Remington .380 ACP 102gr Golden Saber in Vyes Ballistics Gel

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 5pins, Oct 28, 2020.

1. 5pins

5pins Millennium Member

Maccabeus, Joshhtn, fastbolt and 2 others like this.
  2. unit1069

unit1069

Looks to be a good round for cold weather if you decide to carry a .380ACP since penetration reaches 15-16 inches through clothing.

Jdirt likes this.

3. Wererat

Wererat

After all the 380 number crunching, even with the shortcomings of clear gel, there's enough evidence that barrel length matters. I don't suppose you have a friend with a 42 or 380EZ rather than the Little C***** Pistol? :)

4. 5pins

5pins Millennium Member

I could find a .380 in a bigger gun but why. If I'm going to carry a bigger gun then I would just carry a 9mm.

5. 8X8

8X8

Because carrying a 380 with a 4” barrel makes any sense at all? What a freaking joke! Work out and carry a 9mm ha ha

slamdunc likes this.
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I'll stick with XTP-based .380 bullets.

pAZ Ron likes this.
  7. bubbatime

bubbatime

Sharkey and cbetts1 like this.
  8. Wererat

Wererat

Oh good, caliber steroids.

This thread and my comment are about a test, and apparently people like to test .380 ACP, because there's a bunch of that sort of data on the 'net (mostly cleargel with all its defects -- and kudos again to 5 for amending your testing). The results of all that indicate that pairing a weaker caliber with a tiny barrel is like choosing an auto transmission for a Miata in terms of power, and there's a jump in results between 2.something and 3.something. That's not ego or whatever, just data.

There's probably a good reason there's 1 (one) 9mm with a 2.7" barrel (the Solo Carry). Conversely, many production .380s have 3.x" barrels, including one from the maker this site's named after... if you think they're all crazy, take it up with them.

Lagamor, ThatGuyYouKnow and Joshhtn like this.
  9. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

380EZ has a 3.675" barrel while still being overall a very light and concealable package.

A .380 works best when it has at least a 3.5" barrel.

10. BBMW

BBMW

But when you go to something the size of the Shield EZ, you can move to 9mm, with very little change in carriability. Same with pretty much any 3.5" or greater barrel length gun (like the 9mm Shield EZ.)

People generally carry .380s for their tinyness. But the tiny ones are the least effective.

11. BBMW

BBMW

Any tests, especially from LCP sized guns?

12. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

It's true that you can get 9mms that are as small, skinny, and light as the .380EZ. However, recoil is going to be annoying from a platform that small. That's not going to encourage people to practice and become skilled with that weapon.

So just because you "can" do something, doesn't mean you "should."

Meanwhile, the 380 EZ has .22LR-like recoil. So you can practice with it all day.

A highly skilled shooter with a .380 is much more effective than a guy with a 9mm who rarely or never practices with the weapon.

13. Pluto57

Pluto57

Except for people who carry the Shield EZ, who mostly do so because of it's unique features and their inability to handle the recoil of a 9mm. The size is a benefit both in reducing recoil and making the .380 a bit more effective.

Sharkey, triggerjerk and hannstv like this.
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Thanks for the test using the LCP, as it's a popular diminutive .380 pistol. ;)

If I could slip a larger 9mm into my front jeans pocket, I'd not be carrying a LCP from time to time. Not all of my favored jeans will even conceal a J-frame in the front pocket.

For those who decry smaller guns, I'm old enough to have long since tired of the "dress around the gun" mantra everyday/night. BTDT for more than enough years, so "pocketable" (with a pocket holster) gets the nod in many circumstances.

15. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Isn’t it easier to rack the slide, also?

16. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Super easy. Barely an inconvenience.

17. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yes, that's one its unique features. It really is a good choice for shooters who are recoil sensitive and don't have the strength to rack the slide on a conventional semi-auto.

18. bubbatime

bubbatime

I believe the Shield EZ380 is defective and not reliable enough for self defense. Lots of problems on the smith forum, to include some magazine issues that smith has agreed is a problem but so far has refused to fix. I’ve owned two of them and both were not reliable. They are fun to shoot, feel good in the hand, and have a nice feature set.

I am of the opinion that if they gave it a double stack 15-17 round magazine and made it reliable , it would be the best 380 pistol on the market and would sell gang busters !

19. BBMW

BBMW

Let's back this up here just a little bit.

We went down the EZ rabbit hole because someone was using the EZ as a size example. Yes, i know the EZ has a particular designed user base who'd be more amenable to the lower recoil of the .380 version. That's fine, if someone needs .380 because they can't handle 9mm recoil, it's certainly better than harsh language. But this was never specifically about them.

Looking at the broader market, given the HUUUUGGGGEEEEEE sales of single stack subcompact 9mm guns in sizes as small, and significantly smaller than the EZ, there are plenty of people who like then, and don't seem to have any problem shooting them.

Flipping back to .380, the bulk of people buying .380 guns seem to do so for their tinyness, smaller than even the single stack subcompact 9s. And when you get don't to LCP sized guns, I don't think you're getting any better shootability than something like a G43. You're just getting slightly easier carry. And again, if I have to rely on a gun to actually stop a BG, not just scare him away, I'd trust any 9mm gun with decent ammo vis any .380 with equally decent ammo.

20. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

The Glock 42 is just the right size. Big enough to handle the Underwood 90 grain XTP Plus+P ammo but small enough to carry in your pocket.