remington 700 which caliber?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by taczac23, Mar 22, 2010.

1. taczac23

taczac23

I m buying a Remington 700 and need to make 2 chooses first which caliber .308 or .300 and which barrel length 26" or 20" I m going to use this rifle for anything you could use a scoped rifle for hunting, target shooting, just whatever ect can you guys help me with any ideas <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. porkchop817

porkchop817

Go with the 20" .308 and never look back :cool:

In my experience, the ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

It will kill just about anything you need it to, when it comes to hunting purposes (maybe I am over looking a species here?)

Use it for target shooting out as far is you want, within reason, of course...here are some shots at 1000 yards with an 18" barrel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I&feature=related

Get plenty of trigger time with the .308, and a few years from now if you decide you are so proficient with it that you need to reach out further than 1000 yards, THEN I would say look for something bigger.

3. taczac23

taczac23

Thanks man I wasn&#8217;t sure if the 20" barrel would reach out and touch something that far away that&#8217;s kind of why I didn&#8217;t go with that right away but will after that video lol<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

4. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

24 in 308...........................................:wavey:

5. porkchop817

porkchop817

I have a 20" 308 that i've been building up over the past year...started with an off the shelf remington 700 sps tactical w/ 20" barrel. Gimme a sec and I'll post some pics and what not.

6. porkchop817

porkchop817

[​IMG]

Rem 700 SPS Tactical
    Manners T2A stock
    Badger Ordinance M5 Bottom Metal w/ 10rd mag
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
    Harris 6"-9" Bipod
    TIS M24 Sling

This place is a great wealth of knowledge, but I would also check out

snipercentral.com and snipershide.com

You can go here to read some of Mel's reviews on various rifles: http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

Same thing for the scopes:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm

and finally, a good article on why shorter barrels maybe be better on a precision rifle:
    http://www.tacticaloperations.com/swatdec2000/index.html

Hope that helps :wavey:

7. triehl27

triehl27

Go with the 20" 308,

I have the Rem SPS tactical $469, and i love it, I have changed the stock $200, and gone back to the old style trigger $50. Added Leupold Base and Rings $36 and a 10X Bushnell $129.

Eggs and Lollipops out to 500 - 700yds.

1 Kill to it, Coyote at 430yds after it had carried off a neighbor's chicken. 2 shots, one for ranging, and one hit, behind the ear.

I originally had put aside alot more $ for this project, the Leupold Mount, rings and Bushnell 3200 10X was just to "Get me by" till the custom Glass came in. Custom Glass kept getting delayed so I cancelled my order and stayed with the Bushnell I had it on, and I couldn't be happier. Saved close to a grand over the custom glass.

8. taczac23

taczac23

porkchop817 that is one sexy rifle I really want that 10 rd mag on mine how do you do that I was going to buy mine from OMB guns it&#8217;s all black with a parkerized barrel bi pod and scope already on it for the 20" barrel and the chambered in .308 they want $850 what do you guys think<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

9. jp3975

jp3975

.308 20"

You wont gain anything with a 26"

Though it will weigh more and be harder to move around in a stand.

snipercentral is a great source of info as was earlier mentioned.

Dont forget to put a decent scope on it. Zeiss or Nightforce are great if you can afford them. Maybe a Nikon if you want a cheaper one.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

.308 and 20" barrel. 26 adds nothing but size and weight and .308, being a popular competition/police/military caliber, has all sorts of ammo and accessories available, scopes amrked and measured for it, etc.

11. chuckman

chuckman

I am preferential to 24" barrel, but nothing wrong with 20". .308 is good to go.

12. chuckman

chuckman

Nice scope! Me want....

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Nice looking rifle!!

Not sure of all of the specs, but, that looks and sounds a lot like the 'proposed' or 'upcoming' M40-A5 that the Marines are going to adopt.

Again. . . verrrrrrrrrry nice looking rifle!

14. BuckeyeBlast

BuckeyeBlast

Another vote for 20 - 308 as I've been doing some research and that's what I've decided on for myself.

15. Ghost361

Ghost361

Agreed with all on the 20" 308. If you want a sweet glass you can pick up the Leupold CDS system for about 500.00. The cool thing is you get a turret matched to the bullet you are shooting and all you have to do is turn the dial to the indicated range and press the trigger. I have their M2 and M3 dials and they work great. Also the new remmys come with the adjustable triggers. Mine is set to break at about 3 1/2 pounds and is super crisp.

16. Brucev

Brucev

Buy a Rem. 700 tactical rifle w/ a stiff 20" barrel in .308 Winchester. Put a good bi-pod on the rifle. Put a quality scope on top... I'd use a Leupold. Forget about find cross hairs and dots and lighted aiming points, etc. If you really anticipate shooting at long range, then buy a scope suited for that shooting. But buy a scope with cross-hairs heavy enough that you can see them on the target when you need to fire and get a hit. Get good ammunition and establish a solid zero. Then get out in the field and learn to shoot to the potential of your rifle.

17. rscottk90

rscottk90

ill put out my opinion on tht gun. Get one if u can get a older one cause the new trigger blow. I sold mine cause of the trigger, not wanting to do a trigger job. If u get a savage u can get one with the accutrigger its a awesome tigger for stock.

18. chuckman

chuckman

Leupold is great, but so are about half a dozen others. I would echo about getting optics with the 'right' reticle. If you are serious about long distance shooting, get a mil-dot reticle. My opinion.

19. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

20 inch .308 is the name of the game, I guess.

20. alexanderg23

alexanderg23