Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll likely regret this, but can someone educate me as to why we continue to try to steer the internal politics of Afghanistan?

1. I'm not talking about how we first ended up there. I totally get the 9/11 argument.

2. What are our goals short and long term?

3. Thousands of lives and over $1 trillion have gone into the project already without a tangible or identifiable positive outcome.

4. Throughout history, many have tried to control Afghanistan to one degree or another. We've lasted at the effort longer than most. No one has really won.

5. What's the pay back to the U.S. for this effort?

6. I don't believe in a war to promote freedom for the Afghans. I don't think they or any other muslim country really wants Western style freedom. We won't seize their assets to help pay down the financial costs. What's the point?

·
Señor Member
8,204 Posts
It's complicated?

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
I'm guessing that it is as good a place to kill ISIS and it's "ilk" as anywhere, but far better than here.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
The problem now is if we pack up and leave, the Taliban (who supported the terrorists responsible for 9/11) will take control again and plot another attack against us.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I'm guessing that it is as good a place to kill ISIS and it's "ilk" as anywhere, but far better than here.
I'd imagine this. If we leave they will reassert themselves and start over. I guess the thinking is that if we can change the afghan culture to the point they won't allow the terrorists back in, we can leave then.
Naïve, I know. They call it the "graveyards of empires" for a reason. I have no idea of the correct course if action. I pay a lot of taxes for people smarter than me to figure it out though. I think I'm wasting my money.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
..................because it has traditionally been the place where empires go to die?

·
Registered
10,920 Posts

·
Banned
7,284 Posts
So we can protect the poppy crop and heroin industry, so we can continue to have an opioid OD epidemic in the US, and can grow government, usurp power from the people, and increase the budget of the DEA.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
job not done.
*****footed around, withdrew troops, strict/restrictive rules of engagement.
forget hearts and minds, kill bad guys (and gals).
pull out, ISIS and all the rest of the worlds misfits will move right in, we will be forced at, some point, to return.

·
Banned
17,266 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
So we can protect the poppy crop and heroin industry, so we can continue to have an opioid OD epidemic in the US, and can grow government, usurp power from the people, and increase the budget of the DEA.
There is probably more truth to that than it appears, and that people will tend to believe. The web of truth is a very tangled one, indeed.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
That Trillion dollars you spoke of went into someones pocket and they dont want it to stop.
The truth as I believe it has somewhat been touched here but I shall not muddy the stream further.

·
7,245 Posts
We're there trying to figure out how to make an exit and save face. Anyone that thinks that we will change the hearts and minds of those people are mistaken. After we are finally gone from there Afghanistan will continue to be no different than we found it. A "God forsaken Hell-Hole of depravity".

Our current policy now seems to be one of bluffing the American public into believing that we can train the Afghan Army to defend their country against the Taliban. Something that we've been doing without success for over a decade.

I see nothing good coming to America with "Afghanistan's" continued name on it. Just the continued blood of America's finest.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts