close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical: Bad Chamber

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TrooperBrian, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

After waiting a month for my new Nightforce, I discover that my chamber is reamed .148" deeper than it should be. And the entire action actually CLOSES on a No-Go gauge.

I've managed to get a hold of someone at Remington and they agreed to fix the problem. My question is, has anyone else had anything like this before?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. d-rex

d-rex Palin/D-rex '12

wow, thanks for sharing but no, my sps in 7mm-08 is a sweetheart, i've never had chamber issues in any factory rifle, only thing i've ever seen anything like that in is mausers and the like that people screwed with.

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

That sucks, how did you discover it was cut too deap.

4. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

Well a normal load at Max 2.800" COAL fits in the magazine. But after trying to develop some loads with a Hornady LNL OAL Gauge, a load .005" off the lands is .143" longer than the max COAL.

Meaning its .148" too long, and closing on a No-Go gauge..definite no no.

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

700's typically have a LOT of freebore. If I'm understanding you right, what you are encountering is not a headspace issue... just a lot of leade / freebore. Load 'em at 2.800" and fire away. I doubt you'll see any accuracy issues if you find the powder charge it likes.

6. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Don't confuse the COAL with headspace. They are not the same. Any rifle I own will accept a cartridge in the chamber longer than the magazine will.

The fact that you can get a No-Go headspace gauge in the chamber is a bad deal. Send it back for them to fix.

7. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

I suppose that's what I'm trying to figure out, I don't have a much of an issue with the freebore, I can always just single-feed rounds.

Our gunsmith cringed when he was able to smoothly close the bolt over the No-Go.

8. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

Thank you for confriming Remington's crappy QC and giving one of the new savages more leverage over the rems. in my next purchase....

Alex

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Must be a monday-friday rifle. There is no way in hell a rifle like that should slip through QC. Goodl uck getting it fixed, I hope the new barrel shoots well.

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

in general there is nothign wrong with remingtons hounddog ..

and as you see they are willing to fix what they do make bad ..

savages are the roughest firearms ive ever dealt with .. sure they shoot good, but most look like crap

11. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

I prefer rifles that have a long lead as it lets you seat the bullet out further but if a NO GO gauge closes that is a headspace problem and needs to be corrected.

12. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

It would be interesting to have a gunsmith do a chamber casting to see how big it actually is.

13. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Zombie Steve is right. I have read numerous Internet Reports of such long throats, approaching freebore, in Remington rifles. Some are so long you can't touch the lands and seat the bullet both at the same time. The rifles seem to shoot pretty accurately anyhow. How does yours do?

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'm curious as to whether it would close on a field gage too. If it did, that is majorly bad ju ju.

15. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

At 2.800" I managed to get a three shot .62" group at 100 from prone. And while it could be better, I would rather be able to magazine feed the rifle.

Its no reason to buy Savage over Remington, every factory makes mistakes. And the reason that there are millions more Remington 700s than there are Savages or any other rifle.

16. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

I don't think it is a mistake in the sense that a machine operator ran a reamer in too deep. It is probably company policy to throat long so as to discourage handloaders from seating into the lands. That is a mistake in the eye of the proficient enthusiast but their lawyers are more concerned about the beginner who has uncritically read too many Internet Experts and jumps in with a maximum load and the bullet jammed into the leade.

17. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I have always been a Remington guy, way back from the 721/722 era, and always poo-poo'd Savage as a cheap also-ran.

But after the last couple of years, I am more and more impressed with Savage and less and less satisfied with what I see coming from Remington.

Looking at their respective models and catalogs, Remington seems to be run by accountants and lawyers these days, and Savage by shooters.

Remington has a good reputation, and it was deserved. But they are rapidly squandering that rep, and need to get their act back together, both in terms of their range of product offerings, and their quality.

If Savage could just develop a good trigger that did not need that horrid external safety-blade to be safe, they'd have it all over Remington right now, in terms of out-of-the-box product shootability.

I really hate to see a grand old American gun company like Remington decline into mediocrity, but there it is....

-ET

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'd go with the gauge on this. Send it back.

ETA; Is it a .308?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  19. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Remington has been building shoddy products for many a year. Just look at their current production rifles and shotguns for example. They have cheapened the 870 and 700 and made rifles like the 710 that people who are not up to speed with everything buy them at wallworld thinking that they are the legendary 700. They make rimfire rifles that owners can't even shoot safely so why is it a surprise that they cannot drill a chamber properly?

What happened to the 870 wingmaster 740 and 760 rifles that were accurate and dependable? 700s that had some honest blueing instead of the Krylon that they use now?

20. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

If the head space is really that excessive (0.148"), I'd expect:

1) Firing pin would not fire cartridges --just shove them deeper into chamber. Remington 700 does not have a Mauser claw extractor to hold the round against the boltface under the blow of the firing pin, and I'm not sure the little Remington hook extractor would do so.

2) If the Remington extractor did secure the base of the cartridge enough for the firing pin to detonate the primer, I'd expect that the fired cases would be fire-formed to the grossly larger chamber, and you'd see this easily -- shoulder blown visibly forward, and a little short neck.

3) Or there would be overt head separation. Is there incipient head separation? (That is, does a thin spot form inside the case near the head? If yes, it can be "felt" using a wire probe, like a straightened paperclip with a little bend near the end?)

If your are not seeing these issues, the excess headspace can't be so great.

You said the bolt closes on a no-go gauge. Did your 'smith try a field gauge?

-ET