Remington 597 or Savage 64

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Adam5, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Adam5

Adam5

I need quick opions on these. The Savage is not an accutrigger model. The rifle is for my 14 year old daughters birthday.

2. oldfort

oldfort

I don't know about a Savage Mod 64. I have a a Rem 597 in .22Mag that my son gave me when I retired in 1999. It has been outstanding and super accurate. I can also recommend the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin Mod 60.

If you can find one right, the old Rem Nylon 66's are maybe one of the best kid guns and a good investment. I have several, but I started picking them up at $60. I have never seen one miss a shell. My grandkids love to shoot blue rock off of the berm behind the range targets with them after shooting at targets with the bolts. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

3. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I am fully in the 597 hater category.
    I would not ever buy another one after my LSS debacle.

Mayhaps you should look into a Bolt gun.
    Something like the Marlin M25. On the other hand, a lever action can be fun as hell.
    You get that nice mechanical sound whilst ejecting and loading rounds.

Young shooters will be more inclined to develop actual marksmanship skills, than just burning through magazine after magazine in a semi.

4. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

I have a Remington 597 in .22LR , combo gun from Dick's with a 3-9x38 scope for like $199.99 and I like it very very much. Am just about to order the $20 Volquartsen extractor and the $40 Volquartsen target hammer which I understand will completely revolutionize the gun and make a big difference, and combined with the scope I got for cheap, it's a great fun shooter.

I also have a Savage Mark II "GXP" combo from Dick's which is the Bolt action rather than the semi (they had both on sale, both with 3-9x40 scopes , cost $200 sale $150, I am told now the sale is done and its a 4x scope that you get) but I love the Savage separate but equal.. I just wanted a synthetic stock semi, and a separate wood stock bolt, which I got both... and I love them both, you will be well served with either.

5. Adam5

Adam5

I ended up getting the 597 combo from Dicks for $179. For now I wanted the lighter composite stock. Next time I have a few dollars I may get the Savage.

6. carloglock19

carloglock19

I bought my son the 597 w/scope combo from Dicks as well for his 12th earlier this year. He's got 2000rds through it. We shoot CCI Blazers mainly and we get a failure to fire out of each box of 50 every time which isn't bad (ammo issue). 555 bulk works just as well but it didn't like Winchester HP had multiple failures to feed. Enjoy the your rifle!

7. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I have an alternate thought on this.......

There is NOTHING more fun than burning through magazine after magazine of 22 ammo.......the kids absolutely love this kind of shooting.

Yes, you are right that this doesn't help develop marksmanship skills. However, it is just as easy to get those skills with an automatic vs bolt/lever rifles. It's all a matter of the inspiration to succeed.....at any given time.

hog

8. ScrappyDoo

Yeah my 597 will not shoot anything Remington suprisngly... Golden bullet is not even worth the time spent loading the mags IMHO , thunder bolts are basically at least 1 of 10 rds a problem... And other bulk/ values do pretty good. If I shoot CCI through it it's a mini sniper rifle.

The Savage shoots anything but shows better shots with high quality ammo , and my 15-22 has never had a single problem.

I'd like to put a bipod on the 597 but it looks like Harris is 70-100 bucks minimum ?

9. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Get yourself a good bipod. Once you've spent the money, that becomes a non-issue.......quality is forever! Remember, that bipod will transfer to ALL your rifles and pistols that have the forward sling stud........

[​IMG]

10. carloglock19

carloglock19

I forgot to mention a few tips to cut down on malfunctions: makes sure that you don't over tighten the 2 small allan screws that hold the guide/spring rods in place and wipe off the mags prior to reloading .22 are dirty little rounds. I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything yet maybe a bypod in the future. Enjoy your accurate little plinker!

11. ScrappyDoo

Is that right? I can plug and play the bipod between rifles, because the Savage actually came factory with sling studs installed, and I have a sling on it now but that's it... The Remington came with nothing but a circle sketched out on the stock, and I actually figured I would have to have the gunsmith install the bipod and was going to ask for sling studs to be installed when he did it, just for the hell of it, to add a sling on the 597 just on general principle. But if I could then take the bipod and put it on and off the 597 and the Savage that would be very very helpful!

and truth be told you and every one else it seems have said just to get a Harris, I guess that's why I haven't ordered the Volquartsen parts yet, I know I want to add the Harris bipod to the order but didn't want to add 70-100 butI know I really *DO* want to, just being difficult I guess. This helps my decision much tho.

12. Adam5

Adam5

I want to put a bipod on my 597, but it doesn't have a sling stud to mount to.

Has anyone here added a front sling stud for this purpose?

I'm thinking of something along these lines with the machine screw and nut. Is there room under the barrel of the 597?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=366960