Remington .380 ACP 102gr Golden Saber in Vyes Ballistics Gel

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 5pins, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Pluto57

Pluto57

So would I, provided I could shoot and manipulate the 9mm effectively. If not...

2. BBMW

BBMW

When you do these types of comparisons, you try to hold all the other variables constant, and just play with the one you want to compare. Shooter skill level / training, quality / reliability of the guns, shooting situation, etc.. Does it work that way in real life??????

GlockyQ likes this.

3. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Thanks for that test. XTPs and the 102gr GS have been my choices when I carried my Bodyguard.

Your results echo what others have found with that Golden Saber round: inconsistent expansion. My thinking is that isn't all bad, especially with a .380 that can sometimes lack penetration. Load up the mag with these heavy for caliber rounds and get a mix of expansion and penetration.

4. 30roundmusket

30roundmusket US Army Vet.

I'm confused. 380 vs 9mm. Last I checked dead is dead.

5. fredj338

fredj338

Why I am not a fan in general of anything under a 9mm. Not enough bullet mass & vel.

6. Quickling

Quickling

Thank you for the sub-9mm tests. Despite all of the caliber wagging, the expansion of all calibers and loads is valuable knowledge.

To everyone pooping on 380s.... ever see women's pants? My wife and I both wear 5.11s for a living. My pockets swallow a G39 which is my EDC. My wife's pants barely fit her S&W bodyguard. I would much rather have her armed with a short barreled 380 than not be armed at all. This is not an issue of her needing to hit the gym. Its an issue of concealing what we can in our uniforms.

Continuing on that theme, since I am loading 380 for her to practice with, if she wants a slightly larger gun for carry with a different outfit, we already have plenty of 380 at a time when ammo is more scarce than guns. It is easier to buy her a bigger 380 gun than it is to get more 9mm, and therefore ballistics testing with both short and long barreled 380s are valuable to me.