close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington 799 in 7.62x39

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Gary7, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Gary7

Gary7

CDNN is clearing out their stock of Remington 798 and 799 bolt action rifles at really good prices, so I ordered a 799 yesterday in 7.62x39. These rifles have intrigued me ever since I first read about them. The 798 is for the most part a pure Mauser 98 and is available in calibers from 243 to 458. The 799 "Mini Mauser" is a modified 98 action and is available in 22 Hornet up to 7.62x39. These rifles were made by Zastava in Serbia.

The primary difference between the 798 and 799 is in the bolt: the 799 has a recessed bolt face and a Weatherby type extractor rather than the full-length, non-rotating claw extractor of a typical controlled feed Mauser 98 action. On the 799 bolt, a full-length stabilizing rib takes the place of the full-length extractor. Thus, what you have with the 799 is basically a push feed Mauser action.

These same basic guns had been imported by Interarms at one time as the Mark X, and then later by Charles Daly. The fit and finish on the Remington guns is supposed to be superior to either of these imports. That may be because Remington, rather than importing finished rifles from Zastava, only imported the barreled actions. The stocks were fitted and final finishing done at the Remington plant in Kentucky.

Here is a pic of a 799 in 7.62x39 I found on the 'Net. I'll post photos of mine when it gets here.

[​IMG]

2. TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper

I looked on there catalog and didn't see them listed. I am interested in one for a 6.5Grendel if the price is right.

3. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I wonder what the bore diameter is; .308" or .311" ?

I hope it works well for you.

A long time ago, I thought a 7.62x39 would work well in a T/C Contender. It would have to be a true .308 dia bore and I'd only use good American brass with Hornady & Sierra bullets (none of the Russian or Chinese surplus crap would ever touch it). T/C already had the 30-30 Winchester available. In 1995 got an Armor Alloy II, Super 14" and put a Leupold 2X Long Eye Relief scope. I started loading spitzer bullets and getting better performance out of the 30-30. The Hornady 110 gr VMax with IMR 3031 was a coyote killing machine.

4. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

5. Gary7

Gary7

$389.99

They aren't listed in the CDNN catalog. I got an e-mail from them notifying me of the clearance sale back in January.

Here's a side-by-side photo showing both the 798 and 799 actions:

[​IMG]

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I have an Interarms Mark X .223

I was surprised to read about the fit and finish comments above. My stock is absolutely beautiful.

However, the action binds some when working the bolt. It is accurate, with 1" groups. But slow to work the bolt. Since it is just a woodchuck gun, I'm keeping it. I've had it for 20 years or so. It is very light, and a joy to carry around in the field.

7. Gary7

Gary7

From what I've read, it's inside the stock on the Mark X and Daly guns that leaves much to be desired, i.e., the inletting of the wood and the proper fitting and bedding of the action and barrel. This is why Remington chose to do that here using American made S&K stocks. It's also why the 798 and 799 retailed for more than the Daly rifles--though they can now be purchased on clearance for much less than the MSRP.

8. Gary7

Gary7

The bore is .311, which is what it should be for 7.62x39 ammo that is made to spec. The twist is 1 in 9.5.

9. ctaggart

ctaggart

That would make an awesome deer rifle for my GF. Hmmm.

10. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

A good friend bought an Interarms Mk X "Mini Mauser" action years ago, and had a gunsmith friend build him a really tack driving .223 w/ a 1:9 twist barrel, in a Fajen thumbhole stock.
    This rifle shoots really well with everything up to and including 69 gr bullets.

Bass Pro had a sale last year on their Remington 799 for $399 + tx.
    I picked up one.
    The fit and finish on the rifle is really good. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet.

11. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Nice looking gun you have there------I have always been intrigued by these Remington 798's and 799's.

12. Bret

Bret Crimping Master

I just ordered one from CDNN and picked it up yesterday. It's a nice rifle overall. The short 20" barrel and the lightness make it pretty easy to swing around. The bluing looks great as does the stock. When cycling the action, it's a little tight in a couple of spots. Hopefully it'll loosen up after I shoot it.
    [​IMG]

I did find one thing that bothers me though. The barrel is free floated, but as it sits in the stock it's way off to the left.
    [​IMG]
    It's kind of hard to photograph, but there is almost no gap on the left side of the barrel and quite a big gap on the right side. Not only does it look bad, but I'm worried that the barrel will contact the left side of the stock when shooting. I can get a $1 through, but it drags. This is my first commercial bolt action rifle. Is this type of fit normal and something I should have expected, or should I send it back to Remington to be adjusted?

13. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Relax. Just sand it till it clears, and touch up with a little finish. :supergrin: