Remington 7600 - One rifle to rule them all - suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Aceman, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MNBud

MNBud

Our shop just sold a 7600 in 270 with a 3-9 power scope. There was a small bidding war but nothing drastic.$558.00 in like new condition.

2. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

200 grains make a difference in bear country...especially in Alaska or the Northern Rockies. Don't get me wrong, the .308 is a great military/police cartridge, but the ought-six excels as a hunting round. I believe it makes the ideal gaming cartridge for the North American continent.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I disagree. Living in bear country (AK), having used 220's and 240's in AK. I've never seen any sort of performance difference between a good 180 grain bullet like the Partition, North Fork, TSX, Trophy Bonded, or GMX.

Its also worth noting, that the 200, 220, and 240 loadings, have almost all gone away completely. I assure you, it isn't because they're highly sought after.

Bullet diameter, has a bigger impact on game performance, and a couple of grains of weight or feet per second.

The 06 is a fine caliber. I own a couple, but there is no realistic hunting situation where a 30-06 will cleanly kill an animal that a 308 won't.

Its like arguing the difference between the 300 WSM and the 300 Win-Mag.

Kentucky Shooter and Blackshirt like this.
  4. Aceman

Aceman

Agreed - we are really splitting hairs performance -ise.

A good hand loader will be able to juice an 06 to better levels all around than a .308. But we are really talking minor range differences here. Not practical stopping etyc (although the 200-340 does make a certain…statement)

5. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

"Ease of Finding Ammo".?????

Common calibers are only easy to find ammo for, when this is no shortage. When a shortage/panic occurs, the most common calibers dry up first and the shortage lasts the longest. During a mass shortage, there will be plenty of 32 Winchester Special and 8mm Remington Magnum on the shelves.

Tony

6. Aceman

Aceman

Average 06 hunter is NOT a psycho prepper ammo horder.

Those guys all have .mil weapons.

But yes - always good to have a 'slightly' off caliber as well. Deep, then wide, deeper then wider…

7. Aceman

Aceman

So an update! I was googling some things and tripped across this thread!!!!

I got the 7600 Carbine, black Synth stock, in 30-06!!!

I have had a Vortex 3-12x on it for quite a while. However, the LPVO market has exploded lately! So I'm swapping that scope out - which was great - to a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x with mil.dot reticule.

Also got my Triple K 10rd mag

And finally - using Hornady Custom light 126g as my go to ammo.

Super Happy with this gun!!!!

badge315 likes this.
  8. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

One suggestion. Before shooting it for the first time. Be sure to check that the barrel assembly is torqued.
    I yad a 7600 that "shot loose" because the factory did not torque it properly.

If used the previous owner may have disassembled it.

9. geodan

geodan

My vote is 30-06. If you reload you can dial it down to light recoil loads that still hit plenty hard. And if you need to dial it up, 06 gives a lot more flexibility than 308.

10. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Solid deer gun.

One option, which I'd seriously consider if I lived in Alaska where the big bears and moose hang out, is 'upgrading' the chambering to .35 Whelen with a simple re-barrelling job. :wow:

Yeah, there'd be the cost of the replacement tube and the 'smith's install time, ... but hey, come next season's deer camp, you'd really have something to impress the Fudds with.

:thumbsup:

OttoLoader likes this.
  11. tom mac

tom mac

Got an older version 742 in 30-06.
    Great gun, still shoot well and no issues yet with the rails like many others.
    Trick is to keep the chamber very clean and lubed

12. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

220gn .30-06 versus 250gn .35 Whelen. The .35-cal cartridges kill the big bad stuff right now.

Not too long ago in an issue of Handloader magazine, John Barness wrote long and hard about the ballistic phenomena of the .35-cals. He said they kill big game disproportionately fast and sure.

But for most lower-48 hunting, there's nothing wrong with the .30-06.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I was about to say the same. I always choose .308 or .30-06. Equal range and power, but more variety of ammo more readily available and likely to stay that way for a while.

14. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

That's a good choice but if I were getting another hunting rifle (.270), I'd get this one. I've always loved the lines and accuracy of these rifles. A buddy of mine has one, an old one that his Dad gave him, most likely late '60s vintage. I've shot it several times and it is supremely accurate. I know, it's a lot of $$$ but I get all warm inside when I see one.

15. Aceman

Aceman

A .270 is definitely on the Bolt action wish list.

agtman likes this.
  16. dbuck47

dbuck47

I think your original idea is spot on if you are settled on the 7600.

The .308 and .30/06 are for most applications interchangeable, but from what I understand the ‘06 will handle a slightly heavier bullet. I have never tested this, although I have shot both a good bit, I have always used 150-180 in either. With a 150 grain bullet, going with a carbine will essentially turn the’06 into a .308 anyway. The only reason I prefer the.308 is that it saves a couple ounces and makes the gun a little shorter in a 700.

The rig back in 70’s- 80’s in my neck of the woods was a 742/760/7400/7600 with a 3-9 Redfield and “ see through “ mounts. My dad had a hardware store that sold guns and we sold bunches with that setup; I would say 70% .30/06.

The Leupold 2-7 is a little slimmer than the 3-9 and if I was setting up a sleek little bolt gun, that is what I would pick, but I think I would just put a 3-9 on the 7600 and call it done. Might even try to find some of those see through mounts.

17. razorbacker

razorbacker

I like and have owned the 7600/7400 series for hunting rifles. They are a little on the heavy side but what always bugged me about 7600's is the loose rattle of the forearm. I've handlesd several and every one has that rattle from the action bar attached to the fore stock.

18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

The Remington 760-7600 was the greatest hunting rifle ever made, but sadly underappreciated by the shooting public and the hunting community outside of those that have used them and knew how good they were.

It was as accurate as a bolt action but faster on repeat shots than a lever action and almost as fast as a semi-auto especially if you were used to shooting a Remington 870 pump. I had a 760 Gamemaster 30-06 made in the late 1950s and I loved it but finances (new wife and baby) forced me to sell it. I didn't have any problems mounting a scope on it.

I wouldn't recommend getting a new one or even a newer one made by Remington since the company was taken over in 2007. Find a used one in good condition and you'll get a good gun. I've always had good luck finding guns on gunbroker as long as I took the time to find the best deal.

Both the 760 and the 7600's were made as carbines with 18 1/2 inch barrels and I would have liked to have had one of those. I also would have liked to have had one in 280 Remington caliber because I was always a big fan of the 7mm's.