close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington 700 BDL for long range?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by iweb, Jan 10, 2010.

1. iweb

iweb

I am thinking of getting into some long range target shooting. I found a Remington 700 BDL in .338 Ultramag and has a BSA Cateye scope for $850.

Is this a good gun for long range shooting? What about the .338 Ultramag or should I look for a .300 Win Mag? How does .338 Ultramag differ from .338 Lapua?

And is that scope any good? All the info that I have.

Thanks.

2. 1sharpedge

1sharpedge

The 700BDL is a good choice but the BSA scope is just a $100 scope that according to gunblast.com is a good value. Dont have any knowledge of the .338

3. iweb

iweb

I did some research on the .338 after posting and I think I have the needed info on .338 and the scope. Thanks.

4. mboylan

mboylan

The scope is crap and unsuitable for long range. Not very suitable for short range either. For long range, 300 yards or more, you will spend at least $500, and most likely closer to $1000 for the scope. Good optics are critical at long range.

If you are talking about a stock BDL not a Sendero or anything heavy, that cartridge is really going to hurt after more than a few shots. The .300 Win Mag will hurt less from a rest. It is still nothing you want to shoot many rounds from a rest with a light rifle.

A standard weight BDL is a very accurate hunting rifle. The cartridge you are choosing is for long range shots at bear, moose and elk. In a really heavy rifle, it could be a good sniper cartridge. It would not be my choice to take out to the range and spend an afternoon sniping with in a hunting rifle. Maybe you should look at a 700 Sendero or something 2-3 pounds heavier than that BDL.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. farley45

farley45

Rem. 700s are fine bolt action rifles IMO.

6. a_tack

a_tack

Look for a heavier rifle. I have a 700 BDL in 7mm mag and it isnt the most pleasant thing in the world to shoot at the range. I would imagine .338 probably recoils harder.

7. mboylan

mboylan

Two to three times harder. The .338 RUM kicks harder and sharper than a .375 Holland and Holland Magnum. That's a low level elephant gun.

I have a 700 Classic LE in .300 Holland & Holland Magnum. I don't mind shooting it a bit. Just not more than a box or so at a time. I would not want to shoot a BDL in .338 RUM at all.

.338 Lapua, .340 Weatherby and .338 RUM are ballisticly similar. However, .338 Lapua sniper rifles weigh almost twice as much as that BDL.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. Minnow

Minnow

That's gonna be one sharp recoiling SOB! With that said my BDL .300 Win Mag is a tack driver, but I wouldn't want to shoot it for extended range sessions. I'd pick another caliber for your purpose.

9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

If it had a decent scope, this would make a good hunting rifle, but not a target rifle unless you are willing to take a beating. Oh, it will do the job on long range targets and is probably going to be very accurate and definitely have long range reach, but its gonna beat the crap out of your shoulder AND your wallet. This is too light a rifle to absord this much recoil----the .338RUM is a significant step up from the .338Win Mag. I think a check of the reloading manuals will say it burns around 100 grains give or take of powders like 4831, which is a heck of a lot compared to 75 grains in the .338 Win Mag or 58 grains or so in a 270Win or 30-06. If you reload you are going to run through powder very quickly. You also need to price the .338 bullets in 225 or 250 grain. If you are not a reloader and are still unconvinced, then price some factory ammo. :wow: If you have never shot anything like this before, you really need to pull the trigger on something in this class to see if this is what you really want.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010