close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington 1917 Enfield 30-06

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Deaf Smith, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Found one at a pawn shop. Pretty good condition with the ordinance bomb burst on both the barrel and receiver. Origional stock, no alterations. Same for sights and all hardware.

So, how much does one of these go for? They want $495.

Thanks,

Deaf

2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I don't know a hell of a lot about them, but I have seen them at gunshows for as high as 800.00. Since it is a pawn shop, they probably got it dirt cheap. I would think there would be some wiggle room on the price.

I would offer 350.00, and pay as much as 400.

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

495 is a fair price. Check the barrel for pitting and corrosion as well as wear. Most likely it was rebuilt at one point in time and has a mixture of parts from different manufacturers. Good luck.

4. cdemarse

cdemarse NRA Life Member

Check barrel and bolt and make sure they are all stamped "R" Finding a parts matched 1917 is difficult. At sometime it usually had something changed.

I dont suppose they gauged it?

5. banger

banger

The model 1917 an excellent rifle.

The were made by Remington, Winchester, and "Eddystone". Eddystone was an arsenal run by Remington located in southeast Pennsylvania.

A bit of trivia... Many people think of the WWI Dough boys being armed with 1903 Springfield.

While correct, apparently there were more 1917's in theater than Springfield's.

This is truly one rifle that does not get the respect it deserves.

Concerning finding "matching" rifles.

A now passed friend worked at Raritan Arsenal rebuilding small arms of all types.

While discussing M-1 Garands one time he explained...

After WWII batches of rifles would be "called in", usually in quantities of 3,000 or so.

The rifles would be disassemble with no thought at all of condition or wear.

Parts were refinished in mass.

Components such as Receivers would be tested on gauges for correct dimensions, Barrels check for wear, chamber spec. muzzles etc..

The rifles would be "reassemble" simply by taking parts from a bin and replacing them into a rifle.

NO ATTEMPT WAS MADE to match parts (Winchester in Winchesters, Springfield's in Springfield's and such).

Items such as approved improved designs would be replaced and obsolete parts discarded. (think sights and locking bars and such).

The rifle would be tested, and if approved placed back into inventory for "re-issue".

This procedure was followed across all models, M-1, M-1 Carbine, 1903's. Bar's and belt feds such as M-1919's and such.

BTW, by way of trivia, employees of the arsenal in the 1950's could buy Krag's for $3.00 each, and ammo was a penny a round.

Just thought I would share this info.

6. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

A $3 krag :)

7. thisaway

thisaway

$495 is a fair price for the rifle if it is in good condition. Be sure to check the bore.

8. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

If the barrel is good, $495 is good. CMP has Service Grades which THEY describe as having dark bores and not much rifling for $500 plus $22.95 shipping plus the paperwork so $495 plus sales tax is in the same ballpark and you get to handle and check it out.

I agree with Banger, it is an excellent (and accurate) rifle, and yes, historical records show that the primary rifle issued to AEF forces in France was the US Rifle 1917.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The M1917 is a bad mamajama unlike the cheap, Mauser knockoff that is known as the M1903.