close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reminder of the dangers. stay alert, stay alive

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blades012, Jan 28, 2010.

1. blades012

blades012

2. madcitycop

madcitycop

This video is incredible. Way to adapt to the situation at hand and remain calm! Question for anyone local that may know, I saw him reach down to his radio on his belt a couple times, you guys have emergency buttons on your radios?

3. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

Jeebus

We have emergency buttons on our radios, push it and you get 5 secs of air time.

4. madcitycop

madcitycop

We push ours and dispatch we get the air and dispatch activates our alert tone checks our status and sends everyone, their brothers and sisters, moms and dads and activates the national guard.

5. blades012

blades012

Yes, we use the same radios as county, there is an emergency button that over-rides all other traffic. You can also key up the mic from the actual radio instead of the mic.

6. madcitycop

madcitycop

I was curious if thats what he was doing while he was touching it.

7. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Very professional in how he handled the stopped individual. Prayers for him, as I know that it is very unsettling to have someone off themselves after threatening to off you.

8. articulate

articulate

It'll probably take a crowbar to unclench his cheeks after that encounter. Congrats to him for adapting and overcoming. Frankly, he was probably better off without cover... it could have easily gone another way if cover showed up before he offed himself.

That being said, the little red button can be a lifesaver. It's like calling out "open bar" at a frat party.

9. tank mechanic

tank mechanic

I know this is monday morning quarterbacking, but it is surprising that the deputy did not square up with the suspect. That would have helped improve his chances of taking a bullet to the vest as opposed to the unprotected portions of his torso.

10. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

We went over this today in the academy. Deputy was just back on the road after working in a local high school for nearly 10 years or something to that affect.

11. matt86

matt86 Oink Oink

Thats definitely a very, very difficult situation

12. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I assumed this was another Calhoun County, not MI.... I know some of those guys out there... Glad the officer wasn't hurt, hell of a set of cojones he's got on him to remain that calm..

The driver seemed pretty calm, nonchalant through the initial stages, I would have never expected him to be trouble... not like that.

Also, credit to the father for his words to the officer... hard to think of others when you're in that much pain.

So THIS is why the Sheriff dept issues brown pants! :whistling:

Lets call it Business Camoflage instead of Business Casual...

Randy

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  13. op2k

op2k

Wow! I finally caught my breath after watching that. Hopefully, the Deputy had some good post-incident debriefing or at least seeks some counseling. In situations like that, it's easy to beat yourself up over what you could have done differently or how you could have handled the situation differently. What matters is he went home that night.

14. blades012

blades012

steveksux, it is Calhoun County, Michigan. Are you close?

15. GusDog

GusDog

Flashlight in the gun hand? I'm just sayin'......

16. ugly8604

ugly8604

Dirty south deputy tactics are awesome

17. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Thank God the Deputy was able to remain calm and come out of that situation alright.

These are two things that I spotted also.

18. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

We were taught to blade ourselves away from suspects. Just saying.

That could have really gone to **** in a hurry. At least the poor soul didn't take the officer with him.

19. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Yeah, I noticed. Shocked it was that Calhoun County, there's another one in another state, I assumed that was it at first.

I'm actually in Oakland county, not close at all, but I was over there a number of times for a former job...
    Worked with a few road guys, a few CO's, a few in the prosecutors office. For the record: more like a colleague than a customer. :supergrin:

Randy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. blades012

blades012

Not making excuses for him, as there are some evident tactical issues (Monday morning QBing is acceptable because this officer wants others to learn and has already been released to some departments for training). He was a SRO for a while.

Tunnel vision came up when BG put the gun away and LEO continued to give commands in regards to the gun and not drawing his own.

If something can be learned from it, great. If someone wants to bad mouth him, not good. (Another website has the video and some people are rather unappropriate about their comments. Just saying if you ever watch MVRs of yourself it a WOW experience.