Remembering Okie - Need Content for Memorial Newsletter

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by Eric, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

Hi folks. I know everyone is shocked and saddened to hear of Okie's passing. There are a lot of GT members who aren't on as much or have drifted away from the site and I want to reach out to them all to let them know what happened, so I am going to send out a Memorial newsletter about Okie, at the end of the week.

I would appreciate it if people could share info and stories about who he was, where he worked, how he lived, etc, here in this thread. If you have stories about time you spent with him here or IRL, that would be great. Also, if you have pics or video of him, please attach them to messages and post them here as well.

If I get enough content to support it, I'll put up a static memorial page to him and have it linked to here, in the newly-minted The Okie Corral forum. Thanks. Eric

2. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

I went shooting with Mark and some other GT'ers a few years back in Northern Mississippi. Mark knew I was a left-coast transplant to the South, and had this song on-deck when we climbed out of the trucks to shoot in the woods. It's been a favorite of mine ever since. He was a big David Dover fan and you should have seen the grin on his mug when he blasted this for me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNRY1voCHM"]David Dover : Mississippi Mud - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a pic of Mark I took that same day:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

3. dango

dango

Wow , Okie ..! You are of the few , that as unique and contra controversial as I am , with no prejudice , no judgmental opinion
    Just the pure ness of mind and heart to see only the good in all
    Things.!

I have lost two people this week that can never be replaced .! Two of the most incredibly wonderful people any one could have had the honor to share a piece of themselves with someone so little as myself..!

Okie , George , hold my place among you , for I am shortly going to join you..!

All involved , remember the man and his deeds and not the passing ..! Cry for joy and the pleasure okie has been too all our lives..! RIP , prayers sent too all others..! :crying:

4. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

End the letter with "my friend" Okies favorite way to end posts

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Oh my God! Is that snow? We're all gonna die!

I remember he loved his Dodge truck and Alf.

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I had known him online for a year or so when he flew out here to Vegas for DigitsMa and Pa's wedding, he was the best man and I was the volunteer photographer.

My first time meeting him was so strange. I almost never meet anyone bigger then me, but he was! With a huge smile, he gave me a handshake and hug, we looked like two bears mauling each other.

We hit a local buffet and started talking, and it turns out we had a ton in common in life and ideas, and we were instant friends.

We talked on the phone occasionally, especially after DigitsMa passed, and a few times when he was looking to relocate for better work opportunists.

He was has nice a person as I have ever met. A truly kind soul. I don't believe he ever met a stranger, everyone was a future friend.

We are all better for knowing him.

7. 2bgop

2bgop

Not sure if you can work it in, but Okie loved a good Mexican breakfast, he and I talked often about menudo often. He loved it on Sunday mornings.

8. janice6

janice6

I believe he was my friend. That's all I have.

9. JMS

JMS 02

I hope the forum name change is permanent. As long as I have been a member, Okie was a wonderful fixture on this forum. He took pride in his jobs and always strived to do the best he could in anything he did. I remember for awhile thinking to myself, "who works in a salt mine?" until I realized that everywhere he worked was "the salt mine."

RIP Okie.

10. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

"Everything is okie dokie, my friend" <--- the last words he said to me

11. Chaos

Chaos S.n.a.f.u.

You know..it is really sad when people pass away, and you read all the good comments people post about them..and you think how sad it is that the people will never know how the rest of us felt about them, and maybe that this should have all been said when they were still around.
    Well...with Okie, I don't get this feeling. Because I think he knew how we all felt about him, and a lot of this had been said in threads when he was around. In fact, we are all lucky to have known him, and told him this over the years here on the forum...and for some lucky folk...in person.
    So no regrets about not letting him know how we all felt. He knew, and I am sure he realized how important he was to all of us online friends.
    He was a cool cat..a man among men. A man whose heart was as big as his personality. And he will be missed.

Chaos.

12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Well said. tom.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Still having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around this.

IGF

14. WarCry

WarCry

I agree with this.

I wish I had something to contribute. I didn't know him in RL, and only rarely interacted with him on here. But I know that when I saw his posts, they nearly always left a smile or a laugh with me. Reading all the posts from others, I feel lessened for not knowing him better.

15. billkill

billkill

He is the only man I know who had over 180,000 friends.

16. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

I never met Mark in person, but I do recall he was the only other person here that appreciated the beauty of a 70's era Dodge Dart (we both had one as our first car).

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I didn't know okie that well, certainly not like many here... but on his old computer he had expressed an interest in trying Linux.

He certainly wasn't the most "tech savvy" person.. I believe his exact words to me were, "I'm as dumb as a brick". So I attempted to "baby step" him through partitioning his hard drive and setting up a dual boot system. This went way over his head.

When I realized he just wasn't getting it, I set up an IRC channel and told him how to meet me there.... I talked him through setting up a remote connection, and told him I'd do the partitioning for him. His reaction when I took over his computer was absolutely priceless. We chatted for a bit while the installation completed. Sad to say, that was my most extensive interaction with him, other than a periodic PM asking a linux question.

18. BEER

BEER bad example

you aint the only one.

i remember okie being the ultimate cooler. every now and then there'd be some thread where the whole rogues gallery of ***hole allstars (myself included) would be going at each other hammer and tongs. then okie would pop in and reply to some random person like 3 pages back with maybe 6 words and all of a sudden the fighting and bickering would calm way down and the thread would get back on track.

you just couldn't be anything but positive and optimistic around okie, trying to be anything else when he was around made me feel like i just cussed in front of my great grandmother or something.

damn i'm gonna miss him.

19. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Never met him, but I feel we all knew him, his postings were so humble and genuine.

I'm rather in shock with all of this: I had no idea his condition was so grave.....

Sad days for us all.
    But we salute and honor his memory. Rest easy, big guy! Later!!

20. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Okie loved buffets, Kimbers and was a big fan of Styx and Kansas.