extractors, if that matters to you.

Not sure of Remington sells one, but you can get a 500 combo that comes with an 18.5" barrell and a 28" barrell in the same package.

·
Registered
25,452 Posts
The day I went to buy a shotgun the 870 was in stock and on sale -

So I bought it -

If the Mossberg would have been available and on sale I would have bought it.

Not sure what I would have done if both were available & on sale.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one - or even a Pardner.

I do think the Remington Versa Max is a better gun compared to 930 SPX so in a way I am glad I got the 870 & Versa Max.

I replaced the mim extractor with a machined one - IIRC it was about $12 -

I never had a problem with the mim extractor - and think the worry over it is over blown - but I still replaced it - so do as I say or do as I do.

Reactions: GP4L

·
NRA Benefactor
5,450 Posts
Big 5 puts both combos on sale quite often. I like the weight of the 870 as well as the barrels available though sometimes pricey.

The Mossberg 500 is less expensive and for a time in the past only offered one transfer bar when the 870 offered two.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I got a used 870 wingmaster at a gun show for $200 a few years ago. Seemed like a good deal.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Do you like Ford or Chevy (or from my Germany days Mercedes or BMW)? Either is a good gun. I personally prefer the Mossberg due to the location of the safety being right under my right thumb. My son has the Maverick version of the Mossberg which has the Remington style safety and his wife has an 870. Hold both, shoot both and decide which is for you. You can not go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I also have both. I have an older WingMaster (early 60's) and a late 80's 500. The WingMaster is a much better gun.

·
JAFO
4,590 Posts
If I wasn't issued a Remington I would own a Mossberg. Better loading port design, better safety design, better magazine capacity without any headaches and better sights that's Remington's rifle sights.
^^This^^ The (logical) safety design and extractor sold me on it. I was issued one in 2000 and still carry it.

·
Super Moderator
3,783 Posts
My Mossberg and 870 Pumps mostly sit in the rack. The Nova, P12 and BPS get to play a lot more.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts