Remington 700 SPS or Ruger American Preadtor

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ede, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ede

ede

I'm wanting a .223 caliber bolt action and have decided on one of these two. Ruger is cheaper and I prefer Rugers but no experience with the American series. I like to looks of the Remington 700 SPS a lot more. I have been shooting Ruger 77s, Hawkeyes. and #1s since the late 70s. My only Remington was a 700 in early 70s. From a performance perspective what is going to be the more accurate rifle?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

If this question had been posed a few years ago, I would have said Remington.

But most people are in agreement that Remington has suffered a significant decline in quality control over the past 8 or so years. One example to document is their massive recall on all rifles equipped with the x-mark triggers, which to my knowledge was on all their centerfire rifles.

Long story short, I recommend the Ruger among these two rifles. Their American series has been a smash hit for anyone needing a good all around rifle with 1MOA to 1.5MOA accuracy.

If you want the stock, out of the box rifle with the best chance to produce sub MOA accuracy in this price range, you might want to include Savage in your list of options. The Savage model called the trophy hunter or some such name with accu trigger and Nikon or Weaver scope already in place are a really nice accurate package.

Best of luck.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

edited :)

4. ede

ede

I meant .22 centerfire, .223 think I fat fingered the key and didn't hit the "3". I have an Ruger American in .17 HMR, two 77/22s in .22lr, and CZ 452 and 455 in .22lr plus a couple 5 or 6 10/22s. I just bought the Ruger in .223 and ordered a Weaver scope for it. Friend at work told me if it doesn't work out and I don't like it he's willing to give me 100$ for it sight unseen.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Oh, I'm sorry, that changes everything. Looking forward to a review of your new Ruger when you get it scoped and a chance to shoot it :)

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Ruger for sure. I wouldn't buy a new Remington with someone else's money.

The .223 American I had cut to 16" and crowned would do 1/2 MOA with heavy Sierra Matchkings, should have kept it.

7. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

I look into a CZ 527 myself that is #3 on my list right now. Remington wouldn't make that list regardless.

8. Planetcat

Planetcat

I sold my son's 700 sps last year for a Ruger American. The SPS was a POS and way overpriced (he's a lefty). Sloppy bolt and poor feeding make for a bad hunting rifle. The RAR is not what I would call a premium rifle, but it shoots pretty good and IMO, is better constructed than the Remington. That is my last Remington product ever, unless I win the Lotto, buy the company, fire all the newer employees and execs, get new material suppliers, and change the crappy manufacturing and quality control practices, and give Marlin back to Marlin.

For the price of an SPS, you can get a Tikka T3 (last year's model, not the T3x). That rifle is twice the rifle of the other two combined.